Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have to disagree Indy. I think it would be unethical to hunt DG with a 50BMG, but I also think that it would leave a nice big void between the ears or in the chest of anything walking this earth. Bone would not stand a chance.

[Linked Image]
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Assuming you could get within range toting the silly useless thing, I doubt if it would be as effective as traditional elephant rifles in .45 and .50 caliber shooting 500 or 535 grain bullets at around 2200 fps. The pointed BMG bullets would tend to change direction when they struck bone. You don't kill an elephant by "hydrostatic shock," whatever that is, and ordinary .458 elephant rounds penetrate plenty deep enough to kill. As do .375s for that matter.

And incidentally, a fast second shot might be nice and you ain'ta gonna do that with no .50 BMG, especially if you have to swing the gun and snap shoot.

given more elephants have prolly been killed with the AK47 than any other rifle/cartridge im betting the 50BMG bullet will penetrate in a straight line through bone just fine.....a 30-06 with FMG rounds do and the 50BMG is a 30-06 scaled up proportionally....

the silliness comes in toting around the heavy arse rifle all day, not any inability of the round.....

Last edited by rattler; 10/05/10.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Good luck getting this type of damage with a 500NE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsD64KkCBFs

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'm a good looking MF'r ain't I Greenhorn! I lost that pic, I bet it was your screen saver huh?

Even though I think your being a jackazz for leaving smartazz remarks in AH section, I cannot leave your head on the body of Richard Simmons. I tend to have a little more respect for members and my fellow sportsman. You should also.

It's removed.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
"im betting the 50BMG bullet will penetrate in a straight line through bone just fine"

You lose the bet.

100 years of elephant hunting experience proves that round nosed solids, or lately flat nosed ones, are necessary for straight line penetration.

The reason elephants get killed with AK 47s is the goons shoot at 20 elephants and don't care if 10 of them escape wounded. Try that with your $10,000 sport hunting trophy fee and your one elephant quota.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
not all 50 bmg rounds are pointed.... there are other projectiles... i have barnes X in mine.... they open..... and IIRC there are banded solids...

BTW Greenhorn... I love that elk photo! Great job!

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by RUMlover
Good luck getting this type of damage with a 500NE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsD64KkCBFs

Geez.... WTF did he hit that with... the ones I've shot have been 50 cal in , 50 cal out.... just like a punched hole.... I"ve yet to see that kind of damage. In fact my 50 cal ones have less damage than most average deer rifle rounds...

As to the poster who said unethical... WTF is that supposed to mean? F olks need to get off their high arrogant horses.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
No offense meant, Rost. I am referring to those who think that shooting an elephant at 500yrds is sporting. If you want to carry that brick up close and personal, thats your business and more power to ya. Not necessarily the caliber I disagree with, just the though of hunting DG at long ranges.

[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
A double rifle could be built for the .50 BMG that would weigh no more than a .500 Nitro Express and since it would be a sporting model, it would be no more difficult to bring into the African countries than any other sporting rifle.

It's only a name. It could just as easily have been Nosler Partition.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
So, whose gonna be the first to pull the trigger on a 12lbs 50cal with no brake?

[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
name me one of your round nosed bullets hitting with 13,000 foot pounds of force......that spitzer bullet aint gonna be diverted enough to miss the brain....whole hell of alot of reasons why you aint gonna use a 50BMG to hunt elephants the fact your arguing this part is idiotic in the extreme.........

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Monolithic_Solid
A double rifle could be built for the .50 BMG that would weigh no more than a .500 Nitro Express and since it would be a sporting model, it would be no more difficult to bring into the African countries than any other sporting rifle.

Sorry, but no. You'll never get a 50 Cal round past the TSA on an international flight. Second a bolt action BMG is practically impossible to shoot off hand and no way you can shoot it unbraked. A double? jeez, you bringing an APC to tote it around. Do you have any idea what an elephant hunt entails in the way of walking and carrying that absurd weapon. I'm sure it will shoot through a few elephants, that's not the issue, the issue is the very idea of the subject that blew threw the thin line between the sublime and the ridiculous like crap through a goose. Have you ever shot a 50BMG of the shoulder unbraked or otherwise? Do you have any idea what it entails to build a double to regulate properly? This thread needs a 50BMG, right between the eyes.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Jorge, the answer to all of your questions is yes. I've never hunted elephant, but I've read all about it and I know what it curtails. We've seen some very big, very hard kicking double and bolt action rifles, like the T Rex, and one could be chambered for the .50 BMG. There are people out there who seem to enjoy the recoi of these huge calibers. I'm not one of them, I'm only saying that the cartridge seems built for elephant. Had it been around 100 years ago, it certainly would have been used for dangerous game. I was just curious to find out if anyone else out there thought the .50 BMG ballistics would be devastating on elephant. Can anyone make an argument that it would be inneffective with proper bullets?

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I cartridge is the issue. I didn't mention anything in the beginning of this thread about the launch pad.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've been around the 50 Cal a long time during my thirty years in the Navy and I can tell you the 50cal with standard issue ball (AP) ammo will blow through an elephant and then some, no argument there, but I also know there isn't a human being that could take the recoil of a 50 on the shoulder with a 10 or even 15lb 50 cal rifle loaded to standard specs of a 750gr bullet2700 fps. The T-Rex ain't even close to that. I can also tell you from dealing with the Feds (TSA DHS) there is no way you could export a 50BMG like you would a 500NE. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
It won't be me, RUMlover, but I know some guys who would. If Frank Barnes were still with us, he'd do it.

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
You answered my question jorge. The .50 cal will blow through an elephant and then some. All this talk about recoil, weight of the rifle, getting it into an African country etc. was irrelevant. I only brought up the question of the cartridge and the only reason I brought it up, was to see if anyone else ever had the same idea. Apparently, I was the first.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I think this one would work with the silencer/suppressor installed.

http://www.anzioironworks.com/light_50.htm

smile

Chuck

Last edited by colorado; 10/05/10.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Yeah. That one would work Colorado. Not too heavy either.

G
G
Idi Amin was reported in Time Magazine as using a 50 BMG mounted on a truck. His idea of "hunting" was to chase the herd in his truck and machine gun the entire herd. That would alleviate the portability problem, but one's PH would never agree to it, I hope.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

107 members (10gaugemag, 35sambar, 358WCF, 673, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 15 invisible), 1,591 guests, and 878 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,656
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.