Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Ranch13 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Messing with the paper patch mould. Set it down to an inch and a tenth as specified by the Sharps catalog. Come up with a bullet right on 400 gs from 20-1 might need to let it out a touch to make the 420.
But anyways I took 10 of those bullets patched them with the paper mill 9lb. and then proceeded to dip them in a pan of one of Bullshops new recipes.. I should of let them set a bit longer before running them thru the lee size die. Anyway this morning I pulled the bullets out of 10 of my offhand loads and seated those lubed patched bullets in the case.
Firing at the 270 yd gong shown some accuracy promise, but I think I had two things working against me. The cases were of course expanded to hold the .457 greasers, and if I think letting those patched bullets cure a bit longer may have been helpful.
I can also for see a problem keeping those from getting dirt contaminated, altho maybe a longer cure would prevent that.
But in the end I was able to load and fire all 10 rounds with no tubing or wiping. This could possibly be the trick to shooting an entire buffalo gong match with all patched bullets.
Definetly think some more piddledinking with this is in order.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
BP-B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Dip them in a pan of what? Why?

DON"T DO THAT!

You are shooting blackpowder right? And sizing to what diameter?

For which caliber?

Wiping or blowing between shots?

I bet your barrel is pretty well leaded now.

Did you pick up any patch fragments? What did they look like?

What is your intended goal?

Brent

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Ranch13 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BrentD
Dip them in a pan of what? New recipe of Bullshops Nasa built with ozokerite Why? Cuz I wanted to

DON"T DO THAT! To late already did, planning to try it again

You are shooting blackpowder right? Yup 72 grs Goex cartridge And sizing to what diameter? .450 patched

For which caliber? 45-70

Wiping or blowing between shots? Nope

I bet your barrel is pretty well leaded now. Nope

Did you pick up any patch fragments? Nope didn't pick any up twas just chunks of confetti blowing in the wind didn't feel like chasing them down What did they look like?

What is your intended goal? Mostly just to see what happened, if there was any chance of accuracy, and would there be any possibility of using this for an offhand load at a gong match without having to wipe between shots, Maybe something that would extend out to a hunting load. Sort of an adaptation of Remingtons instructions to use Sperm oil on the patch circa 1875

Brent

Last edited by Ranch13; 12/01/10.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I never heard of greasing a paper patch. the patch works like a jacketed bullet and you woulden't grease them. the paper keeps it from leading, also by sizing you are defeating the purpose of moulding your own, which is to have a bullet slightly larger than the bore for a good seal.

I paper patched 30-06 bullets and had no problem at all with leading or accurcy.(no grease) mv 2500 fps. grin
patched 30-06 45-70 50-70

Last edited by Hubert; 12/02/10.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hubert, lubing a paper patch is a REAL good idea when you have very high humidity or rain or even snow. Paper doesn't fare well with those. Lubing protects the patch. Paper is an abrasive too. My original Sharps has a bright shiny bore after 133 years. It shot paper patched ammo. Lubing would slow the abrasion somewhat. Not a bad thing.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
IC B2

Ranch13 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hubert
I never heard of greasing a paper patch. the patch works like a jacketed bullet and you woulden't grease them. the paper keeps it from leading, also by sizing you are defeating the purpose of moulding your own, which is to have a bullet slightly larger than the bore for a good seal.

I paper patched 30-06 bullets and had no problem at all with leading or accurcy.(no grease) mv 2500 fps. grin
patched 30-06 45-70 50-70

Actually there's plenty of mention of greasing the paper patch in what are now historical records. Easiest to find is in the reloading instructions within the Remington 1875 catalog.
You can fill volumes with the discussion amongst shooters whether to patch to bore or groove, I fall in the patch to bore size clan...
Running the patched bullet thru a sizer such as the Lee pushthru sizers helps to assure the proper diameter, there are several bpcr shooters doing this for match loads. In this case it also was really handy to shave the excess lube from bullet.
Can't for the life of me figure why anybody would want to paper patch a modern highvelocity smokeless cartridge like the 06 but diversity is what makes the world go around I spoze.

www.historicshooting.com
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I patched the 30-06 because I want to be able to make my own bullets. I think we may not be able to buy bullets in the future. I may not live that long but we never know. grin

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Ranch13: is the 1875 Remington catalogue you referred to in your above post on 12/2 @ 6:26AM?:

www.cornellpubs.com/old-guns/item_desc.php?item_id=2039

The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Ranch13 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Ray yes, it is, that's where I got it as a matter of fact. The funny thing about it is they spent more time going on about their double barrel shotguns than they did the rifles.
Altho there is a pretty good discussion of shooting Creedmoor with the Remington special cartridge (44-90)
They also have the 1869 Wimbleton rules in there. If "creedmoor" matches were ran more along those rules than they are now I think they'ld be a lot more fun....

www.historicshooting.com
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
On bore sized PP take 'em up to say .451" and run 'em through a Fred Cornell swage down at .450"! Works well...won't ruin the patch!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
708 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 2,704 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,682
Posts18,399,706
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.