Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I have a Kimber 84M Montana that I have never put a sling on, mainly because its so light I have never needed a sling for that rifle. I am going on a East TN mountain hog hunt next week and may need my hands freed up for climbing or hiking. I dont want a gaudy, heavy sling for that rifle, and would prefer synthetic, what slings would be on your short list for my rifle?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like the The Super Sling 2+ from The Outdoor Connection on plastic stocked rifles.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Kimberman
I have a Kimber 84M Montana that I have never put a sling on, mainly because its so light I have never needed a sling for that rifle. I am going on a East TN mountain hog hunt next week and may need my hands freed up for climbing or hiking. I dont want a gaudy, heavy sling for that rifle, and would prefer synthetic, what slings would be on your short list for my rifle?

Butler Creek Mountain sling. Light, nylon, good swivels, tough, and slip-resistant on the shoulder area.

I have several on rifles, and they work great and are very lightweight.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I love my from Ultraflex sling from Slogan Outdoors. I think mine weighs about 7 ozs with swivels.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Browtine
I love my from Ultraflex sling from Slogan Outdoors. I think mine weighs about 7 ozs with swivels.

Looks good. I'm going to try a couple of these. One for my Sako synthetic 260 and another for Dad's old '94. I especially like the two strap system for "backpacking" it.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by TDMax
Originally Posted by Browtine

Looks good. I'm going to try a couple of these. One for my Sako synthetic 260 and another for Dad's old '94. I especially like the two strap system for "backpacking" it.

They are also tacky rubber so will not slip and just enough bounce to them to take the weight off your shoulder when walking. If you sling it over both shoulders "backpack style" your rifle is not going anywhere.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I picked up a Gander Mountain synthetic (nylon?) sling recently. It camo with a grippy material stitched to the inside. Light, std. sling swivel width. I prefer minimal and this isn't quite minimal but is better than most. I've given up on leather in this climate and plain nylon won't stay on my shoulder.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I like the Boonie Packer 1" sling. Very minimal weight, and it has two rows of rubber 'threads' woven into it that provide grippiness on the shoulder. $14

http://www.redi-mag.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=17

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BlackFrog
I like the Boonie Packer 1" sling. Very minimal weight, and it has two rows of rubber 'threads' woven into it that provide grippiness on the shoulder. $14

http://www.redi-mag.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=17

Blackfrog;
We bought 2 of the 1" this past year to test and 2 of the 2" models.

We really like the 1" and have recommended it to others. We like the sticky sections that are woven right into the fabric. It is head and shoulders above a non-coated/sticky type nylon strap.

I'm not as happy with the 2" and believe they will be replaced with 1" very soon. Oh well, live and learn.

Good luck to the OP whichever way you decide to go.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Butler Creek mountain sling for synthtic or more fitting the adjustable leather Montana sling for a Montana. Made by our very own scenershooter.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Vero Vellini. German made. Not the cheapest, just the best. Have used a lot of the others mentioned until I tried these.

Midway USA - Vero Vellini

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I like and use the BlackHawk Mountain sling. It has a non-slip liner in the underside so it stays put on your shoulder. FWIW

'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.' -Carl Sagan

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Get a simple sling, and put a pair of these on it
[Linked Image]
I have some for my M70, and they have held up for years now, and they are quiet.

Have an A1 Day!
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by rmpace
I like and use the BlackHawk Mountain sling. It has a non-slip liner in the underside so it stays put on your shoulder. FWIW

I ordered one of these today from Midway, thanks for the input guys.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Originally Posted by Kimberman

Butler Creek Mountain sling. Light, nylon, good swivels, tough, and slip-resistant on the shoulder area.

I have several on rifles, and they work great and are very lightweight.

Exactly what I use as well. Love that sling!

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
You can get a cheap Uncle Mike's or equivalent synthetic sling at Walmart for <$15.

Here's the best I've found, have two for different swivel stud spacing:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1180/Product/QUICK_SET_LATIGO_reg__SLING

Pricey, but worth every penny.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Butler Creek Mountain sling. Have five which I switch around as needed on different rifles.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I used the Ultraflex rifle/shotgun sling this year during my Western South Dakota deer hunt. I loved it, would recommend to anybody whos doing alot of walking. I will be getting a couple more.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BC Mountain Sling.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Beargrease
Vero Vellini. German made. Not the cheapest, just the best. Have used a lot of the others mentioned until I tried these.

Midway USA - Vero Vellini

+1. It's what I use on all my riles. Cabela's had them on sale a while back and I bought 4 to add to the one I already had.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 13 invisible), 2,212 guests, and 674 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,668
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.