Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Ok, I put a minty red pad #1A chambered in 7x57 on hold this morning. While I'd rather have it in a RSI, this little 1A felt good. Decent wood and an older Balvar 2.56x scope (Baush & Lomb ?) $735 and it's mine. hate to let it get away but also not something I am really filling a void with.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you like the concept of the #1, I think you may really appreciate the Mauser round in the A version. I have several 1s and the 45-70 "S" version and the "A" versions are my favorites. I've got both a 270 which my son shoots, and it's in better shape than my x57, but I simply like the little 7. It's fun to shoot, fun to carry, and fun to hunt with. I would not let it go unless you've got a friend you really treasure who wants it also.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Have 6 or 7 #1's currently so yeah, I like the concept. wink I prefer the A's and S's myself also.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Big punch, little case. Perfectly balanced cartridge that seems to do more than it should be able to.

Buy it. I'd love to have a 7x57 #1A myself, with both a .270 and a 30-06 in that model already, I'm clearly sold on the rifle. My 7x57 is a bolt gun.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Work up loads, spend a season hunting with it... We won't need to sell you on it... It will sell itself... grin

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
It is the smallest lightest recoiling rifle that I would shoot and elephant with..Those long 175 gr. solids at 2600 FPS with a good handload have a ton of penetration, and that is what made the 7x57 famous. I have seen an elephant killed with a 7x57 with a heart shot and a 175 gr. Woodleigh solid, it ran 100 or so yards and tipped over dead, bled like a stuck hog, I have never seen that much blood and the results were reminesent of the kills I have seen with a .416, 375 or 470 N.E. I am sold on the caliber, but the 30-06 is just as good or better.

However, if one needs to be convenced then probably a good idea to just pass on it....

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I haven't killed any elephant with the 7x57 (or anything with solids), but have used it on springbok and pronghorn out to around 375 yards and it worked fine. Have also used it on bigger game including impala, warthog, bighorn sheep, mule deer, wildebeest, elk, kudu and moose out to 250 yards, and have yet to experience any problem--other than a couple caused by operator error.

Bullets used have included everything from cup-and-cores to Nosler Partitions to bonded cores to TSX's. All the animals died within at most 100 yards of being hit, and 90% went 50 yards or less.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Its the ultimate, consummate cartridge.....duh.....

grin

wink

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Like Ray said, if it's not something you want, you ought pass. Leave it for someone who would appreciate it.

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The cartridge has been around since 1892 and Ruger has offered it in the No. 1 since 1977 or so. Why does anyone need to "sell" you on anything? Do you lack the confidence to make your own choices?

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Bricktop did kill an Elk last year with his #1-A in 7X57. A 175 gr round nose bullet did the deed.

Doc

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have 22 Ruger #1 rifles in various configurations ranging from .22 Hornet to .416 Rigby. Should I decide to sell off most of the herd, my #1A in 7x57 would be the only one considered "Not for sale!" Nuff said?
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
W.D.M. Bell
Mouse

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Well, to those that gave helpful responses, I thank you. This isn't a cartridge I've have experience with and while I love the platform, I guess I simply needed that extra nudge.
To the rest... It's terrible to wish bad upon another but I still don't let it keep me up at night. wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BlkHawk73
Well, to those that gave helpful responses, I thank you. This isn't a cartridge I've have experience with and while I love the platform, I guess I simply needed that extra nudge.
To the rest... It's terrible to wish bad upon another but I still don't let it keep me up at night. wink
No one wishes bad upon you, you're just a knucklehead who can't make a decision without consulting strangers on the internet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Now, if I could only ignore (block from view) that mack-nasty avatar...

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The 7x57, along with the 6.5x55, are cartridges that by their existence prove beyond doubt that newer is not necessarily better. It's almost as if the designer knew not only what he was doing at the time, but what wonderful propellants and projectiles would be available beyond his lifetime. Smooth feeding, easy on brass and shoulders, bore diameter that is sufficiently supported by your basic soft point bullet, plus the vicarious link to history thru the use of a 100+ yr old round. It is a proven standard, an often copied blueprint, a routine success. Good grief, I believe I just defined "fun".

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
Now, if I could only ignore (block from view) that mack-nasty avatar...
What's up? You two pickle lickers taking a break from your "pride parade?"

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by shootem
The 7x57, along with the 6.5x55, are cartridges that by their existence prove beyond doubt that newer is not necessarily better. It's almost as if the designer knew not only what he was doing at the time, but what wonderful propellants and projectiles would be available beyond his lifetime. Smooth feeding, easy on brass and shoulders, bore diameter that is sufficiently supported by your basic soft point bullet, plus the vicarious link to history thru the use of a 100+ yr old round. It is a proven standard, an often copied blueprint, a routine success. Good grief, I believe I just defined "fun".

Bingo!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I do not have 1A in 7x57, but darned if that ain't a sexy little thing!

I can speak to the balvar. it is Baush & Lomb I have owned three, and they are good glass, but as they were made in the late 60's thrut he early 70's, many lack the coatings that are prevalent n the later scopes. Perhaps you have a later model with internal adjustments - THOSE are fine glass indeed!

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
703 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 77 invisible), 2,944 guests, and 1,372 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,681
Posts18,399,678
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.