24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A local store has the Taurus 609B 9mm compact handgun on sale tomorrow for what appears to be a good price, and I was wondering what the opinions were of those.

BP-B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Not too many Taurus fans, like the old joke about sleeping with fat girls. I have several and have had several others and have never had a lick of problems with any of them. Currently I have an 840 which is most similar and it functions and shoots very well. No experience with the 609B though.

NRA Life Member
K
K
I have owned several Taurus Revolvers over the past 15 years. Before you disregard these as low quality, you should shoot them; especially their Raging Bull models. However, I too, was skeptical of the quality of their semi-autos... especially after reading all of the negative comments on different websites. I bought the Academy Black Friday Special Taurus PT101-P 40 S&W last year, a 16 shot Beretta clone for $299. A superb performer, I have run at least 500 rounds through it without a singe malfunction. I should have bought two.
I went to Academy this AM and bought two of the Taurus 609B models for $289 each. Their website states that the regular price is $499. There is no way in the world I would pay $499 for this handgun when you can get a SA XDm for about $50 more. But at $289, it may be a bargain. The 609 has a lot of packing grease in the slide. I am going to strip and clean, then re-lube before firing them. The only thing I don't like is the trigger. I have several semi-autos, some single action (Colt 1911), some Double action only (Glock's safe action), and a couple of real double actions (S&W 39, Taurus PT101-P). The double actions have a long travel trigger pull on the first shot, and then go to a single action, light short pull on subsequent shots when the recoil cocks the pistol. This Taurus 609B is different from anything I have. It appears that you can fire first shot from DA, subsequent shots still have a long travel, but with no resistance until you use up almost all travel before it fires the striker. When I cock the external hammers on my S&W 39 and Taurus PT101, the trigger physically moves to the rear, just like a DA revolver. When I rack the slide, i.e., cock the 609B, the trigger does not move at all. I am not saying bad, just different from what I am used to. Please note, the 609 does have an external thumb safety lever, with a red dot to indicate fire position. I will try to post back after we fire these weapons.

Actually I do not think there is a 609B, that is just something that Academy was probably calling it, the PT 609 Pro 9mm Parabellum aka Luger is the International version of our 609 TI-13, and used by many police departments in other countries. I think this is your firearm here. If so, you got a steal but I am sure Academy bought a few Lots of them that were in the Brazilian Manufacturing Warehouse at a discounted price. With the global economy still in the tank, lots of countries are not buying replacement pistols every year, just on a as needed basis. The 609 Pro is the most reliable compact 9mm that Taurus has made since its Baretta and Smith-Wesson affiliated days. You might want to clean it really good though before firing it, I bet it is loaded with cosmoline or some other long term packing grease internally. Academy probably bought a bunch of them from Taurus just like they did the Rossi 38 Special a few years back. I think Academy people claim the Rossi was a Academy Sports only firearm, but not true, they were the only ones in USA who might have retailed them in large quantities and had them in bulk but they certainly were not special made for Academy only by any means. Is this it? http://www.taurusarmas.com.br/pisto...icia-forcasarmadas-colecionador-atirador

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the input. I didn't get one, but your explanation does make sense. I had suspected the gun was a special run or something similar after I couldn't find that exact model on Taurus' website.

IC B2

K
K
Solomon: I checked the slide; it is marked PT 609 Pro. You are correct; I could find no 609B designation anywhere on the box, pistol or the owner's manual. Funny thing about the owner's manual... I couldn't even find any reference to the 609 whatsoever. It shows exploded drawings of several pistols including the 24/7 and the PT 111 series, but no 609s. After I couldn't find it on the Taurus USA website, I searched for other references and found several YouTube videos of Spanish speaking military/police types firing this weapon.
I will certainly clean it well; the grease seems to be a cosmoline type of preservative.
For all of you folks that missed out, Academy ran the Beretta 40 caliber clone sale at least three times after Black Friday last year. That is when I picked mine up. You can check their salespaper ads on their website.

K
K
I checked out the link. This is the pistol that I purchased (two to be exact). My Spanish is weak, it has a Tenifer finish and the description seems to say single and double action. Solomon, is this some type of different trigger mechansim? It is different from anything I have.

Kajan

It is a SA/DA which is the same as I think their 24/7 operates. One of the neat things about it is if a round doesn't fire on first pull you can just squeeze the trigger again without doing anything else to get a second strike from the firing pin. Being a SA/DA, you may find that your first trigger pull will be a slightly heavier weight than the others, or at least it was in the old Smith Wesson 4506 which is legendary. Like I said, the 609 pro is probably the most reliable 9mm semi auto handgun Taurus makes and is highly loved overseas. I am personally a Kimber Man but if your handgun looks like the one in the link, you got a great buy. As for a manual, I suspect if you download the 609TI Manual it would be more than good enough, and in English.

X
X
I also purchased the Taurus 609B from Academy when they put it on sale over the Holidays. The price was the main reason I choose this handgun as an additional compact to have around. I agree this is another version of the 609 modes which the folks at Academy did not know anything about it is not Titanium. The gun is now priced the same as the bargain price over the Holiday. My takeaway on this pistol. Size and capacity are great. Out of the box this thing could be buried as it had so much grease covering it, so disassembly and cleaning were a must for dependable use. At the range I tested with various ammunition. Firing from 25 feet at a full silhouette target, I thought I may have loaded in blanks, moving to only 20 feet rounds did group very low and left. It did not seem to get much better after firing a couple of magazines I adjusted my hold several time to keep from contacting the mag release during firing which caused the mag to release. This tends to be a problem for me as I can hardly grab this weapon with releasing the magazine. I was glad I brought along something that I could hit the target with keeping me sane. I adjusted my aim to hit what was aimed at and finally the sites so I could hit a paper plate at 20' with some comfort. Cleaning after the outing I attempted to investigate the release system and eventually concluding it had to be sent back to Taurus for service. After their service which was a quick turnaround, where they replacing the system, the problem remained the same. The effective range <20 feet, reliability low, I will begetting rid of it as I do not find it good for me.

Last edited by XRTony; 02/20/11.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
656 members (1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 72 invisible), 2,946 guests, and 1,389 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,658
Posts18,399,290
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.