Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Looking for suggestions on a hunting stock for a Remington 700 Sendero. The current stock is the varmit style with palm swell and large fore end. Looking for a more typical sporter type hunting stock. Has anyone made this chenge? What would you suggest with the large barrel? Thanks!

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Think you're going to have a hard time finding a "sporter" or "hunting" stock for a heavy barreled Sendero. (I own one, too, .300 WM)

The general assumption being, heavy barreled (varminter) rifles in the first place are neither designed nor usually purchased with conventional hunting in mind.

The Sendero was, and probably still is, advertised as a "bean field" rifle, meaning pretty much sitting in a stand and looking to pop a buck at inordinate range across agricultural land or the like.

I'd be surprised if aftermarket stock makers would invest in marketing a slim and lightweight stock for such rifles.

The one alternative might be to find a laminate stock for a standard Rem. 700, and then have a good smith carve out the channel for the heavy barrel...assuming there's enough material around the barrel groove to accommodate this.

Or buy a laminate for a heavy barrel, and rework the exterior of the stock to suit your needs/wants.

FWIW.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I'd shop for the older style H-S Sendero stocks. They had a standard wrist and were more appropriate for hunting IMO. The new design with the palm swell is great off a bench though.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Whats your budget?

The christensen arms barrels are close to the same profile and the stocks run about 500-600

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Horseman
I'd shop for the older style H-S Sendero stocks. They had a standard wrist and were more appropriate for hunting IMO. The new design with the palm swell is great off a bench though.

Bought my Sendero first year they came out...I have no idea what I was thinking about at the time??? smile

It's one heavy sonuvabitch to pack! That said, my hunting partner, who is in great physical condition at 49 years, still packs the freakin' hog when he comes up here to hunt with me...but I foresee an end to this self-abusive behavior fairly soon.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by nitis
The christensen arms barrels are close to the same profile and the stocks run about 500-600

http://www.christensenarms.com/store/584.html

Looks like they will custom fit one for an extra $150, assuming they don't make a standard fit for a Sendero style barrel.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Mcmillan HTG is a great stock except for the wait. I have them on a Remington 5r in 223 which would be similar to the sendero and my GAP 243.

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
the HTG sucks because of the very low comb. If you want to go that route, go with the A1-3 which has a higher comb and has "finger grooves" in the forearm ...

though with a #5 contour, trying to turn it into a 'hunting rifle' so to speak, is swimming upstream.

Assuming it's a known shooter, get it re-contoured to a #2 or #3, chop it to 22", and drop it in either a McM Classic or McM Mountain Rifle pattern ...

-WGM-
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Are you looking for a stock for off-hand shooting?

I have a Sendero in 25-06 with a 26 inch heavy barrel. It's great for shooting off of bags or from an elevated deer stand. I've never taken an off-hand shot with it.

I think a McMillan Remintgon Hunter stock would fit it well but I would be concerned about how it would balance.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JAB
Looking for suggestions on a hunting stock for a Remington 700 Sendero. The current stock is the varmit style with palm swell and large fore end. Looking for a more typical sporter type hunting stock. Has anyone made this chenge? What would you suggest with the large barrel? Thanks!

HTG/M40A1's do suck,even with the obligatory stock pack(s) affixed.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The Hunter however,do not................

[Linked Image]

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Had a Sendero in 7mag that I popped into a Manners MCS-T and liked it much.

Cant find the pic of the 7 but here is a 300wsm with sendero duped barrrel in a MCS-T.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've never handled that stock pattern but it "looks like it would fit", if you know what I mean.

I know McMillans Sako-based designs are winners, so there are some good choices out there.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tommy has some nice patterns.

Tough to do worse than a Sendero................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tom's stocks are very nice - most of them at least - in both patterns and construction. It's too bad that he's not doing gelcoat finishes, and only paint.

-WGM-
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Like I said before,Faux McMillan's ain't for me...though he do it better than most...................

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
no arguments there ... just pointing out that his stuff is very good, and nothing to shy away from unless you refuse to go with a paint finish.

-WGM-

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

271 members (22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 24 invisible), 2,494 guests, and 945 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,733
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.