-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Anybody ever heard of them? How's the hunting around Terrace bay? Let me know if you have.

Steve

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mitchell Mountain,

You do not say what kind of hunting you are interested in. I assume moose.

I haven't hunted that particular area but years ago did hunt further east between White River and Wawa.

One method we locals use in assessing the moose hunting is by looking in the hunting regulations for that WMU (21A) and seeing how many tags are available. In that area there are 803 bull tags available in 2010. In the Pool 1, choice 1 list there were 2330 applicants the prior year. Conclusion, the area seems to be heavily hunted.

The WMU is quite large and one of my maps shows the area to be quite cut up with logging roads. I don't have information as to how long ago the area was logged so can't guess how grown up it might be. Call the Nipigon area Ministry of Natural Resources office for info. A general information phone number is 1-800-667-1940. They can probably get you in touch with this office.

I looked up the Northern Woods Lodge web site and they claim to have been in operation for 20 years so they must be doing something right. Can't tell whether their strength is in fishing or hunting or both.

Their web site shows they operate whitetail hunting operations in the Dryden area. This is a long way west of Terrace Bay. This camp seems to be producing some good deer.

Since no one else is chiming in I would suggest talking to the owners on the phone and among other things asking for references on the success of their moose hunts and then talk to these references. Find out where their hunting areas are in relation to Long Lake. At the north end of the lake is the village of Long Lac (Long Lake) where there is an Indian reserve. Don't know whether the Indians roam to the south end of the lake to hunt or not. Personally I avoid hunting anywhere near reserves since the occupants seem to not have to abide by our hunting dates and sometimes go in and skim off the easy ones before the season ever opens.

The Northern Woods Lodge web site does not give any prices so am unable to give an opinion on whether they are pricy or reasonable. Also, I do not know where you are located which makes it difficult to know whether this area is most suitable for you to consider. More information from you would help.

Jim

Last edited by 1OntarioJim; 11/06/10. Reason: spelling
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Terry and Lorna Wood are nice people. I have known them and their kids for years. Have never made use of their services, but I have spoken to their boys and they are always successful hunters . . . can only suppose that they learned the trade from Mom and Dad. Terrace Bay is rugged area -- lots of up and down -- serious up and down. Call the owners like Jim said. I'm sure you'll get the straight goods from them.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a friend who party hunts with his family there, and they usually get two tags for the six in their party. They hunt without outfitters, but have lived in and hunted the area for decades. the_shootest is right that most of the area is rocky and vertical, but there are lots of bush and swamps as well. Long Lac is pretty far north from Terrace Bay, so Lac St. Helene should have little impact.

Randy formerly posting as medicman
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Actually it is whitetail, and I was confused as to where we were hunting it would be around Dryden Ont.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I am somewhat familiar with that locale. wink Born there, schooled there, married there, lived here for 50 out of 60 years. Deer hunting can be pretty good, but one illegal deer a few years ago has really increased the out of town pressure, and the size of the bucks has been waning of late, though there are some pretty good specimens left. Saw a 180 class buck a few days ago. HUGE body.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

712 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 70 invisible), 3,363 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,354
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.