Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by IDMilton
One more thing to add.

You might want to try a pair of vapor barrier socks.

I have a better idea, get a pair of Vapor Barrier BOOTS like the GI bunny boots (white) or mickey mouse boots (black). SMC used to make crampons for them and they were the standard boot for the Muldrow Glacier route up McKinley. They kept my feet warm for two winters in and around Fairbanks/Delta Junction, down to minus 54.

GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Brad
I believe the Sheephunters/Hunter's use "Goretex Duratherm" which is I think, 200 grams Primalotft with Goretex.

Wish you luck... had a helllll of a time getting a hunting boot to fit my feet this year... that would include Schnee's Granite's, Lowa Hunter Extreme, and Kenetrek Mountain Extreme's... my feet are a bithchh.

That the bonus I've got...the Sheephunter's I've got are still in decent shape. And the Lowas fit me like a glove, so if I went with a new pair I know I wouldnt have to worry about fitting them right away.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This is one other boot I was considering if I go with something a bit 'heavier' for cold season stuff....combine this with an over-boot for sitting and I think it would be pretty bombproof....

Cabelas Winter 800 by Meindl

Not sure how these compare to my Lowa Sheephunter GTX or if I would notice any difference in warmth from them, but I'd think there should be a BIT of warmth diff. The Lowas do fit me so well that its a big consideration...

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by IDMilton
One more thing to add.

You might want to try a pair of vapor barrier socks.

I have a better idea, get a pair of Vapor Barrier BOOTS like the GI bunny boots (white) or mickey mouse boots (black). SMC used to make crampons for them and they were the standard boot for the Muldrow Glacier route up McKinley. They kept my feet warm for two winters in and around Fairbanks/Delta Junction, down to minus 54.

Yes, I'm quoting myself. I decided to offer up a "boot test". On the coldest day of your local winter, don your mendels/kennetreks etc, and step into a foot tub of 32 degree water and allow the boots to flood, then take off your socks, don the wet boots and start walking. I advise you to take a cell phone with you because you likely won't get far. With a pair of bunny/VB boots, this is just another day in the bush, your feet will be warm and sweating in twenty minutes, at twenty below.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by huntem
Rackmastr,

I am currently in the same quest for cold winter boots with the much needed ankle support.

My pair of polar quest from Lathrop arrived on Wednesday and the Meindl's 800 from Cabelas arrived yesterday. The Meindls are in limited supply (not sure of your shoe size). I normally wear a 10 but went 10 1/2 in the Meindls (great fit for my feet).

I'm going to do some more walking around the house before I make my decision. The early lead is going toward the Meindls.

My original search was for a cold weather boot that would serve me well in keeping my feet warm while on a snow machine but would provide ankle support while chasing Mt. Lions with dogs has ended.

With a tear in my anterior talo-fibular ligament, ankle support is paramount. Without a doubt, the lundhag polar quest boot is a great boot that provides the warmth of a pac boot but the ankle support of a mountaineering boot. However, the meindl 800's edge out the lundhags in ankle support.

If didn't already own a pair of schnee pac boots, I would probably have kept both pairs. The polar quests would be a great stand boot in cold weather.

I usually wear a lorpen merino wool sock without a liner sock. I did order the Meindls 1/2 size larger than my "normal" shoe size.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad caelum et ad inferos
IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

434 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 51 invisible), 2,537 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,973
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.