Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
What a good invent! The 7mmRem mag and the 140XLC.........
<br>
<br>[Linked Image]

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
BP-B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Yeah Stick that is a pretty picture...[color:green] but take a good hard look at that old beauty the 6.5 swede there is classic sculpture. That belted queen of the ball is a wonderfull blue blood but she just dosen't have the lines of the ole grand dam Swede [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl [color:red]

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used that combo on an antelope one year. That rather warm load w/o the blue was devastating on that buck. Unfortunately you really need a 26" barrel to get the most that round has to offer. I rebarreled to bigger and better, IMO and no longer have a 7mm. Good luck, Troy.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Well, it looks pretty sexy to me!!!
<br>
<br>I am going to go there!
<br>
<br>What is the performance differance between a 24 and a 26 inch tube? Wondering if I need to go to the 26 on this rifle I am working on?
<br>
<br>Bill

Last edited by Westman; 01/09/02.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stick,
<br> I've got a question for you. If the .280 AI is regarded as the Feline's Posterior, why is the 7mm Rem. Mag generally eschewed as abit overbore? I've read a number of posts that said it's a barrel burner and yet it does'nt use that much more powder than the AI, or am I missing something? I've read it's far harder on barrels than the .300 Win Mag. Always seemed a shootable and accurate cartridge to me. Curious of your opinion. What's your powder of choice? Best, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Matt,
<br>
<br>There is little doubt the 280AI is a dandy. Simply put,the 7Rem,is "dandier".
<br>
<br>It comes right down to what you want and need. The 280AI comes close,using less powder. That generates less recoil and will help barrel life. Those are all good things.
<br>
<br>That being said,I couldn't fathom a way,to cuss the 7Mag. I always felt it to be the upper performance limit,for Joe Average,regarding recoil. To really outdo it,you are gonna get beat up. I'm sure I could happily Hunt the World with the 280AI,but I've much more firsthand experience,with the 7mag. With that experience,comes a huge measure of faith.
<br>
<br>I use the cartridge different than most,because I'm not a heavy bullet man. The 120/140X is all I'd ever launch from that case. If that isn't gonna do it,neither will a heavier bullet,going slower. I'd go up in diameter,before hamstringing it,with lumbering velocities and mundane bullet construction.
<br>
<br>A friend is expecting his 22" barreled 280AI back any day(it is being shipped in the same box,as my much awaited new 7-08). when it shows,I can toss some hard data fresh off the chronograph,to you. He built it short and light,obviously a longer tube would grant more speed. A 22" barreled 280Ackley,makes 10x as much sense,as a 26" barreled 7Ultra(grin). For what he wants,the 280Ackley,is the best of what's available(my opinion).
<br>
<br>I have a sweet spot for the 7Mag,it is a hell of a good cartridge. Most guys wood it up with projectiles that keep it, from reaping it's potential. The 120's at 3500fps,out of a 24" tube,is a superb load. V-Max of the same weight,grant it versaility,few are aware of.
<br>
<br>I've had lots of them and never once been less that amazed,with it's performance. To date,I haven't shot a barrel out of one and was never alarmed at the prospect. While it could most certainly be done,I don't believe it to be a legitimate concern,especially in a Hunting Rifle.
<br>
<br>I just got my best one back from a buddy. I couldn't even formulate a guesstimate,as to how many rounds it has digested. She was the mainstay of my stable for a while and I shoot it constantly. I know for sure,it ate one carton of 140gr Core-Lokts(1000)all by itself,because I shot that bullet for practice. That isn't counting the loads I REALLY liked(120 Ballistic tip,until the advent of the V-max).
<br>
<br>So I couldn't give a definative answer,in regards to barrel life. Other than to say,if you shot one out,you'd of had a good time doing it.
<br>
<br>I like mine a little shorter than most,the 24" tube makes me happy. Though a 26" would be faster,nobody is going to tell me,that 2" of barrel length is going to leave it non-lethal.
<br>
<br>If I would have never fallen in love(by shooting one) a 257Wby,I would lean on the 7Rem Mag,for most everything. I think very highly of it. Couple it with great bullet and it becomes even better yet. Yep,no doubt. If you took all my 25's away,I'd be sporting the 7Mag.
<br>
<br>Re-22,is THE powder,for me and what I do with it...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Darn it, Stick. You keep on posting these sexy pictures, and I'll convert back over to a magnum freak.
<br> Did I tell ya I've got a Rifle Basix trigger coming for my .25-284 ? I already have a set of Gentry SS mounts, and rings for it. Have you ever tried them ?
<br> That sure makes for a seductive looking package.
<br> Ah, me. E

