Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have a real nice M70 .300 WinMag Super Grade that is destined for some kind of change. It has a real nice stock that many of you have seen in a prior post.
<br>
<br>ANYWAY ... this dang rifle is too heavy to lug around in the black timber while elk hunting, and I've decided to build a pair of matching WSM's, a .300 or .338 (haven't decided which yet) and .257 WSM, leaving me with a spare hot 30.
<br>
<br>I'm pretty new at the big bores, but find them fascinating. It seems to me from my reading that the .458 WinMag is about all I can get from this M70 action, but I've also read that tis caliber has trouble reaching the listed 2200 fps.
<br>
<br>Can anyone shed any light on this caliber for me? How much work am I looking at to convert the .300 Winny into a .458 Winny? Is this caliber redundant with my .375 H&H, or am I getting into a caliber that offers a significant step up in kaboom? What else to do with that .300 if not this?
<br>
<br>Rick

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rick, the 458 would fit just fine in the 300 action, just replace the barrel and you're on your way to bruised shoulders! [Linked Image]
<br>Many posters on other boards have maligned the 458 for less than ideal performance, mostly on dangerous game. Velocities are usually not as advertised, is the usual complaint. I doubt you would get a complaint from an American elk or ground squirrel, though.
<br> An option you might explore is the 458 Lott. You could still fire the original 458Win in it, but for the really big squirrels and big stuff like Cape Buff (you ARE going to Africa soon, right?), the performance would be up to snuff- think 500 Grain sledgehammers at 2400 fps.
<br>Another option is the 416 remington, which is also very popular and doesn't suffer from the reputation of the 458, in performance or recoil. Both of these is a definite step up in performance from the .375, but I'll let you test them out first while I smile shooting my .375. [Linked Image]- Sheister

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A 416 Taylor would fit right in that action. 416 Rem. and Rigby velocities in a 2.5" case. 400 grain bullets at 2400 FPS. Just what the Dr. ordered.

Allen Glore

aglore@gci.net
BW Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ahh Rick, your finally coming around...
<br>
<br>(Must of rained in LA, and now you can breathe again)
<br>
<br>[Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Your .458/300WM sounds like a fun project. The 425 Express is an established wildcat which uses 300 Win Mag brass necked up to accept .423" bullets. I have load data for it here...
<br>
<br>http://www.geocities.com/bw_99835/page18.htm
<br>
<br>Also, there is a picture of a 300 Win Mag case with a 400gr .416" Hornady seated in to the proper C.O.L. for a M70 magazine. That will give you an idea of what the cartridge (.458/300WM) will look like, just smaller.
<br>
<br>Now, about that 416 Taylor? If we just knew somebody who had some info on it...
<br>
<br>[Linked Image]

Brian

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You may want to go with the 416 Howell, John Ricks has the reamer for it. I should be getting mine pretty soon. It started life as a 30-06.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Rick
<br>
<br>I have some 400 X's that haven't been tried yet, but am very gratefull looks can't kill. At just a tad under 2400 fps., these should make up for any alledged shortcomings of the 458 with the 500 softpoints.
<br>
<br>Shooting 350sp or 300x's at just under 2600 fps. should handle any North American safaris. Recoil from these are just a big freindly shove, or similar to your 375.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rick,
<br>
<br>Go with the 458, it is a very versitile round, can be loaded down to 45-70 levels, or up to most impressive levels! I won't get into the bad press issues, but I think of more importance is Winchester really messed up by not loading it for NA, launch a 350 gr @ 2500 fps, recoil is the same as a 375 H&H, and it hits with authority!
<br>
<br>Conversion is straight forward, just a barrel swap.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How about a 458X2inch. I believe it also is called the 458 Alaskan. I have no experience with the cartridge but do have one in my collection. It is merely a 458 Winchester Mag. reduced in length to 2 inches long.

Rolly
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Rick. I would also check into beefing up the stock. Factory .458's have steel bolts installed to forestall stock splits from recoil. E.

RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
E:
<br>
<br>Well, you've seen the stock, so I will definitely keep that in mind.
<br>
<br>I still am not sure if that stock is going to work out. I sure hope so, as it would really be a nice piece if I could get it to work.
<br>
<br>Decisions, decisions.
<br>
<br>Rick

