Dang man fantastic bucks!

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by TOBYJOETRUBY
Originally Posted by Allen917
Congrats on the bucks! When I was a young man, there were very few mule deer bucks out in the sand hills, which also happens to be the worlds largest oak forest. (Yeah! Really!) That started changing around 1970 thanks to the efforts of Ladd Gordon the last non political professional to head the NMDGF. Now there are lots of good Deer out there.

A couple of thing though! Keep your dumb a$$ of the pump jacks. The walking beam of a pump jack is a very dangerous place to be for a number of reasons including automatic starts to poisonous gas. That is also true of getting up on the oil tanks. The decks on the tanks may be severely corroded, and if you fall through, you cannot swim in oil, you cannot breathe the fumes, and it is potentially very explosive. The equipment is not yours! STAY OFF and LIVE.

I like to hunt any of the caprock country and there are lots of good high points to glass from, but out near Elida or Ft. Sumner I usually set up the spotting scope on the roof of the pickup. It really is great hunting.

I dont take to kindly to being called a Dumb AZZ. For your information, the pump that I found this buck off of, was non working, and had not been working for several years. In fact, the actual pump jack that I crawled up on, was not even in the ground. It was just setting there, with nothing going in the ground. If you dont know what is going on, mind your own damn business. I have lived and hunted around oil fields most of my life, and know better then to do what you are accusing me of doing, and damn sure know better then to do any shooting off of the oil tanks.
Wow, another internet wizard, that knows everything.

Toby Joe

Toby, it is very possible that I once operated that pumping unit you think is so safe to be on. Or I could have been the one that assemblied it on that location. Or in latter years, I could have been the one that purchased it. Eastern New Mexico is where I grew up. Two guys died during my high school years climbing around on pumpjacks. One was rodeoing on the horsehead and fell getting crushed by the weights. The other apperently fell when the ladder gave way. In my 30 years of working the oil fields, I've had the misfortune to know some more young men that died being dumba$$ around pumping units. I'm sure they thought they were being safe too.

The fact remains, that even if the pumping unit is non-operational and the weights chained, you were still tresspassing on equipment that wasn't yours. It's a very dumb thing to do! And oh yes, I have had to run a guy off that was shooting coyote from the top of one of my tank batteries. One with a high H2S.

I still like your buck though, good job on that!

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Allen917

Toby, it is very possible that I once operated that pumping unit you think is so safe to be on. Or I could have been the one that assemblied it on that location. Or in latter years, I could have been the one that purchased it. Eastern New Mexico is where I grew up. Two guys died during my high school years climbing around on pumpjacks. One was rodeoing on the horsehead and fell getting crushed by the weights. The other apperently fell when the ladder gave way. In my 30 years of working the oil fields, I've had the misfortune to know some more young men that died being dumba$$ around pumping units. I'm sure they thought they were being safe too.

The fact remains, that even if the pumping unit is non-operational and the weights chained, you were still tresspassing on equipment that wasn't yours. It's a very dumb thing to do! And oh yes, I have had to run a guy off that was shooting coyote from the top of one of my tank batteries. One with a high H2S.

I still like your buck though, good job on that!

I knew a couple guys in high school that died while operating motor vehicles. I also know a guy that was paralized after a motorcyle accident. One time a friend of a friend of mine tripped on a curb while walking down the street.

Seriously, who called the oil field police? This guy is a buzz kill!. There are risks in everything we do

I climb up on pump jacks and tanks on my families ground all the time to glass and I double freaking dog dare somebody to try and scold me for it. In all the years of hunting there not one oil field worker has said anything to me. I'd LOVE to see somebody try and tell my grandfather to get down while he's up there looking for cattle, that would be a riot!

Drummond

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by huntsonora
[quote=Allen917]
I knew a couple guys in high school that died while operating motor vehicles. I also know a guy that was paralized after a motorcyle accident. One time a friend of a friend of mine tripped on a curb while walking down the street.

Seriously, who called the oil field police? This guy is a buzz kill!. There are risks in everything we do

I climb up on pump jacks and tanks on my families ground all the time to glass and I double freaking dog dare somebody to try and scold me for it. In all the years of hunting there not one oil field worker has said anything to me. I'd LOVE to see somebody try and tell my grandfather to get down while he's up there looking for cattle, that would be a riot!

Drummond

Ain't that the truth? Giving TobyJoe lessons on the finer parts of hunting in the oil fields is like me giving Emeril cooking lessons.....give me a freaking break. I have and do use tank batteries, etc to my advantage every chance I get, and, like you have never had a pumper, etc say a word about it.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
WoW! You Southwest Texas/NM guys are a tough lot! I love it! Men being men! Toby Joe...when we hook up piggy hunting will I be doing any of these crazy guy things?????

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by fatjack34
Toby Joe...when we hook up piggy hunting will I be doing any of these crazy guy things?????

Y'all should run with scissors and post pics grin

Drum

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Dang right we will do whatever it takes to smoke some pigs. We might even have to crawl up on a tank battery. But I will be sure and take my helmet and pads just in case I fall my DUMB AZZ off of the latter. I will also try my damdest not to stick myself with a knife while gutting said pigs, or stub my toe and fall down while my DUMB AZZ is walking.

All these risks involved, I dont know if I should even leave the house anymore. Its just too dangerous out there.

Toby Joe

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
maybe we can climb on some to glass elk this weekend smile

FJB
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Might have to crawl up on the top of the truck. Oh chit, that may be to dangerous. We dont have no oil pumps on NM ranch. If I did, I wouldnt be guiding, I would be getting guided. lol

Toby Joe

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
well chit there goes my shot at being killed in an oil field

FJB
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rockchucker
well chit there goes my shot at being killed in an oil field

Find and kill your Elk with a knife, she may just drag you all the way to a oil field, then you can breath some H2S.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
TJT...maybe, just maybe we can climb a windmill, with a chambered round, and spit chew juice into the damn wind!...Naaah! Might go blind from blow-back and then fall out the windmill onto a pump jack breaking our dumb azzz's....no azzz to crap out of and no eye to see it with...what a bunch of sorry sumbitches we would be!

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

384 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 47 invisible), 2,582 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,714
Posts18,457,001
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.