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
E,
<br>
<br>The 7,is a "baby" magnum,she's more friendly than most(257Wby,friendliest of all).
<br>
<br>I'm gonna build a 280AI,as another "all arounder",in fact I think I'll give it to my Dad. No doubt,it is a very good cartridge and one of the best in a light rifle,for general purpose.
<br>
<br>Did you find the Basix trigger,too narrow in the face,for your liking? I got the Tyler shoe for mine and it improved the feel by at least 300 percent. The Pimp even liked it and he hates everything!
<br>
<br>Yes,there is a lot of Gentry floating around this country. On XP's,Model Sevens and a couple UltraLight 700shorts. A very sanitary design,seems to be very robust and of minimum weight. I'm a chicken. I run the XP,100 1pc Dual Dovetail bases/rings on my XP and Model Seven. I run 2pc Dual Dovetails on everything else. I even welded the Dual Dovetails,to my 600 Pink Rifle in 25-284(grin). I'm convinced they are without peer,regarding rugged durability vs weight.
<br>
<br>I can't say enough good about the Basix trigger,on the 600. It breathed new life into her.
<br>
<br>Here is why I sorta parked the 7mag and got rid of my STW's. 25-06Ackley on the left,7Mag center and 257Wby far right. I just ran a nickel 7Mag case through the 257Wby die,to come up with a chromer case,for the comparison. "Real" 257Wby brass,is a smidge longer,but both work fine,for most applications. Without a shadow of a doubt,the 257Wby is the most stellar performer I've ever seen on Game.
<br>
<br>Lots of good choices out there..................
<br>
<br>[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stick,
<br>
<br>For some reason the 7mm's have never tickled my fancy, same goes for .24's, and 25's. Make it a 6.5mm and then I get excited. I contacted Virgin Valley about the rimmed 6.5 WSM project, and they said the'd already made a few 6.5X300 WSM's. They also recomended going with the Rem short mag as it'll better adapt to use with the 348 case. I just gotta wait til the factory offering comes about, then I'll have cheap dies, factory brass, and can form a few of the rimmed cases.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Dang , I've been using a 7mm mag for thirty years , and here most of that time I had it hamstrung with lumbering speed and mundane bullet construction ,HehHehHeh------- 160 gr Speer hot core over a case full of H870 .
<br>
<br>The load has performed superbly from 40 yards to 400+

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Shoot the 120X with Re-22 at over 3500fps and tell me I'm wrong. I've been the other route. No contest..................(grin)

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Well , for sure there's no "wrong" answer to the question with a 7 mag . But crunch some figures thru your ballsitic calculator . Compare a very high b.c. bullet like a 160 gr 7mm spitzer at around 3100 fps to a hyper speed load (say 3300 and up) with a bullet of lessor ballistic qualities and you will see there is precious little difference in drop at 400 yards . Farther than that , I think striking energy will begin to favor the heavy slug more and more ......besides , I've been shooting lead bullets for thirty years and there is just something wrong with the idea of throwing copper instead of lead . HehHeh grin

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
No,it's all a matter of preference. Give me your load data,it's speed/BC and I'll crunch them on my PACT. Most guys grossly underestimate the trajectory retention of lesser BC projectiles,when launched at warp speed. It's often an eye opener. The 120 vs 160 comparison,will be interesting and others may be interested,as well. No right or wrong answer,just a comparison.
<br>
<br>I'll just crunch the 120X at 3500fps,because all 24" tubes I've played with,will easily do that. We'll use a 250yd zero and crunch both trajectory and wind drift,to 750yds(as an excersize). I can figure energy as well.
<br>
<br>This will be a fun excersize. I'll run both,at equal sight heights and atmospheres. Then I'll scan the printout of each and we can razz eachother.
<br>
<br>Is it a Date?(grin)...............

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
This is as fast,as my fat fingers can go,typing/scanning/posting.................
<br>
<br>[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Go to it Stick . I already crunched it on my freebie bal. software , so we'll see if they will agree . I really never chronoed that load but trajectory from actual shooting matches up with the muzzle velocity of 3100 . The Speer hot core has a b.c. of .500 ........I keep it sighted 3 inch high at 100 , puts it dead on at 300 ......

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Slinger,
<br>
<br>Here's your data and the common misconception. You'll see though the 120X gives away BC.It starts with a trajectory edge and retains it to 750yds(16" trajectory advantage). It gives up 4" of wind drift at 750yds.
<br>
<br>NOW,put the 120gr V-Max in her,for Off Season practice and you'll be amazed at the versatility and effectiveness. Plus she's softer on the shoulder.
<br>
<br>There isn't an Elk,Deer or Bear,that can fend the 120gr X's punishment,to their anatomy. She's dynamite,in a small package. That's why it is my favorite 7mag load.
<br>
<br>[Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Food for thought....................

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Stick,
<br>
<br>Do you have a way to produce retained velocity at each of those distances for each bullet?
<br>
<br>Point of curiosity...
<br>
<br>Bill

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Since most of the animals I shoot are less than 250 yards, I can't tell the difference between the lighter bullets and the 175gr that cuts bullet holes touching at 100 yds. from my 20" barrel Mauser,(med heavy barrel). -- no

A hint to the wise is sufficient! Experience is the best teacher!
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Stick , here's the way I look at it , and figured on Pointblank. I would sight either load for 300 . I don't use a rangefinder , but the max point blank method . With the 300 sighting , the 120 x will drop 7.6 inch at 400 . It will have retained velocity of 2180 and 1274 ft lbs at 600 .
<br>The 160 gr . will show a drop at 400 of 9.1 at 400 . A difference of 1.5 inch is why I said precious little difference at 400 . It will retain 2086 fps and 1546 ft lbs at 600 yards .
<br>
<br>If you use a range finder , and mil dots or turret adjustment , it seems to me the trajectory advange is somewhat moot . The 160 does have a bit less wind drift .
<br>
<br>I could cheat and specify a 160 gr boat tail at a b.c. of 0.550 HehHeh . But I've always used the flat base spitzer .
<br>
<br>Need One , I know what you are saying , but it's the slow season and we need something to argue about . (grin ).
<br>
<br>

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I gotta rerun the data,less the wind drift,to get remaining velocity at each distance............
<br>
<br>

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
387 members (1lesfox, 300jimmy, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 40 invisible), 2,060 guests, and 904 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,004
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.