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rick,
<br>
<br>I was going to mention the stock issue, but got pulled away mid post and forgot.
<br>
<br>Here is a superb article on stocking a heavy rifle. http://www.swervingatom.com/accuratereloading/lott.html and keeping it from going to bits, or repairing it when it does.
<br>
<br>I highly recomend a second barrel mounted recoil lug on 40 caliber and up guns.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, I've had no trouble with velocities in mine. 400grn Federal Premium Trophy Bonded (mouthful, eh) trips the chrony at about 2450 fps. Haven't chronied the 500 grn solids yet. Rabid_on_the_Right has a set of 458 dies for me, so if we can just get together sometime I'll try some handloads. [Linked Image] badger.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
badger
<br>I'd be happy to mail them to you if you wanna wip some loads up to shoot in the poatal when littlebit gets done deer hunting[Linked Image] I might have to break out the video camera for that!!!!!
<br>OOoohhhwee.....I think we should get out from under the tin roof first though...
<br>Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Well, I've been gone for far toooo long...
<br>Rick, you're throwing bad money after good to make such
<br>a conversion. The 458 can barely make 2100fps and that is
<br>really smoking. While on the other hand my 450 Ackley makes
<br>2350-2375 without breaking a sweat using the A-Square 465grs (but now I'd use the Woodleigh 480's).
<br>
<br>Also your 300 probably does not have TWO RECOIL LUGS, and this is mandatory for 458 and 450 Ackley/Lott/Watts...
<br>Not to mention the barrel channel will have to be hogged out excessively.
<br>
<br>My advise, is to mothball the .300 (cause I can never really sell anything), and start with a factory .458Win Mag. I did this, and had it converted into 450 Ackley and it works like a charm. You'd need to ream out the chamber, and replace the magazine box with the .375 length box, but that's about it. I shot a Cape Buffalo and Elephant with this combo, and the Buff dropped with 1 shot, and the Elephant took a couple more, but the solids penetrated LENGTHWISE from her hip to her chest...
<br>
<br>Drop me a line, and I'll send you a couple photo's...
<br>
<br>
<br>

Those that would trade freedom for security, deserve neither freedom or security.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rick,
<br>
<br>What a dilema, to many rifles and barreled actions lying around. I think you will find that the time and money invested for such a project is not very cost effective. You can find several used Interarms Zastova M98 Mauser Mark Xs chambered in 458 Win Mag for around $450 and buy new Zastava M98 458 Mags for around $600. For the money your spending to convert the 300 WM (barrel and stock), you could buy a used 375 H&H, Mark X M98 Mauser, rip the barrel off and rebarrel to 458 Lott without restocking most likely (depending on your barrel contour).
<br>
<br>There are also real bargains on used 458 Win Mags in Model 70 Safari rifles all over the place, not to mention 375 H&Hs waiting to become a 458 Lott after rebarreling.
<br>
<br>If I were you, I would build both the 300WSM (180 grains bullets) and a 338WSM (225-250 grain bullets) and send the other 300 Win Mag action over to Rifles Inc for a new rechambering in 25 STW. For $325 you get a full conversion wearing a new 25 STW Shilen chambering and barrel. The 25 STW will smoke the 257WSM under the table with 115-120gr projectiles traveling at plus 3550 fps and ripping 80 grain bullets over the vaunted 4,000 fps mark. Nothing in the .257 class touches it.
<br>
<br>Just food for thought, nothing gospel here.
<br>
<br>Take Care,
<br>rossi

M
M70 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
RickBin
<br>
<br>You didn't mention if the M70 is a push feed or claw extractor. In any case, pull out the box magazine, remove the spacer at the rear of the mag, get a 375 H&H length follower / spring, modify (or replace) the bolt stop (push feed), modify or replace the standing ejector and bolt stop (if claw extractor) and you have an action that will take any of the 3.60" length "belted magnum" cartridges.
<br>
<br>IF you do go with one of the heavy hitters, you should look into an extended recoil lug / bedding system and cross bolts or internal "lock bedding" of the stock.
<br>
<br>By the way, you can go to a REAL heavy hitter with that M70, by opening it up for the (416) Rigby style of case with an OAL of up to 3.95+". Yes, been there - done that, and got pictures of the results. In fact, I've got a modified (as mentioned above) action (M70 of course) sitting next to my monitor waiting for a "wild hair" idea, barrel, stock and scope.
<br>
<br>Good hunting,
<br>Dale (M70)

Good Hunting,
M70
aka, Dale

life. . . . used up, worn out, nothing left but the memories, an' ah yellin' "WOW !! What a ride!!"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just sell it!
<br>
<br>This is like buying a car with a 305 small block and asking how to switch engines to a 350.
<br>
<br>I did not read the other posts.

BW Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don,
<br>
<br>I disagree a little bit. It's not like Rick is buying the rifle, just to rebarrel. He already owns the rifle, and wants to do something different with it.
<br>
<br>I would agree, that it's a shame to start cutting on that nice Super Grade stock.
<br>
<br>Perhaps it would be better (at least to me) to pick up a nice 1909 Argentine Mauser, and have it rebarrel and stocked. Of course, Rick would want a new trigger, side swinging safety, maybe bottom metal (but it is an 1909 Argentine), etc. [Linked Image] $$$
<br>
<br>Here's that picture of a 300 Win Mag case necked up to .416. The cartridge on the left is a fireformed 416 Taylor. The right one is the 416/300WM, naturally "unfireformed" as I don't know of anyone with a rifle chambered for such a round. Try and imagine it with a more defined ("sharper"?) neck.
<br>
<br>[Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Take care.

Brian

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rick, I SAW the picture and I DO wish that rifle were left handed so I could take it off your hands and save you from this awful dilemma.
<br>
<br>Jeff

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rick,
<br>
<br>Can't believe you'd waste all that money on a CRF. wink (What happened to the wink?)
<br>
<br>Regardless, It's time you discussed your project ideas with Mr Ricks: riflesearthlink.net and http://home.earthlink.net/~rifles/
<br>
<br>Blaine

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 70 invisible), 2,515 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,683
Posts18,456,326
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.