Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Im trying to set up a 22 ppc to prarie dog hunt need a bunch of casings. I found some SSA brass in 6 ppc is there any reason I couldnt just resize these in my 22 sizer ? their considerably cheaper than Lapua 220 russian & dont need to be as consistent for varmint hunting ?

BP-B2

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I'd think the 6PPC brass will size down with no problems. You'll have to measure case neck thickness after the neck down, and OAL. Make sure the case neck thickness is compatible with your rifle's chamber. Trim for correct length too.
That will be an awesome rifle.
I have a 22 BR...Love it.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Beretta USA had some Sako 6 PPC's on sale a while ago; dunno if they still are.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Buy a hundred of SSA and see what happens, then please report back to us.. I have a 22BR and a fat-neck reamer from Kiff, the necking and trim dies came from Redding. It was kind of spendy, but I am still on the original cases and a second barrel.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wow this is weird, you are the second guy in two days to ask about the forgotten "other" PPC. I love mine (have two of them) but if I were to start over I would look at the 6BR or the 22BR. Brass is easy to get and they shoot just as good and maybe a tad faster overall. Sorry no help on the brass - like I told the other guy I could sell you some of mine but NA!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ok so I'm stupid, you are the same guy twice LMAO

P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
I ordered up everything Id need , Dif. in price of the Lapua & SSA brass was a mere 9cents per case so went with Lapua for now But still plan on trying the SSA stuff. Chamber was 247 so I got a 243 Bushing for the wilson does that sound right.

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Paperkiller
I ordered up everything Id need , Dif. in price of the Lapua & SSA brass was a mere 9cents per case so went with Lapua for now But still plan on trying the SSA stuff. Chamber was 247 so I got a 243 Bushing for the wilson does that sound right.

How thick are the case necks going to be?
I shoot for a .002, or .0015 interference fit for the bullet in the case neck. So, the ID of the case neck would be .002, or .0015 smaller than the 244 bullet OD after neck sizing.
With new brass, I allow for a .001 spring back after neck sizing.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If the neck is 247 and the loaded cases are 245 or less, you are okay. Probably. Hope you won't have to turn necks. Ick. Phooey.
I think both my 223 and BR run 247-248 bushings, 248 fer shure with the BR.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Paperkiller: I am watching this thread closely.
I have a new in the box, unfired, Ruger 77 V/T in caliber 22 PPC and by next spring I need to have it set up and running for Colony Varminting as well.
I have the dies and lots of bullets (projectiles) but I also need brass!
I recently did a search and Cabelas had some 22 PPC brass by Norma - it cost $51.99 per 50 (fifty!!!)!
I am going to have to "bite the bullet" and send off my $104.00 and get 100 of them.
Gadzooks that price irks me - but I will have 22 PPC headstamped brass (I also have a 6mm PPC Varminter) and if the 22 PPC is anything like my two Varminters in 22 Remington Bench Rest then case life is apparently infinite?
Best of luck with your 22 PPC.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

E
E
I have a .22 PPC as well, I haven't shot it in years and am just getting back into varminting, so this is of interest to me. Fortunately, I have about 225 piece of Sako brass that is 2X fired that I bought back in the mid-'90's.

It appears Sako still mfgs. this brass and loaded ammo, but it isn't imported into the US. Surely there are enough .22 PPC shooters out there to warrant importing the Sako brass. It's a great round and I'd buy at least 500 pieces just to have a good supply of brass and not have to worry about finding brass again. I hate having to fireform cases, if you want to form a large number for varminting, it's just unnecessary wear on your barrel, IMO.

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by emmagee
I have a .22 PPC as well, I haven't shot it in years and am just getting back into varminting, so this is of interest to me. Fortunately, I have about 225 piece of Sako brass that is 2X fired that I bought back in the mid-'90's.

It appears Sako still mfgs. this brass and loaded ammo, but it isn't imported into the US. Surely there are enough .22 PPC shooters out there to warrant importing the Sako brass. It's a great round and I'd buy at least 500 pieces just to have a good supply of brass and not have to worry about finding brass again. I hate having to fireform cases, if you want to form a large number for varminting, it's just unnecessary wear on your barrel, IMO.

See you are relatively new here.
Welcome aboard!!
Don't think I've seen any 22 PPC Sako brass for sale here.
Might ne worth a call to Bruno Shooter's Supply in Phoenix to see if he has any.
Positive he has the 6PPC Sako brass though.
I have a 22 BR, so not interested in a 22 PPC. But, the 22 PPC is a humdinger round.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Maybe try some of the advertizers in Precision Shooting magazine. I form 6ppc brass out of Federal 7.62x39 brass.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Paper, do you have a neck turner? I'm almost sure you will have to turn.

