Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
HitnRun Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I was just reading through the latest Handloader magazine and stumbled accross the article on page 20. It seems as if Shrapnel is for real, I had no idea one person could accomplish all that he is given credit for.

I don't know if I understand him more or less.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You know he's also a poster here right?

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Check out his posts.

I have gotten to know ol' Shrapnel pretty well in the past couple of years. He's a rifle loony of the first order, and also really likes to hunt.

Turns out we were in high school together and didn't know it. He was a year behind me, but as I understand it he hadn't blown up any guns yet.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Check out his posts.

I have gotten to know ol' Shrapnel pretty well in the past couple of years. He's a rifle loony of the first order, and also really likes to hunt.

Turns out we were in high school together and didn't know it. He was a year behind me, but as I understand it he hadn't blown up any guns yet.

Hmmm.

I remember reading some of Ventorino's writing going back about ten years that Shrapnel HAD blown up several older guns and lived to tell about it.

Hence the nickname "Shrapnel".

Last edited by jim62; 11/17/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I read that article too and figured it had to be the same guy as on here. Pretty cool!

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I occasionally run into Shrapnel at the local gun shows, he "seeeems" fairly normal?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Talking about Clark?

He's a great guy.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I was fliping though the magazine and saw the pick of a guy hunting rabbits with a 20 plus pound rifle and thought I've seen that guy before. Some people are just coller than the rest of us.

Whatever a 7x57 can do a 270 can do better.

True fair chase is you in the woods buttnaked with nothing but your finger nails and teeth.

If you'e fixin' to put a hole in something, make it a hole to remember.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

My impression - not endorsed by Venturino or Shrapnel, BTW - is that the Shrapnel who appears in Venturinos columns is a kind of avatar of the real person.

Like Dave Berry will write about his wife in a way that makes you think she's a cartoon figure, and she puts up with it because she knows its part of the act, the schtick.

Venturino and Shrapnel appear to be really good, really close friends.

And I note that JB and Eileen hunt with Shrapnel from time to time, and they're not skeered.

- Tom

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Shrapnel is either a character or a caricature, I am not sure which, and I have known hime for 15 years!

He is a rifle looney, for sure, and if he ever buys something from you, it is either a high-quality item, or you just sold it for too little!

When it comes to deals, this guy is a MASTER. I have much to learn.

If you ever need a solid opinion on a gun, he is a great resource.

If you ever go rabbit hunting with him, you'd better be quick on the trigger! Also, as much as I like the guy, I will shoot my own handloads.... he's called shrapnel for a reason!

“I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love, and it’s difficult to analyze love when you’re in it.” John Steinbeck
IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
The gunlooney world allows for two Shrapnel's

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I want to hear some stories.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've exchange a few PMs with Shrapnel. A helluva good guy, IMHO.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Always a good thing to have a firearm looney who is a blast !

At a good and safe distance of course wink . They remind of the potential for doing things we shouldn't, at times.

Carry on Shrapnel..........,and keep safe please, some of those blasts were antique status IRC, or were frown .

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
He is either (take your pick) 1) unlucky, 2) careless or 3) God just has it in for him.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 7mmMato
I want to hear some stories.

Hey what's all this talk about Shrapnel???

There are even more stories, One involves a machine gun and the firing line around Gardiner, Montana. But wait, Mike still needs something to write about.

This one was kind of fun. We were bear hunting near Kalispell, MT and came around the corner of a logging road with a tree across the road. We didn't have a saw, so I took the M-1 Garand out of it's case and shot through the tree about 1 inch apart to weaken the tree.

Then we hooked the winch up to the tree, put a coat over the cable in case it should snap and pulled the tree in two and then went up the road about 50 more yards and ran into a snow drift we couldn't get through or around...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Outstanding!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
YEAH!

Now that's a real blast, grin.

Way to go!

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Interesting way to saw a tree.

When I first saw the top picture I was curious how big the snow patch in the background was...... Guess you answered that....lol

Congats on supplying Mike literary material, does he pay you in bullets. or replacement guns..lol

Allen

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did you see the article in question here? He posted a picture of his gun safe where I had put sticky notes on the guns I wanted, should something happen to Mike.

I have always said the crumbs that fall off his plate onto mine make a real feast. No complaints here. I did ask him why he didn't write about the good things I have done, he told me "You can have fame or justice, but you can't have both."

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

91 members (257robertsimp, 300_savage, 01Foreman400, 338Rules, 16penny, 13 invisible), 1,152 guests, and 767 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,057
Posts18,463,236
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.