Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
I'm wondering what the inside of the 95 grain Ballistic Tip looks like in 243.

Anybody ever cut one apart?

BP-B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Copper and lead with a plastic tip.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I smacked a grey fox with a 95 ballistic tip at about 20 yds with one that was traveling approx 3,150 fps.

I didn't get to see the inside of the bullet, but I did get to see the inside of the fox; it was sprayed all over the trees and leaf covered ground behind it.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No, but based on reports, I am betting it's built tough, like the 338/200s...they are known to penetrate well.

Took 2 deer last season from my 6BR Dakota, would not hesitate on any deer/hog, angle, up to 400 yds from say a 2900-3,000 mv load.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No, but I have seen them kill deer, fired from a 6mm Rem M700 from almost 400 yards. If I used my 243 for deer, that's what I would load.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

The .243" 95-grain Ballistic was designed by Gail Root. Gail was perhaps Nosler's most talented ballistician.

Gail is and was a .243 Winchester NUT and he designed the 95-grain to be HIS big game killing bullet. Goodness only knows how many big 6X6 bull elk Gail took with the 95 and most of them with a single well-placed shot.

I know of at least one record-class Nilgai bull that Gail killed with the 85. Nilgai have the well-earned reputation of being almost bulletproof. The bull fell at the shot.

Gail also used the 95 to collect his magnigicent B&C typical whitetail.

Gail was proud of the 96=5s performance of big game; it's great penetration, superb accuracy and killing performance is amazing. This is one bullet that never had to go back for re-design.

Yes, I've killed big game with the.243 95-grain Ballistic ... maybe thirty head of assorted mule deer, whitetail, antelope and one quite decent black bear. And, YES, one raghorn 5X5 bull elk that measured about 285 B&C. I've never had to shoot any big game animal more than once and the animals either dropped in place or struggled for less than 20 yards.

The single bull elk I killed with the 95-grain fell as if electrocuted. I was using a Runger Number One in 6mm Remington Normal.

Naysayers will cuss and discuss the Ballistic Tip ... and that ain't my problem. I'm only telling you what I know for a fact and I have considerable experience with the 95-grainer and have found it to be a superb big game bullet.

Steve

PS. If I was shooting foxes, coyotes and bobcats, I WOULD NOT use the 95-grain Ballistic Tip. It is for this purpose that Gail designed the 70-grain Ballistic. Gail was justifiably proud of both the 95 and the 70 ... they each were made for a specific purpose and they both accomplish their goals wonderfully.

By the way, Gail pretty much killed stuff with two rifles. Literally ALL of his big game was slain cleanly with his .243 Winchester Normal.

And for prairie dogs, varmints of all types and predators, Gail shot a Remington 700 that he had barreled and chambered for .221 Fireball ... and he loaded 40-grain Ballistics.

Truly, many times, my friend Gail has whopped my ass seriously with his .221 Fireball rifle, while I was using my max-loaded .223 Ackley Improved. Gail will always have my total and utmost respect as a man, a ballistician and a stone-cold killer.

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Many thanks DZ. Wish you could be around more often.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dogzapper

The .243" 95-grain Ballistic was designed by Gail Root. Gail was perhaps Nosler's most talented ballistician.

Gail is and was a .243 Winchester NUT and he designed the 95-grain to be HIS big game killing bullet. Goodness only knows how many big 6X6 bull elk Gail took with the 95 and most of them with a single well-placed shot.

I know of at least one record-class Nilgai bull that Gail killed with the 85. Nilgai have the well-earned reputation of being almost bulletproof. The bull fell at the shot.

Gail also used the 95 to collect his magnigicent B&C typical whitetail.

Gail was proud of the 96=5s performance of big game; it's great penetration, superb accuracy and killing performance is amazing. This is one bullet that never had to go back for re-design.

Yes, I've killed big game with the.243 95-grain Ballistic ... maybe thirty head of assorted mule deer, whitetail, antelope and one quite decent black bear. And, YES, one raghorn 5X5 bull elk that measured about 285 B&C. I've never had to shoot any big game animal more than once and the animals either dropped in place or struggled for less than 20 yards.

The single bull elk I killed with the 95-grain fell as if electrocuted. I was using a Runger Number One in 6mm Remington Normal.

Naysayers will cuss and discuss the Ballistic Tip ... and that ain't my problem. I'm only telling you what I know for a fact and I have considerable experience with the 95-grainer and have found it to be a superb big game bullet.

Steve

PS. If I was shooting foxes, coyotes and bobcats, I WOULD NOT use the 95-grain Ballistic Tip. It is for this purpose that Gail designed the 70-grain Ballistic. Gail was justifiably proud of both the 95 and the 70 ... they each were made for a specific purpose and they both accomplish their goals wonderfully.

By the way, Gail pretty much killed stuff with two rifles. Literally ALL of his big game was slain cleanly with his .243 Winchester Normal.

And for prairie dogs, varmints of all types and predators, Gail shot a Remington 700 that he had barreled and chambered for .221 Fireball ... and he loaded 40-grain Ballistics.

Truly, many times, my friend Gail has whopped my ass seriously with his .221 Fireball rifle, while I was using my max-loaded .223 Ackley Improved. Gail will always have my total and utmost respect as a man, a ballistician and a stone-cold killer.

what do you think a 95 btip would do to a coyote, to me a heavy contructed bullet would work great on coyotes, my problem is most varmint bullets I use tend to blow up with huge exit holes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have shot coyotes with the 95-grain BTs. I haven't shot coyotes for fur since the early 1980s but, in my opinion, none of the pelts from animals I have killed with the 95s were unusable. I have never tried the 70-grain BT, but would certainly give it a look based on Dog-Zapper's post...