With my BR the final size over the bullet is in the 250-251 range and the reamer (I think, I haven't looked at it in in two years but I know what box it's in) was 256. So that's four thousandths, maybe five.
I "make up" for that by sizing only the neck that actually holds the bullet, so I have "two shoulders."

I know there are some studs out there with turned and fitted necks but I'm not a benchrester. I do like bitty groups, tho.

As things are, I shot out my batch of Norma yesterday. My BR is a problem child with a mean owner. I used a 98 sporter, apparently it was an interwar commercial rifle, but kicked the crud out of me as an 8.57. (It was the stock, and the splinterweight barrel).
That became my first "custom," built out of Shotgun News sale items. After I shot out the first tube, I got a deal on a Lilja, screwed that on, and while doing load workup, blew up the rifle.
I was distracted, thinking about something else, while loading at the bench.
The chamber actually cracked circumferentially at the shoulder. I was not hurt, the most painful part was that the last group fired was a .261 and that was only about the 50th shot. The third lug saved me. I had to cut the action with a chop saw to get the bolt out.
So, I got a BNZ 42 butchered sporter for the action, cut off the destroyed back end of the barrel, pinned the stock back together with dowels and epoxy, rethreaded it and started all over again.
Two years later, the pet load shoots in the high threes and the Norma batch with another load finished up with two groups in the fours.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
1st Let me say Ive a mixed blessing here , the gun was apparently misrepresented when I bought it.It was sold to me as an unfired rechamber BBL. marked .247 neck. Well as I was beginning to work on my brass I just happened to drop a bulleted dummy rnd into the chamber & it fit?????? this rnd measured .253 So I DO NOT have a tight neck, Now in a way Im proud of that but I sure HATE TO BE MISREPRESENTED. So Iv got my 50 lapuas loaded &WILL SHOOT TODAY Or tommorrow, had to reorder bushings but ill have fire formed brass to work with. I HOPE this gun shoots acceptable. I would really prefer no turn necks, Just dont like to be lied to.

Last edited by Paperkiller; 10/06/10.
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Range Report
1st ILL describe the gun its a 40 x singleshot, BBl. looks to be original ( Drilled for sights) Marked .247 neck . Installed a leupold Base & Burris signature rings.trigger is a Timiney set under a lb. orig. wood stock, glass bedded with forend flattened off. Scope leupold 36x
Brass 220 russian lapua Unturned. the only thing I did to this brass was chamfer case mouth.
powder : random pick of 27.5 gr. of 2230 c
Bullet uncoated 53 gr. sierra .003 into the lands
primer Rem. 7 1/2
The Idea here was fireform brass, sight in gun , get experience with gun. I wont say that this is a benchrest rifle it isnt. I shot 3 shot groups. 1st went .256 & went up & down from there best grp. was .234 & worst that I didnt call was .356, I of course had some worse than that all the way to 1/2 " those were my fault Im no a benchrest shooter either. For fireforming Im happy ,it shoots about like my 40 x 223. I think Ill do better next time, with fireformed brass & will try diff. powders. Hope this helps. Still up in the air about the sass brass as its only 8cents a rnd. cheaper than lapua. Since Ill not be neck turning itll be simple to load for & you know what you have in lapua.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Me jealous.
Looks like a pretty good start, but I'd make darn tootin sure on that neck diameter.
Keep us posted.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Un fortunately I believe that I have a Std. neck, ammo measured .253 loaded & remained .251 after firing , went in without a hitch, maybe with 6 ppc brass or another brand, But the Lapua will fit very nicely. Ill probably order 50 more I need a shim set for the wilson die anyway. I have some 223s that are shooting 50 gr. molied Varmint extremes into the 3s , I cant wait to try some of those as a varmint load. I used to shoot the Remington 50 gr. PLHP but their as high as any of the others now. They shoot EXTREMELY well & used to be CHEAP. NO MORE

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I guess the question is whether a fitted neck is really that big of a performance gain for field shooting. For some, I suppose it is, but since I can only rarely "hold" well enough to appreciate the results....
If this guy was talking you up a benchrest gun with a 247, I'd maybe be disappointed. Perhaps you might order another lot of 6PPC cases and neck those down to 22. Then again, my BR brass is all necked down 6mm, none turned.
If you can stand the pain, Sierra Blitz Kings are shooters, too. The 50s are my pets.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
A while back I bought 1500 53 gr Sierras at a Gunshow for a hunnert dollars, I shoot those at the bench but when Im building a varmint load I shoot for 1/2 minute with whatever is cheap!!!!! ( Like ME) cool

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
218 members (257 mag, 2UP, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 23 invisible), 1,587 guests, and 885 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,917
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.