Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by RUMlover
No offense meant, Rost. I am referring to those who think that shooting an elephant at 500yrds is sporting. If you want to carry that brick up close and personal, thats your business and more power to ya. Not necessarily the caliber I disagree with, just the though of hunting DG at long ranges.

Sorry... I don't think that distance really matters... some days I kill up close.... some days not so close. Too many folks telling others how to do legal things..... IMHO. Its like choice of weapon, animal and so on, how and where you do it, as long as legal, should be your call.

One could argue it not "ethical" to shoot elephant with anything other than doubles too I'd think.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
BTW I've shot a few deer with my big 50... still have never seen anything but caliber in and out so far... I have not been able to tag one since I got the Barnes X bullets for it... that will be caliber in, inch out... I suspect...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They shoot humans with bigger stuff then that. Is a human about deer weight?

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
A small calculation shows the 460 Wby compared to the 50 BMG is about like a 30 calibre 180 grainer at 2600 compared to a 338 calibre 260 grainer at 2750 or so.

The SD of the 750 grain 50 calibre is 20% greater than the SD of the 500 grain 460.The SD of the 260 grain 338 is about 20% greater than the 180 grain 308. The 510 bullet is about 20% greater in cross sectional area than the 45 and 338 bullet is about 20% greater in cross sectional area than the 30

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Rost, Not saying its not legal, but it misses the point of a DG hunt. Are you after the trophy, or the experience?

[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You are right to the extent that it would not matter to the elephant. Through the lungs at fifty feet or 500 yards is the same to him. It would not be the same to any PH who guided you or any fellow DG hunter to whom you related the expectation or experience. The major difference in hunting DG and simply exterminating it, is in getting close. And that is, in a very real sense, an ethical issue. After all a 30mm chain gun mounted on a land cruiser would be an extremely efficient elephant killer - but not a particularly ethical one. An elephant killed at 50 feet with a .50 BMG would to my mind be an ethical kill - It's just that once one accepts the ethical need to get close, the package necessary for a transportable - stalkable - .50 BMG no longer passes the common sense test.

"We sleep peaceably in our beds because rough men stand ready in the
night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" Winston Churchill
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Agreed!

[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Rost, Not saying its not legal, but it misses the point of a DG hunt. Are you after the trophy, or the experience?

I suspect its all in everyones minds and not worth the fun of the argument.... I don't get anything out of being close to the game and it being dangerous... I mean I don't have that desire. As close as I have is to shoot a buff with my bow... other than that no itch at all for African stuff. I say that.. I would not mind an Nyala on the wall either.

Point I'm getting at though is that each has their own set of desires and I wouldn't want someone telling me I CAN"T get up close and dangerous with an elephant.. as much as I don't want someone telling me I HAVE to get up close.

Guess I don't come across all that clear at times. But the experience can be the hunt, the weapon, how close or how far, and so on... many varying experiences can be had.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
[/quote]

I suspect its all in everyones minds and not worth the fun of the argument.... I don't get anything out of being close to the game and it being dangerous... I mean I don't have that desire. As close as I have is to shoot a buff with my bow... other than that no itch at all for African stuff. I say that.. I would not mind an Nyala on the wall either.

[/quote]

Buffalo as a "maybe" for me, otherwise, me too. We were in an archery blind as a previously dart-hunted white rhino bull SLOWLY moved past upwind at maybe 15 yards. I did not like it!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Of course if Merkel chambered a nice 15 lb double rifle in 50 BMG, well that's a horse of a different color ...

smile

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
FYI, the 50BMG's operating pressures are way above what is the norm for doubles.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
[Linked Image]
Ready for Jumbo!

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Monolithic_Solid
Seems to me like the .50 BMG cartridge would be about ideal for loxodonta africana. Has anyone ever used this round for elephant?

Why stop there, why not a 105 howitzer

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by whelennut
[Linked Image]
Ready for Jumbo!

Wouldn't it be better practice to move the car a little further away before shooting it? or os this rehearsal for a charge?

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by rost495
Good luck getting this type of damage with a 500NE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsD64KkCBFs

Geez.... WTF did he hit that with... the ones I've shot have been 50 cal in , 50 cal out.... just like a punched hole.... I"ve yet to see that kind of damage. In fact my 50 cal ones have less damage than most average deer rifle rounds...

As to the poster who said unethical... WTF is that supposed to mean? F olks need to get off their high arrogant horses.

I am thinkin' A-Max, not a solid.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey, why stop at .50? The Rangers use a 90mm recoiless rifle is definately man-portable. whistle

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
[Linked Image]
Ready for Jumbo!
I would use this on deer but it would way overpenetrate! grin
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
[Linked Image]
Ready for Jumbo!
I would use this on deer but it would way overpenetrate! grin
whelennut

Just load up some 600g Woodleigh protected points, they open up to over an inch in diameter and still hold together ... A little much for deer at 2700 fps though ...

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (12344mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 3,278 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,301
Posts18,468,064
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.