Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
A Kimber montana has been tempting me for a light rifle, but it appears Colt light rifles are available for $750 and less.

If the Colt is anywhere close to a NULA in quality and weight/balance it seems like it would be a viable alternative?

Do they balance like a NULA?

Its a big game rifle so I dont need it to shoot like a NULA,but if weight and balance are the same, I'm tempted.

Dumb idea?
If so why?

I know the triggers are different, but is the Colt trigger serviceable?

Do the stock dimensions handle recoil as well as a NULA?

The biggest wild card may be the barrel. Any experiences?

�Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a closer look at the American Indian.� - Henry Ford
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You should be able to get one for closer to $500 than $750. I have 2 both are very accurate - sub-MOA or better 3 shot groups. The trigger is mediocre but supposedly can be exchanged for remington pattern triggers - I'm going to try this myself.

The stocks are injection molded decent but nothing to write home about. Supposedly Mel Forbes will restock them with one of his lw stocks for 4-500 IIRC.

I think they are very good rifles for $500 and restocked and retriggered should be very nice rifles indeed for 1/2 the price of a new NULA................................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
what do yours weigh?

�Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a closer look at the American Indian.� - Henry Ford
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What DJ said, had 2 in 7RM, bought sold but had a chance to inspect build quality, the action IMHO is much better than a REM 700, even though similar. IIRC the extractor seemed beefier. Trigger did have alot of creep, never tried adjusting, but likely if it were me, I'd replace it pronto. Stock change would be optional, and likely a good idea.

The bbl likely is not what a ULA/NULA would be in quality, yet all reports, they are often/usually sub MOA, SO.....yes, a good value/option.

If they were mfg. in SHORT Actions, I'd likely own a couple...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have 2, a 270 & a 300WM. Tight chambers, very good barrels, and accurate with a wide variety of loads. Stock is tupperware, but serviceable.
Triggers takes some getting used to, but not as bad as many other rifles. As mentioned before, CLR's routinely turn in MOA groups. How bad can they be? Only change I have made to mine are new recoil pads and painted the stocks.
Mel Forbes was involved with the design & specifications of these rifles, but he lost the battle with Colt bean counters over the stocks.
Contrary to what was mentioned above, the barrels are better than very good.
That said, NULA's are superb rifles..... tho' most have ugly paint jobs on the stock!

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got a 30/06 Colt Light Rifla and am very well pleased with the accuracy. The trigger isn't great and the stock is just another butt ugly black plastic stock (if it ain't good grade wood, it's ugly). Got a 2x7 Leupold and it makes a good rainy day combo.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have one in 7 mag that shoots well...mine has a good trigger...and I could like it a lot except that it weighs nearly a pound more than advertised. It ain't a NULA but Forbes will upgrade components to make it more NULAish if you like. I got mine for less than 500 bucks, and use it as a beater/loaner mostly.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I haven't seen any lately, but I bought the last two I found in a local shop for $500 each (list was $750 IIRC), and used them as drawing prizes in an SCI dinner. I put them between NULA on the top and factory on the bottom of the range for quality.

The fixes that Melvin will do are well worth the cost to me

If you want to slide into a NULA, watch the auction sites for a used rifle. They sell at prices above the common herd, and that usually slows down bidding. Of course you take pot luck, but NULAs are great rifles in my experience.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I remember several years ago CDNN had these for like $350 or so on close out. Should have bought a couple

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
The reason why I get the CDNN catalog...jim

IC B3

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I was not too lucky in the accuracy department. My Colt can only deliver 4" groups at 100 yards, even after a llot of load development.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
djs,

Is it one of the magnum cartridges?...jim

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I bought a CLR in 30-06 and just got sent to Melvin for upgrades in trigger, saftey and stock. When done I will have less than $1200 in the gun. I'll post a report when it's done but don't hold your breath. I ordered a NULA 22 last Jan and Melvin called on Friday that he was sighting it in today and I would hope to have it next week. For me good work and a good gun are worth the wait.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by djs
I was not too lucky in the accuracy department. My Colt can only deliver 4" groups at 100 yards, even after a llot of load development.

I had a 270 that was also a "solid" 4moa rifle. Had I known Forbes would rebarrel and stock them, I'd have my LW 280 Ackley now.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by HunterJim
djs,

Is it one of the magnum cartridges?...jim

30-06 - I'm a sucker for a 30-06.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by djs

I had a 270 that was also a "solid" 4moa rifle. Had I known Forbes would rebarrel and stock them, I'd have my LW 280 Ackley now.

I just learned from the above that Melvin Forbes will work on them - Thank God! Now I need to start saving my nickles and dimes!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
i looked at one once, I wouldn't buy the thing. Too heavy and its a "so what". If you want a NULA buy one, if you want a heavier rifle there are better out there.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I remember getting the CDNN catalogue and these were the 350.00 range and I thought but didnt act.

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Have a CLR in .270 Win. Absolutely no complaints...first shot accuracy is great and easily puts 3 into an inch or less, day in and day out....stuck a 4200 Rainguard on it and it's my foul weather PA deer rifle....best $400 rifle out there, IMO..

Life's too short to smoke cheap cigars....
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by jimmyp
i looked at one once, I wouldn't buy the thing. Too heavy and its a "so what". If you want a NULA buy one, if you want a heavier rifle there are better out there.

This is what I'm wondering.
What are real world weights

And I agree, if it dont weigh and balance like a NULA I'd just as soon keep my Mod 70.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 007FJ, 60 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,544
Posts18,453,376
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.