Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
JKB Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Bought a new rifle and wanting to try a set, but sure been happy with the steel leupolds, redfields and burris tactical.

I like the modular design, but seem cheap.

Any thoughts here?

Mounting a Nikon MonarchGold 2.5-10x50 on a a-bolt Ti 300wsm.

BP-B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Why do they "seem cheap"?

Have you looked at them in person or in a photo?

They are high quality mounts...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I've seen a few of those mounts around the range, and they looked to be quite solid.

Dare I ask why put such a tank of a scope on a titanium action rifle?

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Like them a lot, would never consider them cheap or cheap looking. I find them to do as advertised, excellent rig and my current first choice on everything I can use them on.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I have about 6 rifles wearing DNZ mounts. Pretty good.

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I bought one and sent it back. It was solid, but looked bulky and actually was pretty heavy for an aluminum mount.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Definately not "cheap" as far as quality.

I do think they are a pretty good value price wise though. I like them.

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mathman

Dare I ask why put such a tank of a scope on a titanium action rifle?

He might be from Alabama. I had never seen so many 50 and 56mm scopes on model sevens and Marlins until I moved up here. crazy

Check out the hubble on the model 7

[Linked Image]

Take your kids hunting, instead of hunting your kids.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I put some DNZ mounts on Tikka I used to have. They are tough. I honestly think the DNZ or Talley lightweights are stronger than the conventional steel rings since they do not have a separate base.

But I prefer the Talleys. While I'm sure the DNZ are tough as nails, the Talleys are much stronger than needed, look nicer in my opinion, and are much lighter.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
They are very strong and reilable mounts, have used them on mny rifles, they are the only mounts my local gunsmith uses for the long range rifles he builds.

Ted
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JMR40
I put some DNZ mounts on Tikka I used to have. They are tough. I honestly think the DNZ or Talley lightweights are stronger than the conventional steel rings since they do not have a separate base.

But I prefer the Talleys. While I'm sure the DNZ are tough as nails, the Talleys are much stronger than needed, look nicer in my opinion, and are much lighter.

Not true on the talleys! I had a pair of them on a Tikka 25/06 and they BROKE after 2 weeks. Talley did replace them and also sent me a pre paid box to ship the broken ones back to them. They wanted to inspect them.

[Linked Image]

I have a couple sets of DNZ's and no problems!

Disabled American Veteran. U.S. Army 2000 - 2007 Proud to have served.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Nice.. Farmer tight?

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Calvin:
Don't knock the farmers, they handle more mechanics than most here ever will.
I like the Dednutz, simple full rigid mount, well made, and they
will never break like that last photo.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Torgue is 25inlbs. I'm a aviation mechanic, I have a few torque wrenches in my tool box.

Disabled American Veteran. U.S. Army 2000 - 2007 Proud to have served.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Good to hear from a wrench turner, you are well qualifed to reply.
I have the Dednutz, and have moved the mount to my new 700, these
are well made, no ring marks on the scope, well recommended here.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

They(Talleys) look a little nicer but the weight diff is a non factor. The DNZ's are 2x as strong, better alloy that is properly treated and straighter. I stopped using Talleys a few years back and have never looked back.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by lovesomeshootin

Not true on the talleys! I had a pair of them on a Tikka 25/06 and they BROKE after 2 weeks. Talley did replace them and also sent me a pre paid box to ship the broken ones back to them. They wanted to inspect them.

[Linked Image]

I have a couple sets of DNZ's and no problems!

I have seen a lot of photos of cracked Talley bases here on the fire. I wonder if the material they are buying is properly treated prior to machining or they are getting bad batches of material from suppliers. Aluminum should not fatigue like it did in that photo in such a short time period. my biggest beef with Talleys is they pretty much all have to be lapped not so with the DNZ's

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In reference to the Hubble on the Model 7....:)

Big Objectives+High Magnification+Very Little use of Binos=Hunting in the Southeast.

99% of Hunting here is from elevated stands or pop up ground blinds in very heavy cover. I see photos on here where members out West reference cover and it's not even close to what we hunt and this includes the NW.

Deer hunting is a last and first light proposition. I prefer the FXIII 6x42 HD but on my lease I see lots of 50's and some 56's and yes they will plop them down onto Ti's,MR's,Montanas etc...figuring that if they can save some weight in the rifle....why not?

Binos are NOT a standard hunting accessory here...most game is checked on the ground or through a scope....one reason most won't hunt public land here. Another is the 2-5 second time you have to decide aim and shoot......not saying I agree with how it is but that is fact.

Robert

Bruz
"You can't scare me.........I have kids"

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
56mm scopes are a common occurance around here at hunting camps, my own main deer rifle wears a 2.5x10x56 swarovski. For all those that snicker at the "hubble", I'm a cheapskate and trust me, I would not have spent the money for it unless it gave a legitimate advantage. Given the time that the truly big ones come out you aren't going to kill many big deer around here prancing around the woods with a 2.5x8x36 leupold. I know, I have a couple of them also. You'll kill deer, but the truly trophy class animals that I want typically only show themselves at last light. I'll disagree with the previous poster on the binocular statement though, everyone I hunt with uses high quality binos. Mine are swarovski slc's and several other guys in my camp use the same ones, a couple use high end Nikons, and there are a couple of pairs of Kahles.

Everything we use is geared towards what'll work during the few minutes of last light, that's when the big ones move around here. It's very, very different hunting than what the western guys are used to when they're hiking the canyons and mountains, therefore the optics needs are vastly different. There's a reason for the "Hubbles", the same reason the germans invented them.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I hunt a timber lease in NW Louisiana, and I know all about first and last light. Under those conditions I've found a quality 6x42 works quite well.

My bino is a Meostar 8x42, and I'm very happy with it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
729 members (007FJ, 09wingates, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 204guy, 10Glocks, 69 invisible), 2,923 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,774
Posts18,401,552
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.