-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Between my son and I we have a half dozen. Bought them at Cabela's when they were on sale for $259.00 each. Everyone one of them shoots good groups.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Does Larry REALLY have cool rifles or just PICTURES OF COOL RIFLES? Since Larry is full of $hit, I believe nothing he posts unless I know it to be true myself.

Jeff

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Thanks for the input. I'll try another brand of ammo, as well as clean very well. Could be the scope - but its brand new, and I trust Vortex to get it right, straight outta the box.

Will report back after this weekend on what I find. Hoping she shoots - nice little rifle and my first 308.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
i would try a box of federal or hornady match ammunition in it first they seem to be tried and true for an accuracy test in a 308 chambered rifle before i would label it a dud.

gene

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Thanks gene. I also wonder if the "Superperformance" ammo from Hornady has anything to do with it. Maybe it doesn't like the higher velocity 'stuff'?

Worth another box of ammo before pronouncing it I suppose.

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Also plan on letting Wipe Out sit over night, followed by a good cleaning with MPro7. That should clean her up real nice.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Does Larry REALLY have cool rifles or just PICTURES OF COOL RIFLES? Since Larry is full of $hit, I believe nothing he posts unless I know it to be true myself.

Jeff

Good point Jeff,

Larry did steal a pic from another member here not too long ago.
He was called out by the owner of the rifle too.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg
Thanks gene. I also wonder if the "Superperformance" ammo from Hornady has anything to do with it. Maybe it doesn't like the higher velocity 'stuff'?

Worth another box of ammo before pronouncing it I suppose.

A number of the members here have had good results using factory premium loads. I have had only one rifle that has shot factory premium fodder well. Most shot groups like you describe. (With handloads they shot 1" and under.) The most consistently accurate factory ammunition I've shot is Federal blue box. Others have different experiences. I wouldn't give up on the rifle without trying some other flavors, and not necessarily the premium loads.

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Thanks Rooster. I'll look for some Blue Box Fed's. Last time I coulndn't find any at Academy. My other options around here are Bass Pro and Dck's Sporting Goods.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
On occasion Wallyworld will have the blue box. It seems kind of off and on....

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
I'll check them too. Thanks!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would try a box a fusion ammo. For some reason my rifles hate hornady ammo. Throwing in the towel after only one round of factory ammo would be a waste. Keep on feeding that thing ammo, she will find what she likes!

Disabled American Veteran. U.S. Army 2000 - 2007 Proud to have served.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I never got good results from the old Hornady Light Magnum stuff in my 7-08, pie plate groups off the bags, and it was a MOA rifle easy. Turned me off Hornady ammo, really. Try the blue box Federal 150s...

"It is just that we should be grateful, not only to those with whose views we may agree, but also to those who have expressed more superficial views; for these also contributed something, by developing before us the powers of thought." Aristotle

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Duquensebeer
My Opinion,

I believe that the design of the gun is sound, but the manufacturing technique's they use today is real crappy.
I would also suspect that the scope is not up to par - but could not prove that without putting it on a second rifle and trying it out myself.

I guess I am getting old and set in my ways, but today's guns just don't compare with what was made 40 years ago.

I have never used one of your scopes before and I am not a big fan of tactical scopes, but if what they say about it is true, it is probably a really good scope.

The .308 rifle likes shooting 150 gr bullets and is a dog with 180 gr bullets.

I too am a firm believer in breaking in the barrel before expecting accuracy. Howa1500Man has the right idea.

I would check the stock for free float and then I would check the crown on the end of the barrel with a magnification loop and then I would check the bore with a bore scope and I might even go as far as to slug the barrel and see what diameter it cleaned up at. There is a lot of things that affects accuracy. (If there was a head space issue, I would think that there would be obvious signs at the bottom of the shell, look just past the extractor grove and see if there is any pressure signs, cracks, black marks etc.

Some people shoots rifles and then doesn't pick up their empties - so it is not always possible to ask these questions because if they don't have the empty shells on hand, there is no way for sure to know if there is any issues.

With a new production rifle like yours, a 1 1/2 inch spread is probably acceptable for factory standards. 3 -4 inches would be like a softball sized pattern on the target. Not good.

You believe all of that?

Have you ever even shot a Marlin XL7? Out of the box, mine shoots as well as my expensive custom guns. No free floating, no bedding, no trigger work, no muss, no fuss.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have only shot two boxes from mine which is a .308 XS7. It does just fine with Rem 150 Cor-lockts. I shot the Winchester Super X in the red box, and it does not like them at all. 2" at 100 yards best.

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Thanks for the input. I've been a Rem 700 guy all my life. Every 700 I've had shoots well into my expectations with all types of ammo. Hoping this X gun is just picky, and I'll find one that works.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg
Thanks for the input. I've been a Rem 700 guy all my life. Every 700 I've had shoots well into my expectations with all types of ammo. Hoping this X gun is just picky, and I'll find one that works.

I've been shooting 700s for yrs as well and have no reason to switch away from them, but the Marlin is a very good deal and handles much like a 700. They offer much for a small price. Good pad, adj. trigger, weaver type base, smooth safety, and predictable accuracy.

I bought mine used as a loaner/back up rifle. I would not hesitate to buy another or recommend them.

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
***UPDATE***

Had forgotten about this thread, but thought I would update for anyone interestd.

I got ahold of blue box Federal 150's and Federal Premium 150 Ballistic tips.

Sure enought, it was the solution. Both boxes of the Feb stuff shot fantastic. Touching holes on 2 out of 3 shots. Killed 1 doe with it.

Amazing how badly the Hornady stuff shot compared to the Federal.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Every barrel is an individual and has its own presonality and likes.

Whatever a 7x57 can do a 270 can do better.

True fair chase is you in the woods buttnaked with nothing but your finger nails and teeth.

If you'e fixin' to put a hole in something, make it a hole to remember.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
While Hornady factory ammo has never been shot thru any of my 4 "X" guns, they do like Hornady bullets. My 308 likes 150s best, and the '06 likes 165s.

Glad to hear you got something figured out. I really like my "X" guns and only wish more chamberings were offered.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

406 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 43 invisible), 2,856 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,580
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.