Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
You guys in Texas use heaters in those stands? What does it get down to at night...like 28?

grin

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Junior1942
I tent camped in a 6-man tent one-only night with a propane burner going on low. Next morning, everything inside my tent was soaking wet.

The byproduct of burning propane is water. I have a catalytic heater in my camp trailer. If we have to run it 24 hrs a day when elk hunting, in about 2 days we'll have water running down the walls.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've got a newer model (CO2 sensor) Big Buddy that is plumbed into the propane line in my camper at my hunting lease. I've never run it on anything other than low at night and it keeps my camper (old 70's model 30') plenty warm. I keep a small window cracked and I have a CO2 sensor/alarm mounted at bed-level not too far from my head.

I'm happy with mine.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Nov 3, 12:35 PM EDT

3 Montana hunters recovering from CO poisoning

BUTTE, Mont. (AP) -- Three Montana hunters who suffered carbon monoxide poisoning while sleeping in a wall tent with a propane heater are recovering at a Salt Lake City hospital thanks to some young family members.

Sheri Cook of Missoula said five teenage boys who were hunting with their fathers and grandfather in the Lima area pulled the men out of the tent Monday morning and called for help.

"They saved their lives - they're heroes," Cook told The Montana Standard in an interview from LDS Hospital in Salt Lake City on Tuesday. "They really knew what they were doing."

Randy Cook, 44, of Missoula; Bret Butler, 50, of Frenchtown; and Carl Saunders, 65, of Frenchtown were upgraded from critical to serious condition Tuesday, LDS Hospital spokesman Jess Gomez said.

The hunting party arrived at the camp site at the East Fork of Little Sheep Creek trailhead in southwestern Montana on Sunday evening, put up their tents and went to sleep, Beaverhead County Sheriff Jay Hansen said.

The men were in a wall tent with a propane heater, and the boys, ranging in age from 13 to 16, were in another tent with a wood stove for heat. When the boys woke up, they found the men unconscious, Hansen said.

Sheri Cook said one of the boys drove to where he could get a cell phone signal and call for help while the other four stayed and pulled the men out of the tents. Two of the men were vomiting and the boys wiped out their mouths to clear their airways, she said.

Sheri Cook said her twin 14-year-old sons said they were scared at first but then fell back on skills they learned in Boy Scouts.

"Each had their little instances of panic, but they all knew what needed to be done," she said.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This one won't kill ya...

[Linked Image]

Zodi.com/tent heaters

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by JeffA

[Linked Image]

Zodi.com/tent heaters

I went to this site and the heaters are no longer available at this time. I wonder why??

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The small unit is how I heat my trailer with a bdrm window cracked. 20lb tank with a hose.

Many years ago, while at a lease, got in late and placed the gen next to my trailer and left it running all night just so the central heat in my trailer could run all night. Seems a storm was moving into the area, the wind blew the exhaust of the generator into the intake of the heater system. 8:30 Sunday morning one of the other hunters came and beat on my door for a while to get me and my son up. I did get up after a while not feeling good at all. Me and my son just sat in the door for 3 hours to recover from the CO poisoning we didn't know we had. I'm very careful today with any heating unit in an enclosed space. Just like in my blind, windows are open at all times during the hunt. May use the 30 degree bag this year to keep the chill off.

Last edited by Wtxj; 11/04/10.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RS308MX

[Linked Image]

Zodi.com/tent heaters

I went to this site and the heaters are no longer available at this time. I wonder why??

Me too. I've looked at those in the past and it seems like the perfect heater for a tent.

? ? ?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RS308MX

I see that, I have the combo heater/shower and it works well, never had a problem but if the flame was to blow out???? could cause some problems then..

Zodi has switched over to this one now....

[Linked Image]

New and improved version

Looks to be a bit overkill for the original posters needs...
But..propane heat, as convenient as it is can be more problems than savings...

I didn't read the spec's on this new model but it'd be my guess they have put a thermo switch in to shut the propane off if the flame was to blow out.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tzone
You guys in Texas use heaters in those stands? What does it get down to at night...like 28?

grin

Yes, because it is cheaper than buying insulated clothing for the boy who out grows them every season.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Insulated? It's texas! grin

I hear ya. Dang kid grows a new size every few months.

My dad bought me a blaze orange flannel shirt that was 4 sizes too big, that I could put over my gear when I was a kid. I could put that thing over any jacket I had for about 5 years.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

[Linked Image]

Zodi.com/tent heaters

Their $80 bulk tank adaptor is outrageously expensive for what it is. I'm sure anyone with any savvy could make their own for a fraction of the cost.

But, they show their tent heaters as no longer available so it's a moot issue anyway.

[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
P
POPBEAR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Have a question since I have not used one before. When you screw in a 1 lb. cylinder and use the heater for 2 or 3 hours and don't plan on using again until next day or later in the week, can you leave the gas cylinder screwed in with unit turned off. If you remove a partially used cylinder can you put back in heater or is it better to leave it attached to heater until cylinder is used up. Thanks

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I leave mine on, but don't think it matters.

P
POPBEAR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
One more time. Thanks, again for input.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

138 members (257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, aaronward9, 21 invisible), 1,763 guests, and 958 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.