Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I think Levrluvr has it figured, but other suggestions are good to. I run two ProMacs and a big Stihl, and on really hot days any can have issues. One item I've not seen mentioned is to always operate with sharp chains. Most of my heating issues have happened when I'm about to wrap things up and I'm trying to finish with a chain that should be sharpend or swapped out. One finds himself actually leaning on the bar or really bitting with the dogs to force cutting when the chain isn't up to the task. Switching to a sharp chain has a significant affect on heat build up, because it cuts way back on the effort (both friction and fuel consumption) a saw must put out to make progress.

Unless you are an exception, most home owners are using chains that woodsmen would not be caught with. When working up firewood loads, I do everything in my power to avoid cutting dirty wood or letting the chain cut into the soil. Mostly that means taking a peavy along, making partial cuts through logs, rolling them over, and bushing off dirt or prying out embedded stones etc before finishing. If there is enough material around, I will spread it out along the fall line and drop the tree on old limbs and such so it's not touching the ground at all. That really speeds up my cutting. A really sharp chain is like a laying on of the hands for a seemingly poor performing saw. If one even thinks it's cutting poorly, it is, and it's time to sharpen up.

At times saws can be quite frustrating, and I'm sure that saw grimlins do actually exist. I nearly had a load worked up this summer, and my saw quit. Swapped it out, and it still wouldn't start even after an hour's break. A couple days later as I was about to break it down, I thought "what the hell," gave it tug, and it fired right up. Worked just fine for the rest of the summer.

Last edited by 1minute; 11/21/10.

1Minute
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Probably not your issue, but I had a lawnmower that when it was hot the coil would quit sending a spark. Have you pulled the plug when it won't run to see if you've got spark? (I guess you did say it fired sporadically when hot)

Bad Coil!!!!!!!

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"...I know, I know....buy a Stihl..."

Bingo..... smile

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by the_shootist
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
Originally Posted by Spanokopitas

This sound counter-intuitive but try choking it.

I bought a new Husky last year after running Stihls for years. Had the same problem. Service guy told me to choke it. That solved the problem.

Let me know if that works.
If you have to choke an engine after it is warmed up and during regular use, you have a problem with your fuel mixture settings. The choke is for starting only. After it is started, it should run smoothly without the fuel being adjusted externally.

I agree. The only thing that might have happened if the saw ran completely out of gas before it was refueled, it may need a little choking to get the fuel up to the carb, but after that, it should choke itself to death.

I said it was counter-intuitive. I also said it worked for me---more than once. So, what's wrong with trying it?

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by savage24
I've got a Poulan chainsaw that runs fine for 1 or 2 tanks of gas but seems to be starved for fuel after it gets hot. After filling it with fuel it will fire sporadically but will not run. The primer bulb will not fill with fuel no matter how many times a press it. The next day when the saw is cold the primer bulb will fill with fuel and the saw will start easily.

I know, I know....buy a Stihl.

Can any body help me get the Poulan running so I can put off buying the Stihl a little longer?

Thanks in advance!

Are you running ethanol blended fuel?

My Poulan, (it was painted gray and sold as a Craftsman) would vapor lock if it was ever shut down hot. The only answer was to just wait until the saw cooled down before trying to restart it.

One day I filled my saw gas can at a station which sold fuel without ethanol blended in. The saw started perfectly every time that day.

I continued to purchase my saw gas at the same location and totally cured my starting problem.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
690 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12308300, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 81 invisible), 2,786 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,634
Posts18,398,904
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.