Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I would like to itch a scratch and try a SxS. I am flexible as to price and will pay more for a high quality gun that will hold its value. This will be used for quail, chuckar, and pheasant. 12ga makes more sense to me, but a 16 might be fun just for the hell it. Thanks for your input.

"Waidmannsheil"
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Handle a lot of guns.

Just go around to shops and shows and find one that seems to fit you. Then buy it and shoot it some. Its a learning thing.

I always liked SXS's and have them. Long ago I had an old Remington side hammer double 12 and I could hit with it. While its gone I now have a couple of 20's and a 16.

There was a Bernadelli 12 ga at the East Hartford Cableas today. The clerk was too busy to show it to me. Sure enough now the topic has come up.

There is a nice old Sauer 12 at the Autumn Gunworks in Goshen, CT.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Take a look at the beretta silver hawk. beautiful gun!

[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Well that is a loaded question. What do you call flexiable to price? My first choice would be a Holland & Holland 20 bore Royal sidelock. With this you will not need to worry about fit as you can have it fitted to you. The Beretta Silverhawk is nice if that fits your flexiablity. If not then I would highly recommend a CSMC RBL-12, RBL-16, or RBL-20. Personally I wouldn't worry so much about fit as I would about really loving the gun. You can always make it fit later. Chances are none are going to fit you perfect anyways.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Montana Creek hunter... if you got the change... I think that an RBL is a great place to look... I think it will hold its value much better than a Beretta, especially now that they have halted production. The ones I have seen sell lately mostly are going for a little under what they would have cost new but we are talking 2-4% at most. Kept in good condition, I think they will hold their value around this area for a long time. They get great reviews over and over and over again, screw in chokes, can shoot steel, manufacturer is still around and will be happy to help service them, etc

A 12 gauge Win 21 could be had in the same price range and will do everything you could ever want with the exception that you probably should not shoot steel through it. The 21 will likely only go up in value and CSMC can service these as well as they actually finished production on the last of the Win 21s to ever hit the market.

Same could be said for some of the older guns and you can get them for substantially lower prices: Fox Sterlingworth or A grades, Parker Trojan, VH, GH; LC Smith Field, Ideal, etc etc etc. You'll need to put a little more homework into these older guns but if a gun checks out, has not been tampered with heavily, its only going up in value also.

All that said, gun collecting has been proven time and time again to be poor investing so buy what you like and fits you well.

Andrew
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have two RBL's and yes they are as good as anything out there in the price range. I also have a Beretta Silverhawk and a Model 21. I think you will be hardpressed to find a Model 21 in the same ballpark as a RBL. Not saying you can't but it is going to show a hard life for sure. Most 21's I see in good shape are around the $4-5000 price range. All the American classics can be had in low grades in very good condition for $1,5-3000 range. Another good option is an Ithaca Classic NID from when Lamboy was making them. They are up there in Price not sure where, but when I bought mine a few years ago it was $5,000 for a 4E 20ga.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have had a few SxS's over the years and for the money I think an SKB 385 is hard to beat. They may not be the best looking girl at the dance but they are built to last.
I even had a 2 barrel set (20 and 28 ga).

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
James Julia sold at least 4 model 21s for under $4K this past auction(inclusive of commission)... Lil Johns the same story, and the list goes on and on... I have seen many 21s in 12 gauge go under $4K in the last 6 months... and I watch the gun auctions like a hawk...

Lots of nice guns are actually down also... seen several "Great deals" on Fox CEs in 16 and 12 gauge lately as well. If guns are not 98%+ they are just not bringing the money right now...tis the time to be buying...

Last edited by lovemy99; 11/09/10.

Andrew
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

They just don't seem to be complete without hammers and sidelocks...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
shrapnel, you should know it not safe to shoot those old Damascus guns... they'll just blow up like dynamite if you try...

that last one has some wicked wood.. I remember you posting that pic a while back...

Andrew
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What about the Weatherby Athena D'Italia? I'm thinkin' 12 gauge with straight stock, splinter forearm, and 28 inch barrels. Anyone have experience or knowledge about them?

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I wouldn't waste my money on it, but that is just me. Honestly for the money right now the RBL can't be beat and it is made in America.

Most guys I know don't have the time to go to auctions so they have to buy from a dealer or the likes. Which means higher prices. I would say that a 80-90% Model 21 is going start from a dealer right around $4,000.00. Maybe a few here and there around $3,500.00 if you search really hard. Honestly I don't follow the auctions as I really don't have the time between shooting sporting clays, hunting, and flyfishing. Here is today's fresh catch.[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
I wouldn't waste my money on it, but that is just me.

Honestly for the money right now the RBL can't be beat and it is made in America.

How come man? I've seen them for about $2100, new. I'd appreciate more info. on it.

How much is a new RBL?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The RBL-12 when they were taking orders started at about $2500.00 I believe. Most of the guns on CSMC's website are the reserve edition and they are in the $3500.00 and up range I believe. I would think you could find a no-option RBL-12 out there for $2500-3000.

Why I wouldn't spend the money is because I personally don't think they are that nice a gun. I have not used one to be able to tell you how they stand up. If you like it and it is in your budget then go for it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've never used one, I've just given them a good look at Sportsmens Warehouse before the one in OKC shut down. They're made by Fausti in Italy. Higher embellished ones cost more money, but the basic like I mentioned was in the low two's. I was interested in the Gold Label until that didn't work out for Ruger.
Nice buck, BTW.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
That is my first deer with a long bow. Thanks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
That is my first deer with a long bow. Thanks.

Well that makes it even more special...congratulations.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I believe a used, top quality SxS, by one of the four or five best Spanish makers, would be a "Best Buy" and a great way to go if you like the English styled SxS guns. Now is a good time to buy one for several reasons. Grulla, Garbi, Arrieta, Ugartechea and Arizabalaga all make some absolutely beautiful shotguns. At least look at some of those models. I think you would be pleased with a nice, Spanish sidelock, by a quality maker.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I also vote for the model 21. While they are a little pricey, I dont see them going down in value...unless of course you snap it in half.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dont pass up on Ithacas SxS model 100/200/280 lines. All made by SKB in the 70s. I have a 12 & 20 M100 SxS and would not trade them for any other shotgun.

Did I make you cry......boooo hooo, life goes on.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (1minute, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 67 invisible), 2,479 guests, and 1,124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,315
Posts18,468,381
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.