Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I don't know about you guys, but when I take a never-before-fired medium bore out the box and put 3 rounds in a 1.5" group at 100yds with untested factory ammo, well, I get a big silly grin on my face!

I was using PRVI Partizan 286gn ammo.

I cannot wait to see what this CZ will do with my tweaked handloads!

BTW, it's mounted with a Burris 1.5x7 Illumidot. Great scope (and that from a dye-hard Leupold fan)!

It will be my primary safari gun on my upcoming Safari!

Warm trails and blue skies!
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Pics????
Let us know how you fare with the 9.3 x 62 on your upcoming safari.
Is there anything you'd not use it on???

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I don't think I'd feel comfortable with a chest shot on a buf or a heart/lung shot on an Elephant, but I'd sure take a heart/lung shot on a buf (Nosler Partitions or Barnes TSX 186) and a brain shot on an ele (Woodleigh 320gn solids).
I feel very confident in this gun and I think hunting well and hunting success are to a large degree based on the confidence in your gun.
Now please take that with a grain of salt because I have not yet been to Africa and facing down a DG animal may make me think a bazooka was not enough gun!

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I really like mine too. My handloads helped accuracy just as you predicted. No blood on mine yet, but I'm guessing it will flatten a whitetail. I think the 9.3 is a great choice for your African trip. Hope you have a great safari and we will expect pics!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Your 9.3x62, loaded with the 286gr Barnes TSX, will do JUST FINE on a Cape Buff chest shot. See Dr. Kevin Robertsons comments in the latest Barnes Reloading manual #4. While you are on the page for 9.3x62, right accross from the good Dr's article is a photo of me with my SCI book Cape Buff smile

GREAT grab and addition there! If you send me a PM with your adddress, I will mail you a copy of my article from African Hunter Magazine on suggested modifications to the CZ series of rifles for dangerous game use. They are wonderful right from momma, but can be made better IMO, with a few upgrades. Might even throw in my DVD with my CZ in action against an Ele and a client wounded cape buff.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
BTW I have a Mcmillan Edge stock made for it if you want to save your pretty wood. I will sell it cheap.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am a big 9.3 X 62 fan. It was not my choice for elephant, nor should it be yours. Everything else is good. The 250 TSX makes it reliable on cape buffalo. Enjoy!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by safariman
Your 9.3x62, loaded with the 286gr Barnes TSX, will do JUST FINE on a Cape Buff chest shot. See Dr. Kevin Robertsons comments in the latest Barnes Reloading manual #4. While you are on the page for 9.3x62, right accross from the good Dr's article is a photo of me with my SCI book Cape Buff smile

GREAT grab and addition there! If you send me a PM with your adddress, I will mail you a copy of my article from African Hunter Magazine on suggested modifications to the CZ series of rifles for dangerous game use. They are wonderful right from momma, but can be made better IMO, with a few upgrades. Might even throw in my DVD with my CZ in action against an Ele and a client wounded cape buff.

My second last night of Safari in 2009 I was sitting around the fire with Kevin, and as it often does, talk got around to favourite chamberings. He asked me what I would take for buffalo next hunt. I opined that if I could afford a new rifle, I would like a 404 Jeffries, but that a 375 was the probable rifle. He surprised me by asking me if I had ever considered the 9.3x62. The man makes a very convincing argument for shootability and penetration. He is a definite heavy and slow proponent, but admitted the barnes tsx showed remarkable penetration characteristics. I had a complete penetration through the chest of a Gemsbok at 350 yds and both shoulders at 200 yds.

I have done a lot of research on the 9.3 and am very impressed with it. The rifles I have seen chambered are nice rifles (one CZ, one Tikka.) They have been around the same price, but I do like the control round feed of the CZ. I am undecided if a new 9.3 will go with me or a .375H&H. Knowing the 9.3 has enough is not the same as believing the .375 has. Crap sometimes runs in my veins now that I am older.

Randy formerly posting as medicman
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by safariman

Safariman,
That is most gracious of you and thanks for the tip on the TSX 286's.
PM Sent!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I took my FN Mauser/Lothar Walther barreled 9.3x62 to Africa in 2009 for Kudu and Eland. I felt grossly overguned the cartridge is that potent. Be sure of your backstop.

