-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You're looking for loads for an existing platform,or are mulling a new rifle to play with?......................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
new rifle, new cartridge, starting from the bottom

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Here's how I look at schitt.

1) How much am I gonna HONESTLY shoot it and at what?
2) What will it do,that I can't already?
3) What bullet is gonna do me the most favors?
4) How far am I gonna stretch her out?

Then I sorta roll that around and choose the case capacity/COAL/mag constraints/twist rate which are gonna toss me the most cookies. It's often difficult to not go nuts and paint yourself onto a corner with a Niche Rifle...when with a little more clear thought,you coulda had a Utility Rifle. Niche'rs don't see near the use,that Utilitarian tools do.

The boolit is far more important than the chambering,but some chamberings bolster inherent virtues that others can't/won't/don't. COAL being the first of those things.

Because I largely have a few of everything,7mm's horn me up most,in the Utility Bloodspill Department. Great things are easily arranged and with modest recoil,modest propellant appetites and modest loot...none of which pizz me off.

Heavy stuff don't get shot as much as midweight or light stuff,because they are simply more nichely by design. It is a common misconception to ascribe weight as extrapolating to accuracy,which really isn't the case. Good triggers are a great mass equalizer.

So kinda touching upon all these things,a vanilla 280 is an absolute MONSTER,especially in a 700(as they are an H&H length receiver). Shooting is something I enjoy,so the 280AI appeals more to me personally,but in actuality,you aren't gonna do something with one,that you'll not the other.

The Faux Ti or Halibut Theme,are the moneymakers and define utility. Great handling,balance and portability are easily arranged,while toting incredible capability at the same time. The upside being,there ain't no downside.

I'd be leaning Classic,nudged inlet,Decelerator,midweight fill,flushcups,ADL and gelcoat. Tube would be a short shanked #2 at 22",1-9" and 3-grooved. LW's wearing a 3.5-10x M1 LR with a CH of clearance and Re-22 fueled 162A-Max it's express diet.

Though there's lotsa ways to skin that cat...and I've generally got a 1st Gen Ti 7-08 in my mitts..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's a good post.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Have yet to make a bad one.

Them is purty good "odds".................

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Whatever you say..... lol...

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Your best contribution is going to be silence,followed by the hurried pace to take notes...................

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Of course BS. We're sorry. I mean is there really anything else? BS has always been BS...ehhh?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 105 is better as the range grows, my 6BR #1 Ruger took 3 WT:

Head shot 45 yds
Spine approx. 200 yds
Double Lung - exited, 400, at edge of a field that had been LRF

First two bullets blew, hence why I shot where I did.

Bullet never exited a yote around 60 yds broadside, but DRT, as several other animals, never lost one hit.

No doubt many 243s are 10 twisted, not enough, some around 9 like 6mms, and MAY work, have to try, if not I'd use a custom 8. The 162 should work as far as most can hit vitals. It would be my bullet of choice in 7mm on deer, bou, and similar. Elk, I'd avoid bone.

DW, everytime I thought of a 6.5/06, it just seemed a tougher way to duplicate 270 speeds, and perhaps needing a longer bbl so I concur. No doubt fine bullet choices in the 6.5, but I'd likely run a 264 if I needed more than a 270, if not just a 270 WSM. For how I hunt, I just cannot justify the extra powder/blast and recoil, let alone bbl wear, esp. when considering a custom tube.

Stick, what's your 7/08 getting? 22"?

Moose, maybe I missed it, but is your CDS a 3-10?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, got 3 of the 3.5-10 CDS and will add another. For me and what I built it for, the 6.5-06 has been great though the 270 Winchester would do the same. I have some 160 Woodleighs loaded up and am anxious to see how they run. If well, I'll run this rig on elk as well.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by xphunter
2.3" of wind differences.......

Not a lot...that much can be lost in the group size alone...mmmmm

Doubt it all would matter much to a deer.....hit well, he'd be dead in either case.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by sscoyote
Of course BS. We're sorry. I mean is there really anything else? BS has always been BS...ehhh?

'yote,

Cyber hanky to you and if you take exception please elaborate and I'll take the time requisite tune you up.

Let's make it a Coupla Dog Dare...................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 65BR
The 105 is better as the range grows, my 6BR #1 Ruger took 3 WT:

Head shot 45 yds
Spine approx. 200 yds
Double Lung - exited, 400, at edge of a field that had been LRF

First two bullets blew, hence why I shot where I did.

Bullet never exited a yote around 60 yds broadside, but DRT, as several other animals, never lost one hit.

