Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Luis, you did well sir, thanks for the report, enjoyed that.

JB, thanks for the info. Thought about it after the post on SLG888 post on bullets, my doc friend that had mixed results on 2 safari's, was using the original X or perhaps and XBT if they made it, the 165 in '06.

You may or may not have something to say about the 'evolution' of R&D at Barnes and how the TSX and later TTSX came about and changed results. Some rumors I heard in the past were that the material used in mfg. was of inconsistent hardness and affected the results. Later being corrected. No idea if there was truth in that story, but nothing but positive things said from most nowadays w/current Barnes from what I see.

What are you seeing and hearing with E-tips, vs. say FS and Barnes?

BTW, guys, no flies on 30s, just never been my interest, no doubt they do a fine job. The '06 and H&H are timeless classics. Perhaps the 6.5x55 and 7x57 are elsewhere.

Thanks all.

Last edited by 65BR; 09/14/10.
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
65BR,
I would probably go with the 9.3... with a lighter bullet. But you are right in the ranges. I know here by me, shots are hardly ever over 200 m. But the chances are that a real monster steps out , and you will have to take that chance in bagging him. But, try taking something that you are comfortable with , and maybe shoots a little bit flatter. Atleast you will take the guess work out of your shots.
...and practise , practise , practise

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
Z
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Z
As a PH I would recommend the 300WM. However just had a .338 on safari which took everything from Sable and Croc to the diminutive Oribi. It is advisable to use solids on the small stuff.

In the past I owned a 9.3 by 62 which is a great caliber but you would be wise to use something that shoots a little flatter especially for ranges up to 200m and beyond.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Little to add to this that hasn't been said. I am a huge fan of the .338 WM and had great success with it on my first trip to Namibia which included some very long shots in the Erongo Mountain region. On the same trip, my son used and '06, and though we recovered everything, the 180 gr fusions were not a good choice (great accuracy but so-so penetration). Any of the .33 cal calibers would be similar to the WM at the animal's end of the trajectory. Next year, for a pure plains game hunt, I'll use a .318 Westley Richards (.318 British measurement - .33 U.S.) Last year, with buffalo on the card, I used a .375 for everything - it worked great as well. As someone else noted, I expect more PH's have .300 WM's as camp guns than any other caliber.

For a first trip, I don't think I would recomend the 7-08 as an optimum choice. It absolutely will work, but it leaves you less margin for error and you will have fewer exit wounds on the larger Plains Game. If you haven't done this before in Africa, shooting over sticks with a critical audience is different. You need to shoot quickly, accurately, and something decisive needs to happen at the other end. If you are placing those bullets correctly, you also are well forward of where you would be on a deer and you often will be driving through bones. A 200+ gr premium bullet from a .33 does that awfully well.

"We sleep peaceably in our beds because rough men stand ready in the
night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" Winston Churchill
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
In truth, probably the best plainsgame rifles are the 300 magnums, followed by the 270 and 30-06 etc...They cover the field of African plainsgame shooting very well indeed..But if you want to shoot the calibers you mention, then that is your choice, but be prepared to perhaps fail on ocassion..

I have hunted plainsgame with the .404 and .416 Rem. and it worked fine but I passed up some shots at some nice animals that I would have taken with a 300..This didn't bother me, but I have hunted plainsgame many many times. Someone on their first hunt might be shorting themselves by doing the same, but that is a personal decision that only you can make.

I am a great fan of the 9.3x62, but it is a fairly short range caliber..Your PH knows the country where he hunts better than any of us, I would suggest you take his advise.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Ray,

Do you have any experience with the 338 Sabi? By appearances it looks a lot like a 338-06 AI with the stated design being to offer more case capacity to provide lower operating pressures rather than more velocity. Another modernized 318 WR/333 Jeffery if you will.

Your thoughts?

Jeff

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Can't speak to any of the calibers in the subject line, but I am seriously considering taking a 338RCM that I've put together on a M70 Classic action on my first plains game hunt. Still working on loads using the 185gr and 210gr TSXs - possibly the 185 GMX from Hornady when it becomes available.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have looked at the Sabi while in So. Africa..See little reason to opt for it over a factory available 338-06..In 338 my choice is the .338 Win. as the action is std. length, it outperforms all the mentioned above calibers with a 210 Nosler at 3005 FPS and a 300 gr. Woodleigh at 2500 FPS..you can't beat that for and all around caliber..

By the same token I see the 30-06 with a 180 or 200 gr. nosler at 2700 FPS an excellent plainsgame caliber. Hard to beat indeed.
I am not particularly a caliber buff per sey, rather a beliver in a properly constructed bullet for the game I'm shooting and placing that bullet in the right spot is utmost.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Amen to what Ray said.

No African plains game is as heavy as an elk or harder to kill except possibly eland and giraffe. There is no reason to use anything larger than a .300 magnum with 180 grain Nosler Partitions. But if something bigger floats your boat, so be it. You will be shooting it because you want to, not because you need to.

Personally if I felt the need for a bigger round--if I were hunting buff as well as plains game, for instance--I would go all the way to the .375 H&H.

My particular .375 H&H shoots sub-MOA with several different bullets and seems to kick less harshly than my (lighter weight) .300 Weatherby.

Last edited by IndyCA35; 10/05/10.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
151 members (257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 1minute, 19 invisible), 1,972 guests, and 949 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,650
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.