58 grains of 2208/Varget under a 286/285 grain projectile of your choice is the 'magic' recipe. You will read and hear more of that load the more you research.

Last edited by Tophet1; 11/17/10.
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have 2 CZ 9.3x62s and love the cartridge and the rifles. Both mine actually shoot well under an inch at 100. I've taken several bears, eland, and wildebeest with the new Federal 286-grain Swift A-Frame load and have been very happy. This September, I took the combination to Africa and took several animals, including a buffalo and hippo with it and was not as pleased.

I dropped the hippo with a pair of quick 286-grain Barnes solids (the new Federal load) but the buff did not go so well. My first shot destroyed the top half or 2/3 of both lungs but did not exit. The second, a solid, got the liver and a whole bunch of other stuff with a Texas heart shot. as it ran away. 40 minutes later, the bull charged me with amazing speed, especially considering the amount of damage those first 2 bullets did. My PH and I dropped it at 7 yards - his hit it between the eyes a split second before my shot, so mine hit it in the spine, which is where the head was when I pulled the trigger. Fortunately, my cameraman held his ground and the whole thing will be on Petersen's Hunting TV next year.

The 9.3x62 worked, and one animal is hardly enough to form a very solid opinion, but I won't use it on buff again. I've taken 7 with the .375 and 5 others with various .416s and the .470. All were one shot kills, and all seemed to out an instant hurting on the buff, while the one I shot with the 9.3 didn't look to affected by either of my first 2 shots. I know one buff is not enough to form an opinion that is valid enough for you to consider, but it was all I needed to see to know that the 9.3x62 isn't quite enough gun for me. The .375 is my personal minimum, but I prefer the .416 (Rem., Rigby, or WBY) for buff. I'll reserve my 9.3x for bear and big-bodied plains game.

Greg Rodriguez
Global Adventure Outfitters, Inc.
www.mbogo.net
(281) 494-4151
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sounds like a great story Greg, but you're going to upset the 9.3 "aficionados"! Good pucker factor smile
Who were you hunting with?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you had used the A-Frames on the buff, you'd be singing its praises. If you had used the 250 TSX, you would be zealot. It did give you a good story. (Hippo are quite large, you understand, maybe something with a lanyard might be better?)

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I did use the A-Frame on the buff. Federal has 2 new loads - a Barnes banded solid and a 286-grain A-Frame. The first shot was with the Swift.

Greg Rodriguez
www.mbogo.net
(281) 494-4151
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
GregR.....It sounds like to me, that this particular Buff was just NOT going to give up the ghost like you may have thought. I have a lawyer friend of mine who had to shoot his, using a .416 caliber 5 times and the PH shot it twice with his double gun. It was to enraged to know it was already dead I suppose. It was a very exciting time and he still gets all wound up explaning what went down on that Buff hunt.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mean buffalo. Best to leave those be. wink

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have only shot 13 myself, but I have been present when many more were taken by clients. After sifting through all the organs in skinning shed, I was amazed that the buff was still alive, much less in good enough shape to do what he did 40 minutes after the first shot destroyed its lungs. In fact, no one could believe it still charged so long after the first shot. I don't know about mean, but it was awfully tough.

Greg Rodriguez
www.mbogo.net
(281) 494-4151
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Glad to hear you and your PH came out on the winning side of the equation.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tonk
GregR.....It sounds like to me, that this particular Buff was just NOT going to give up the ghost like you may have thought. I have a lawyer friend of mine who had to shoot his, using a .416 caliber 5 times and the PH shot it twice with his double gun. It was to enraged to know it was already dead I suppose. It was a very exciting time and he still gets all wound up explaning what went down on that Buff hunt.

Classic, and true!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's good to see the 9.3x62mm regaining popularity. I've been a fan for awhile.

I had AHR build me one on a CZ550 receiver, and have taken it to Saskatchewan and Namibia. 250gr. TSX and 286gr. Partitions have taken numerous heads of game with authority.

Going back to Africa over the next couple years, and undoubtedly the 9.3x62 will be my companion. Still in a quandary though.... not sure if I'll stick with the 286gr. NP (shoots extremely well in my rifle) or dabble with the new 286gr. A-Frame.

Need to see how well the new Federal loaded 286gr. Barnes Banded Solids shoots in my rifle too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

414 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 43 invisible), 2,906 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,580
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.