No doubt many 243s are 10 twisted, not enough, some around 9 like 6mms, and MAY work, have to try, if not I'd use a custom 8. The 162 should work as far as most can hit vitals. It would be my bullet of choice in 7mm on deer, bou, and similar. Elk, I'd avoid bone.

DW, everytime I thought of a 6.5/06, it just seemed a tougher way to duplicate 270 speeds, and perhaps needing a longer bbl so I concur. No doubt fine bullet choices in the 6.5, but I'd likely run a 264 if I needed more than a 270, if not just a 270 WSM. For how I hunt, I just cannot justify the extra powder/blast and recoil, let alone bbl wear, esp. when considering a custom tube.

Stick, what's your 7/08 getting? 22"?

Moose, maybe I missed it, but is your CDS a 3-10?

We all gun the 105's in 243/243AI's. Have yet to see a distance(near or far),where it weren't amazing. My 1-10" 6AI stabilizes them fine,but 9" is where it's at.

The 162 is better today,than ever. I like to catch bone with them,whether at 7-08 launch speeds(2700fps) or 7WSM(3150fps).

Never was a .264" guy,but their projectiles are getting much more better,as BC's go. They useta just be long,of huge bearing surface and hard to drive,while wearing modest BC's. That's changing,which is good for them of the 6.5 Affliction.

The 105 and 162 rate building rifles around.............

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
They useta just be long,of huge bearing surface and hard to drive,while wearing modest BC's.

Are you talking X bullets? Then yes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Late-I've worked quite a bit with both, the biggest diff will be the driver. Not enough diff tween the two to tilt it one way or another for me.

If you wish to work with a cat go 6.5 if you're in a more simple mode go 270.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SU35
They useta just be long,of huge bearing surface and hard to drive,while wearing modest BC's.

Are you talking X bullets? Then yes.

6.5's in general and the X fell into a similar trap................

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Here's how I look at schitt.

1) How much am I gonna HONESTLY shoot it and at what?
2) What will it do,that I can't already?
3) What bullet is gonna do me the most favors?
4) How far am I gonna stretch her out?

Then I sorta roll that around and choose the case capacity/COAL/mag constraints/twist rate which are gonna toss me the most cookies. It's often difficult to not go nuts and paint yourself onto a corner with a Niche Rifle...when with a little more clear thought,you coulda had a Utility Rifle. Niche'rs don't see near the use,that Utilitarian tools do.

The boolit is far more important than the chambering,but some chamberings bolster inherent virtues that others can't/won't/don't. COAL being the first of those things.

Because I largely have a few of everything,7mm's horn me up most,in the Utility Bloodspill Department. Great things are easily arranged and with modest recoil,modest propellant appetites and modest loot...none of which pizz me off.

Heavy stuff don't get shot as much as midweight or light stuff,because they are simply more nichely by design. It is a common misconception to ascribe weight as extrapolating to accuracy,which really isn't the case. Good triggers are a great mass equalizer.

So kinda touching upon all these things,a vanilla 280 is an absolute MONSTER,especially in a 700(as they are an H&H length receiver). Shooting is something I enjoy,so the 280AI appeals more to me personally,but in actuality,you aren't gonna do something with one,that you'll not the other.

The Faux Ti or Halibut Theme,are the moneymakers and define utility. Great handling,balance and portability are easily arranged,while toting incredible capability at the same time. The upside being,there ain't no downside.

I'd be leaning Classic,nudged inlet,Decelerator,midweight fill,flushcups,ADL and gelcoat. Tube would be a short shanked #2 at 22",1-9" and 3-grooved. LW's wearing a 3.5-10x M1 LR with a CH of clearance and Re-22 fueled 162A-Max it's express diet.

Though there's lotsa ways to skin that cat...and I've generally got a 1st Gen Ti 7-08 in my mitts..............

If this post was a sticky, there would be a lot less questions in the custom/wildcat threads.... Great Post.

Despite my user name, no I am not from Texas.........

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Well, I know you don't like Berger, so I guess that leaves
Scenars, Amaxs and Swift S2's then. That's not to bad.

I'm driving 130 Swifts .571 at 3,150 out of a 284 case.
Shooting out to 950y, they are flying flatter than what their BC says.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
All of them recent...which remains the point....................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oh Jeezus...you best keep a case of Midol and a slingshot handy,in order to force feed all the whining and cramping,that's gonna arise around you.

If you ain't a good shot with one already,you WILL be after that....................(grin)

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 39 invisible), 2,709 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,509
Posts18,452,629
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.