-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My MLB would have buried that kid,we don't teach trick plays because we have talented kids playing for us.

GB1

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by ADK4Rick
My MLB would have buried that kid,we don't teach trick plays because we have talented kids playing for us.

No, it sounds like you have kids that stay to the fundamental basics. THAT is what kills "trick" plays.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
well yea,we teach the basics,but we do have an amazingly talented group of young men playing for us.we have 10 year olds running the veer like WV.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
well yea,we teach the basics,but we do have an amazingly talented group of young men playing for us.we have 10 year olds running the veer like WV.

Ain't saying much....

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by VAnimrod

Of course, I'm a Lombardi fan, too. "Winning isn't everything; it's the only thing."

Because second place is like kissing.......

your sister.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ironbender

Of course, I'm a Lombardi fan, too. "Winning isn't everything; it's the only thing."

Because second place is like kissing.......

your sister.

Just not much too it, huh.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Tell me. smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Ain't saying much....

I haven't watched much WVU football this season, but if I'm not mistaken, they don't even run the veer.

Pretty sure they just run a zone read (a la Rich Rod's team) out of multiple shotgun formations, similar to what Oregon also runs.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I saw that play on ESPN last evening, it's funny to watch, but I as a coach can't imagine EVER having kids run that. I've heard of it before, but it's pretty despicable to see it actually run in a real game.

It reflects pretty poorly on the coaches, in my opinion. I coached 3rd and 4th grade football this year (8 and 9 year olds), and we ran shotgun formation over 50% of the time (much easier for them than under center, as the league uses a ball that is WAY too big), with a little bit of option/zone read plays thrown in. Hell, I even had my 9 year old guard pulling on trap plays by the end of the year and he did a damn fine job of it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nope, far from wrong.

I'll say this... You are a hard headed SOB... And you are still wrong...

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BrotherBart
Nope, far from wrong.

I'll say this... You are a hard headed SOB... And you are still wrong...

+1

War Damn Eagle!

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I haven't kept score on this but at the risk of not letting this die, has any active coach on here thought the play call was okay?

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I say it's chicken chit..

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Even sadder, them kids celebrating in the end zone like something heroic had just happened frown

It's kinda like someone patting themselves on the back when the welfare check showed up in the mail..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
I haven't kept score on this but at the risk of not letting this die, has any active coach on here thought the play call was okay?

I'm an active coach, and I guess if "okay" means "within the rules of the game", yes, it was. But, the way I see it, the play may have been legal but it doesn't mean it was an ethical play call in any way, shape, or form. I'd have never made the call, but I'm damn sure my defense would've tackled that QB, regardless.

Also, I'd hope damn sure that the refs would've blown the play dead. If the head coach would've told me prior to the game they may run a "trick" play like that, they'd be getting flagged if they tried to run that. I know in the league I coached in, no way in hell that play would fly. I can't honestly see it working unless the coaches had notified the referees prior to the game or prior to running it.

If you need to call that play to win a game, then you need to learn how to become a better coach.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Why was the entire defense, except for one player, just standing there watching? Tackle his ass!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by toltecgriz

I think I've made my opinion clear.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Also, the real question should be, what kind of league allows the center to "snap" the ball by handing it over his shoulder? Pretty pathetic if they allow that at a 13/14 year old level. As far as I'm concerned, play should have been blown dead at the "snap".

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For those that are asking about the ref's involvement in the play, you should watch the interview with the coach and the kid who plays QB for the team that ran the trick play. During the interview, the coach made it clear that before every game, the coaches get a chance to talk to the referees about any 'trick plays' they may run, specifically so that they can make sure they are legal/allowable plays, and so that the ref's don't blow the play dead inadvertently if the play is called. That's precisely what the coach did prior to the game.

So again, I'll state that the play was known to the ref's, deemed legal, and then called/run by the team who did it. It was within the rules, with prior notice to the officials, and that's that.

Is a play like that within "the spirit of the game"? Even I don't think it really is ... but regardless, it was a legal play, and when you're in a competition with clearly defined rules (such as football, even at the Junior High level), then it's fair game.

Were I a coach, like 280rem is, I would also be spending 99.9% of my time working on the fundamentals and more orthodox plays ... but that doesn't mean that I would skip over educating my team about trick plays, and making sure they knew what to do in such situations.

That said, once more I'll ask to anyone who says that it was a "chickenschitt" call ... At what point (age or level of football) does it become "ok" to run such a play, or any really 'strange' trick plays such as this one?

-WGM-
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Middle school QB had a mustache, and 3 all needed their green cards checked.

Sir, relevant to another thread, you are now "0 for 3" in the game of "Spot the Mexican" grin

MOST Americans down here look like that, across hundreds of miles.

The way the Border Patrol does it is to get folks to say something, the way one pronounces English being as good as an ID in most cases.

Anyhoo... its easier to tell in person, besides the accent, Mexican Mexicans usually bear the signs of tougher living.

But I digress...

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,086 guests, and 1,037 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,339
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.