Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by hatari
Chui,

Nice looking rifle. What make?

Hey, Your Exhalted Highhness, I've been waiting 4 years for an answer!!!

Is it some kind of secret? South Carolina made Model 70 or something??? smile

Patience is a virtue......

Talk about getting lost in the mail??? I asked 11/23/10.

I figured he's just been mad at me for 9 years! smile smile

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Happy to help!

Sometimes you gotta keep the poobah on task or his mind will wander, for a decade or so.......... laugh

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
286 Partitions shoot as well or better than any other 250-286 gr. bullets I've tried. If I was hunting anything big or mean NP's would be my choice.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
250 grain Nosler Accubonds!

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Dang, old thread, hope jetblueman got to Africa and killed a Cape Buff, were I to take my 9.3 to Africa for buffalo, it'd be stoked with 320gr Woodleigh Weldcore softs and 285gr BBW #13 solids.

Trump Won!
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
At this point I feel compelled to repeat the comment from the most experienced African PH I know, who retired a few years ago. He was born and raised in what was then Rhodesia, and killed his first buffalo at 17, when he started working as a game ranger for the parks department. Among other things, he was one of the original Selous Scouts during the revolution that turned the country into Zimbabwe, and also a culler for a huge ranch, where he killed hundreds of buffalo, mostly during drives.

When I met him, his total time as a PH (between short stints at other jobs, including a couple years working for the U.S in the sandbox) was well over 30 years. He used several cartridges for backing-up buffalo hunters, from the .375 H&H to .458 Lott, and when I asked him what .375 bullet he preferred, said: "Whatever clients leave behind. These days all the bullets are good!"

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Damn good info MD, Thanks. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
At this point I feel compelled to repeat the comment from the most experienced African PH I know, who retired a few years ago. He was born and raised in what was then Rhodesia, and killed his first buffalo at 17, when he started working as a game ranger for the parks department. Among other things, he was one of the original Selous Scouts during the revolution that turned the country into Zimbabwe, and also a culler for a huge ranch, where he killed hundreds of buffalo, mostly during drives.

When I met him, his total time as a PH (between short stints at other jobs, including a couple years working for the U.S in the sandbox) was well over 30 years. He used several cartridges for backing-up buffalo hunters, from the .375 H&H to .458 Lott, and when I asked him what .375 bullet he preferred, said: "Whatever clients leave behind. These days all the bullets are good!"

Prexactly, which leaves only one criteria: the one your rifle likes best...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
In your evidently experienced opinion, is a 286 grain bullet good enough for big African Dangerous Game?

I have only shot Speer 270 Semi Spitzers in my 9.3x62 and only hunted deer. I have killed only one deer with it, a one shot DRT at 40 yards. The entry wound was 1", the exit was 2". I'm not an African hunter but I'm curious about all things African. I worked in Liberia for 7 months in 1969-1970 when I was 21-22 years old and haven't been back since. I shot a few deer there but they were two legged.

Maybe I meant Dear, LOL!!!

Last edited by Filaman; 02/21/19.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sako76
250 grain Nosler Accubonds!

He asked about dangerous game effectiveness, not mule deer effectiveness. wink Also don't depend on 270 Speers; they're soft.

I dispatched a buffalo with a combination gun with the rife part 9,3X74R using a Woodleigh 286 solid. Had factory 286 Partition been available back then I would have used that, hands down. Anecdotal, but I was present when six A-Frames from a 9,3X64 Brenneke didn't do what was necessary on a BIG Masailand buffalo.

The bigger caliber Partitions are very good and tough, IMO.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bruce,

The big AccuBonds are pretty tough, in fact in my experience as tough as Partitions of the same weight. Know two people who've taken buffalo, no problem, with the 260 from the .375 H&H, one a charging bull. They hold together fine in the .375 Ruger as well.

I've shot a bunch of big game with the 250 9.3 from both the 9.3x62 and 9.3 B-S (same ballistics), including a 7-1/2 foot grizzly and plains game from gemsbok to kudu. The only one recovered was the second shot on the grizzly. The first one went broadside through the bear, entering just behind the left shoulder and exiting the meat of the right shoulder. The bear turned started running angling away. The second bullet entered the right rear ribs and was found under the hide on the left side of the neck, retaining over 80% of its weight. That was at about 50 yards.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's good to know, John. The biggest I've taken with AccuBonds is a BIG cow elk with my 9,3X62 and 250gr ABs. I didn't get much "data" from that one hunt; it was one shot...flop on side.

I'm a big fan of the AccuBonds and need to apologize to the Sako76, it appears. Humble pie for breakfast... blush grin

Last edited by luv2safari; 03/01/19.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
ttt

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I saw 7 A-frames absolutely pancake in a buffalo. These were fired from a 9.3 Sisk, 286 grainers in the 2750 fps range. A few completely came apart. Partitions always seem to work the same way, expand on the front back to the partiton, then keep penetrating. If you are only hunting plains game, either will work.
Charlie

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I've been loading my .9.3X62 with Speer 270 grains over about 59 grains IMR 4895. That load works great on local game here on the Centra Texas Gulf Coast, that being mainly deer and someday hopefully I'll have it along when I run into Porky. However, I would like to work a load up with a bigger bullet such as the 286 Grain Partition or A Frame. What powder and how much would y'all recommend for a mid range load? Not starting and not max.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Charlie_Sisk
I saw 7 A-frames absolutely pancake in a buffalo. These were fired from a 9.3 Sisk, 286 grainers in the 2750 fps range. A few completely came apart. Partitions always seem to work the same way, expand on the front back to the partiton, then keep penetrating. If you are only hunting plains game, either will work.
Charlie

Damn! I thought I was the only one, and was never going to bring it up, however mine didn't pancake on buffalo, just some homemade testing media here at the farm, bullet was a 375 cal 300gr a-frame, it looks like a piece of mashed sugar baby candy, I still have it here somewhere, the 375 cal 300gr Partition, or any other weight/caliber Partition I tested/recovered from other game, NEVER done that, I could always count on at the very least a somewhat expanded 60% of initial weight solid plowing on through.

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Filaman
I've been loading my .9.3X62 with Speer 270 grains over about 59 grains IMR 4895. That load works great on local game here on the Centra Texas Gulf Coast, that being mainly deer and someday hopefully I'll have it along when I run into Porky. However, I would like to work a load up with a bigger bullet such as the 286 Grain Partition or A Frame. What powder and how much would y'all recommend for a mid range load? Not starting and not max.

JB's loads are a good place to start. They've stood the test of time.

DF

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
There's a reason the 9.3x62 did so well at its historical velocity. Run a 286 NP at 2350-2400 fps into anything practically and one gets desired performance. Not hard.

The way life should be.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Thanks for the info Dirtfarmer and bluefish. Like I said, all I've ever killed with it is whitetail. I've been hard headed and always take my .270 Win. or .30-06 after pigs, not because I figured they were better for that purpose but because I'm so comfortable shooting those two. I've even killed pigs with my .243. But all that's about to change. Now to get me some Partitions and some Big Game and see how my rifle likes that combo.

Last edited by Filaman; 05/22/19.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Hunter: Thanks for the picture. Good view of the "bulge" Mule Deer was talking about.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

110 members (44automag, 338reddog, 4xbear, 673, 444Matt, 257robertsimp, 16 invisible), 1,662 guests, and 948 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,187
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.