Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by wrongtime
For the most part, I have owned American made rifles all my life and have paid little attention to the Sako rifles; though I am aware they are highly regarded. I have become interested in this model, but am a little taken aback at the asking price. I am accustomed to such prices on fine wood and blue steel rifles; but a stainless and laminate? Are these rifles really worth the money? If so, why?

You could pay the same price for a fine wood and blued steel version of the Sako 85 if you so desire...

http://sako.fi/sako85models.php?classic

Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

If I were smart enough, which apparently I'm not
BP-B6

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by archie_james_c
Originally Posted by wrongtime
For the most part, I have owned American made rifles all my life and have paid little attention to the Sako rifles; though I am aware they are highly regarded. I have become interested in this model, but am a little taken aback at the asking price. I am accustomed to such prices on fine wood and blue steel rifles; but a stainless and laminate? Are these rifles really worth the money? If so, why?

You could pay the same price for a fine wood and blued steel version of the Sako 85 if you so desire...

http://sako.fi/sako85models.php?classic

Yes, I know; but that would not serve the purpose of the rifle. I'm looking for an indestructible, weatherproof, go-anywhere sort of rifle. I cannot stand a synthetic stock. Laminate is as far as I'll go from traditional wood. I am just not accustomed to seeing such "soulless" rifles at such prices. Do they really offer more than a Ruger, for example? I believe in getting what I pay for.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I had a 75 Greywolf, traded it on an 85 stainless/syn. The Greywolf was a heavy bastid, fun to shoot not carry.

If you can't stomach plastic and weight is not an issue(and it's not raining everyday) just get wood. Unless you are truly abusing the rifle wood ain't gonna be that much of an issue.

Last edited by SamOlson; 11/17/10.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I had a Greywolf in .308. My brother in law liked it so much he pestered me to sell it to him. And to encourage him to start hunting again I sold it to him.
I liked that rifle a lot, and shot it better than any other I have owned so far. I liked the very quick lock time and crisp trigger. That combination allowed me to make running shots with relative ease. The fit and balance worked exceptionally well for me. The only small concern I had was the magazine. It was possible to make the shells in the magazine rattle if you loaded a full magazine, bolted one into the chamber, and then when carrying the rifle the rest of the shells in the mag would rattle slightly front and back when the rifle was moved quickly. But that's it. NO other issues with quality, accuracy or function. They are good rifles.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sako 75 and 85's are rifles that are manufactured to a higher standard instead of made to sell at a price point. You see machined steel instead of MIM parts, the internal parts are finished better, they are machined more square than many other rifles that are made to compete on price. If you are looking for higher overall quality the Sako 85's are for you and the price is well justified.

If you want a very good rifle at a lower price point you might look into the Sako A7's or Tikka T3's. They are very good rifles but have a few less expensively manufactured parts such as the stocks and magazines.......................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Odd that I never noticed before, but the Beretta USA site lists the 85 Grey Wolf in only a handful of calibers (not counting the varmint, set-trigger versions). The Sako Finland site doesn't list the Grey Wolf at all -- just the "Hunter Laminated Stainless" in many more chamberings. I assume they are essentially the same rifle?

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I had a 85 Greywolf(338 Fed).True it was noticably heavier than my Finnlight(308Win),but not bad.A tad over 7#,bare naked.But it was light by the standard Mod.444 Marlin I lugged around for years.
Everything said about their quality and performance equals my results.The Sako is the best I've used yet.Total confidence.
BTW Optilock RINGMOUNTS (one piece) are the way to go.

Sorry,I drank the Sako-Aid.My opinion may be biased.
bh444
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
These groups were shot with stainless Sako 75's and 85's but I have no doubt a greywolf would shoot the same. These groups were all shot at 100 yards and the orange dots are one inch.

Sako 85 25-06 100 grain TSX
[img:center]http://[Linked Image][/img]

Sako 75 270 WSM 130 grain BT

Sako 75 270 win 130 BT

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
98 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, Akpilot, 13 invisible), 1,752 guests, and 753 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,720
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.