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When the 55gr 6mm Btip came out, a buddy gave 'em a whirl in his 6mm Rem Douglass barreled varminter. Made for some pretty nasty looking dismembered woodchucks. Made such an indelible impression on another friend, that he went out and bought a new M700ADL, just to have something to shoot them in.

I eventually got that bug and now shoot the 55 grainers in an old M788 in 243. That bullet churns 'em pretty good. In my extensive experience blasting woodchucks, the 55gr 6mm Btip is nearly twice as destructive as my old standby 55gr Btip in the 22-250.

One year the buddy with the ADL, popped a deer with the 95gr Btip from the same rifle, at a lasered 395 yards (referenced above). I suppose he was comfy taking that shot from the Harris, because he'd been doing that for years with other rifles and liked the way the new 6mm shot with the 55s and the 95s.

He and I had both been killing deer with our 25-06s and 100gr Btips, for some time, including a few beyond 400yds.

Year or two later, he built a heavy barreled (26" Douglass) 6mm06 and got to liking the 80gr version for longer pokes at 'chucks with that set up. IIRC, his longest kill on 'chucks with it, was around 800 yards.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glad to hear that the 95gr. is a tough bullet as I loaded some up for a friends wife for whitetail. She's a bit recoil sensitive so I thought they would be a good choice if they held up well.

`Bring Enough Gun`
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
After reading this, I might have to pick up some and see how they shoot in my 243 win. I love the little rifle to death. Only had it about 5 1/2 months and its already my favorite!

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Orion, the 95 BT and 80TTSX/85 XBT/TSX are my top 3 for do it all 243 loads and kill deer dead every time, every angle when bullet is directed at/passes thru vitals.

Steve, great info/posts and it explains alot - in the why of this bullets performance. I can add to my first post above, my Dakota Predator 6BR w/10 Twist bbl shot the 95s into 5/8" at 200 yds, group after group when I did my part. As expected, it did wonderful on deer.

The Barnes may give more penetration, or as much on say very hard hard/angles etc, but the 95 BT may surpass them at long range as higher BC/wt. will yield higher retained energy yet still expand well. Admittingly distances would have to be great, but re: long shots, read where one guy reported a SOLID deer kill around 540 or 570 yds....(from memory) seems like on Midway USA's review.

No bullet is perfect under all conditions, but I think what some call a Marginal deer ctg, the 243 turns into a dead reliable DEADLY deer round when the best of today's bullets are used. The 95 ranks in my top 3 go to bullets whenever after deer. Other's will work, and work well, but there are 3 that I have ZERO reservations using under all and any adverse conditions, at any sane range.

Just my .02. Oh, BTW, had a Speedy 'SG&Y' built 221FB, and I only shot 40 Vmax over Lil Gun at 3600+, it just seemed to be that round's 'right sized load' that shot flat, accurate (one hole) and minimal recoil. LOVED the rounds lack of bark, bite, and the bbl stayed cool shot after shot after....... Steve, hope life is well.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Anyone have any experience with the 90 grain NBT? My .243 WSSM loves them, along with the 85 TTSX.

Is the 90 NBT as tough as the 95?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Great Post, This kind of info is what makes hanging around this site worthwhile, wading through the bickering crap and to read this, Thank You

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anyone have any experience with the 90 grain NBT? My .243 WSSM loves them, along with the 85 TTSX.

Is the 90 NBT as tough as the 95?

No, but they are both classified as hunting bullets. Puzzles me why they'd take a 5gr jump, though?

I can comprehend 10, 15 and 20gr jumps in the same diameters, as providing flexibility in weight choices, but why a 5gr one, when only two hunting bullets are even offered in that diameter?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I just loaded this bullet in my 243 and was going to switch to the 100 gr partition, after reading DZ's writeup, I think I will stick with them as they shot pretty well the first time around.

Thanks for the info, good thread.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Steve pretty well said all that need be said about the bullet. But, I'll add a skosh bit anyway..grin

I've used it a ton in the 6/06, always accurate and always incredily capable on game from frogs to elk! I never had one stay in game of any size and the normal sequence is drop the hammer and the critter goes right into the old Nozler Nap as I call it.

As well I've used the 70 NBT's (6/06), worked like a charm on all that moved as well.

4 pelts the 70 and the 95 are very destructive, especially if any big bones are encountered at all (spine,shoulder or breast on a frontal shot).

If I'm trying to be a bit pelt friendly slam dunk the 55 NBT's are the bullet I go to. If I hit big bones things get ugly but not as bad as with the two bigger slugs. I even shot my whitey doe last fall at about 190 yds with the slug. The bullet went thru both fronts and was found just about to exit. Said volunteer bounced!

That is the only the 3rd NBT I've found in game of any size from big to small and I've taken several ark fulls of game with the bullets.

I could easily hunt the world with NBT's and never look back.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've shot a ton of them but never taken any game.

If it acts like the 100 gr. .25 cal Ballistic Tip then it should work like a champ....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There is usaually an air gap at the tip connection area. The heat of the belt sander causes the plastic tip to melt into the air voids around the hollow point.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
170 members (12344mag, 257robertsimp, 160user, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 2UP, 15 invisible), 1,844 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,783
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.