24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Welcome Dana and Mark! I have been looking for my new hunting pack for this year's hunts. I am seriously considering the Crew Cab with the NICE frame and the Bighorn, not sure which one yet but sure Mystery ranch will get my business when I am ready!!

BP-B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Welcome to Mystery Ranch!

Just sent them an email on their site asking about whether they fit those of us who are tough pack fits. My all expense paid vacations from 1976 to 1998 with my rich uncle, Sam, have left me with a strong aversion to external frame packs (ALICE, anyone?).

The two top things in my experience that can make you the most miserable during long range trekking the great outdoors are bad boots and a bad pack. Insects, the elements and theterrain all all a distant second (except those damn "banana" spiders that build webs tree to tree in triple canopy jungles and swamps - ran face first into a web once in the pitch dark, and almost had a heart attack when I felt the web "twanging" as an interested very large spider came to investigate- that is high on the list too).

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Welcome Dana from up the road. Congratulations on your run at the record for the number of days where the high hasn't been above freezing. Very unusual.

Steve

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Mr Gleason, please impress me. Make me a pack that'll haul a 100# meat load or 5000 ci of gear that weighs 5# or less and bring it to market for $400.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice frame + load sling

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 280rules
Mr Gleason, please impress me. Make me a pack that'll haul a 100# meat load or 5000 ci of gear that weighs 5# or less and bring it to market for $400.

If you are hauling 100 lbs. what difference does it make if what you are hauling it in weighs more than 5 lbs.?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by bluffview
Originally Posted by 280rules

If you are hauling 100 lbs. what difference does it make if what you are hauling it in weighs more than 5 lbs.?

Because you ain't haulin' 100# most of the time, or at least you shouldn't be if you are smart.

I'm retired Army SF, we used to have a saying about people who made statements like that, "They give you 100# of lightweight crap to carry". It all adds up. Everything a foot hunter carries, to include the pack it goes in, should be as light as it reasonably can be. There is currently nothing on the market that meets that criteron.

S
S
280rules~

Give me a shout at Mystery Ranch and we'll talk you through some of our packs that could work for your specific needs... 406.585.1428

Thanks.

Mark Seacat/Mystery Ranch Backpacks

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How bout a Bighorn? The Longbow combined with a load sling can work as a light daypack and combined with a load sling could handle a full quarter of an elk or an entire deer boned out. I just picked up a Longbow for one of my two daughters. It is going to be the pack she carries for summer backpacking trips, enough room for her clothes, sleeping bag and maybe a couple other things her fat Dad can dump on her. Casey

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dragon Slayer is pretty darn light too...

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Met Dana today at the Alaska Sportsman's Show. I was looking for the MR booth, but never expected the man himself to be there.

Got some great tips on getting my Crew Cab to fit right, and he was glad to know that I love my Astralplane. Obviously a great guy to talk gear with!

John

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Saw him at the show, but he was busy, and I wasn't buying anything, so I didn't introduce myself.

I will say, pretty cool to come up to the show and demo the packs, and I was also very surprised to see Dana. I think it was a good move, even if just to let people see and goof with them. Hard to spend that kind of money on a pack you've never had in your hands.

I also am kinda sweet on the longbow after playing with it for a while.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Welcome!!!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Does Dana reply to the questions by PM or is it something we said? :-)

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Apparently been on the site twice- a typical hit&run guy. Guess he isn't the chatty type like most of the "celebrity" posters we get.

I have two of his externals- used them a lot. I think they are the best external frame packs ever mass produced.

Don't care for the Mystery Ranch stuff.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Im on my 3rd Dana pack.... not that I have worn out either of the 1st two. I bought my 1st one in the early 80's at the trailhead in Missoula. It is just a small old day pack but I used it to carry everything for years. My daughter used to use it on hikes as her light kids pack. I also have a Dana/K2 longbed that I have taken many trips into the Bob and Pintlers with and it will carry more than I want to. I just got a Crew Cab.. no experience with it yet but I hope I like it as much as the first two.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I saw you were testing new lighter weight hunting packs. Any sneak peaks coming this way?

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by remington79
I saw you were testing new lighter weight hunting packs. Any sneak peaks coming this way?

Anyone know where the thread is on suggestions for MR. I remember reading a thread a while back where Mark asked for suggestions. I cant seem to find it. I thought it was here but maybe it was on Bowsite.

Dana and Mark,
Any chance we can get some full dyneema packs?

C
C
I borrowed my friends NICE FRAME and CREW CAB for my mountain goat hunt this year and am sold, now all I've got to do is stick away a little cash here and there so the Misses doesn't know I'm buying another piece of gear. My shoulders say thanks and we'll be talking Mark.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Just checking out potential X-mas presents for myself and saw, or rather didn't see the Dragonslayer on Mystery Ranch's site.

Once again it seems like I got burned by the old motto, "He who hesitates is lost."

Edit: X-posted as its own topic.

Last edited by bluffview; 12/22/10.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
692 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 72 invisible), 3,105 guests, and 1,439 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,604
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.