Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tennessee
I cannot deal with the scope mounting system. The factory OpticLock two piece base/ring system is complicated, bulky, too high and heavy.

Ah, POO NANNY!

[Linked Image]

These would be even better!

[Linked Image]

WAR EAGLE!

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used Optilocks, Conetrols, Leupolds, Talleys and even Millets. I prefer the Talleys followed by Optilocks.

Talleys:
[Linked Image]

Conetrols:
[Linked Image]

Optilocks:
[Linked Image]

Sorry the pictures aren't any better. Gotta get me a good camera.

Weiners are health food - My dad
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use the Optilock ringmounts on my Sako...I've tried the standard Optilocks plus the old Sako mounts shown earlier and much prefer these.

[Linked Image]

I would not use Warne under any circumstances...Tried two diferent sets and they would not hold the scope on my .308win Sako.

It seems the dovetails on the Sako act as a wedge and drive the rings apart under recoil. I have Warne rings on other rifles and they work fine, but would not use them on a Sako..

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I am going with the Optilock one piece ringmounts. They are too hight though. Look at that gun with the zeiss mounted. That is probably a 40mm objective.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I tried talleys and they felt too low

Opti's where a tad high until I got my McStock now they're perfect.

Spot

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am going with the Optilock one piece ringmounts. They are too hight though. Look at that gun with the zeiss mounted. That is probably a 40mm objective.

Its a 42mm objective. Once the scope has BC flip-ups on, the amount of clearance does not look so marked...Also, you need to consider the clearance between the bolt and ocular housing of the scope.

In reality, for my set up, I'm guessing the scope rings could be 1/8" lower to make make them "perfect", which really isn't enough to fret about.

If you have a stock with a lower comb, and/or wish to mount a smaller scope, I think I would go with a diferent, lower solution...

Regards,

Peter

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's 30mm ringmounts next to 30mm conetrol (lows). The conetrol is .044in higher FWIW. On a sako 75 this places a 42mm obj. about 1/8 above the barrel, or 1/16" with butler caps on. There appears more daylight that there really is on the left hand rifle. It feels a whisker high to my cheek, but really you couldn't get this scope much lower.

Went sako ringmounts on the 6.5x66 and erred on the side of robust, going with conetrol on the .30-06. Jury's out on which i like better, but there's something to be said for the simplicity and ring inserts on the ringmounts.

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Those are nice Sandcritter.

I've got the clunky two piece OL's on my 85, they're tall so I just bought a bigger scope. They hold tight though. Last time I had the scope off I whacked 'em a few times with a stick of wood and they didn't budge.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Tennessee,

I'am usually a day late and a dollar short when I find a topic where my opinion might help a fellow camper, but here is my two cents worth.

Leupold makes a two piece quick detach set of bases for Sako dove tail receivers. Midway USA carries them, and Graf, Natchez, probably do as well. If you want to view them Midway product # is 142178 and manufactures # is 53066. IMO they are the best for low scope mounting and light weight. You will of course have to buy QR rings. Midway product # is 532410 and manufactures # is 49971. Ring height will of course depend on the diameter of your objective.

The 2 piece bases have an allen screw on the side to tighten them to the dove tail receiver. The main reason I like this set up is that they are LIGHT, and allow me to put MY SCOPE AS LOW AS POSSIBLE. I have a set of these on a Rem Model 7 KS in .350 Rem Mag, and after several years of shooting I don't worry about checking the zero on this rifle.

Sako's Opti-lock system is sturdy as a rock and Talley has the same reputation. I have nothing against either, but as I get older I go as light as possible. Other campers have given you
some good options, and now you have mine. Have a good afternoon,

G2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Gramps2

Sako's Opti-lock system is sturdy as a rock and Talley has the same reputation. I have nothing against either, but as I get older I go as light as possible.
G2

The Talley's weigh 3 ounces. That's pretty light.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B3

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Reloader 28,

You are certainly correct about the Talley set up, and I would probably be using them, but even low Talley rings on Talley bases set the scope too high for me. I want my scope as low as possibly. Look at the rifles pictured in this topic, and see how much space there is between barrel and scope objective. It's just a personal thing with me, and I would never say that it's for everyone. I just wanted the young man who started this topic to have as many options as possible.

Have a good evening,

G2

L
L
As others have mentioned, the Optilocks are a very secure and stable system and are are in my opinion the most secure system for mounting a scope onto the Sako proprietary dovetail.

There are some drawbacks though: weight, price and height (if you are mounting a 40mm objective especially).

I have attached a few pics of my Bavarian with Optilocks. Keep in mind that these are "low" rings and I have room to spare with a 56mm objective!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
too high.

Too high? With the Optilock 2 piece base/ring system, if you run the correct ring height they are not too high IMHO. Most guys run regular low or medium rings with bases and complain about how high they are with a 40mm objective scope or smaller. Sako makes an Xtra low ring for the 2 piece system which is just fine. I run Optilock Xtra low rings with the 2 piece system and the scope does not sit any higher than Talley's mounting system with low rings for Sako's(which I have ran/owned as well).

It's almost comical more than anything, that people don't run the lowest ring height available and complain overall that the mounting system is "too high".

A pic of Harv3589s: Xtra low Opti rings with FX3 6x42: I hope he doesn't mind I threw this up. Looks about right to me......

[Linked Image]

However I will agree they are heavy and can see why some think they are on the bulky side....

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Oaktona,

You have a nice FinnLite (or SS), and your Opti-Lock base and rings in the photo above look great. I assume one of the reasons you bought the FinnLite was because of it's
light weight. My thought is, why put a heavy base/ring set up on a FinnLite rifle? You might as well have purchased a standard weight rifle, because that is what you now have. But to each his own. Good hunting

G2

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
God I'm glad Sako changed the mounting set-up with the A7...

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Gramps2
Oaktona,

You have a nice FinnLite (or SS), and your Opti-Lock base and rings in the photo above look great. I assume one of the reasons you bought the FinnLite was because of it's
light weight. My thought is, why put a heavy base/ring set up on a FinnLite rifle? You might as well have purchased a standard weight rifle, because that is what you now have. But to each his own. Good hunting

G2

That is actually my rifle...its just the SS version not the finnlite. I went with the optiloks because they just simply work...I really like the inserts to prevent any scope marking issues, no marking up the top of the receiver like other mounting systems do on Sakos. I have been trying to find a set of the Optilok ring mount one piece but they are pretty much impossible to get your hands on. My girlfriends finnlite however does have the same mounts on it, and you know what they work awesome too wink

Rob
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

680 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 117LBS, 10ring1, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 68 invisible), 2,588 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,164
Posts18,465,238
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.