Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Probably was knock off at some point......however,

When growing up my father mother and three brothers always tried to sight in their own rife each year the weekend before the opener.....even if the rifles had been sighted in before and not used. Wanted to make sure everything was right before the season started. Some years life would intrude and some couldn't make it to the range for that pre-weekend shooting. When that happened my father or I would shoot their rifle a few rounds to check zero and correct any problems.....all except my second brother's.

Don't know if it was the way he held the rifle when shooting or the fact that he wore glasses thick as coke bottle bottoms (20/200 vision uncorrected), but for some reson no one else could sight in his rifle except him. If my father or I shot anyone else's rifle it would hit within 1/2" of where it did when they fired it at 100 yards. Maybe not "perfect" but close enough to know the sights were still OK.

When we fired my brother's rifle the bullets would hit some 4" low and 4" to the side....AT 25 YARDS!!! If he couldn't be there to shoot, we quickly learned to assume it was still sighted in and not make adjustments because if we DID adjust it....it damn sure would be off then (for him).

If Sarah was shooting someone else's rifle this could have played a part in the zero problems. I do like the idea that the show doesn't always appear "perfect" but also shows the problems that happen sometimes in real life.

I'd much rather see a few embarassing moments and "warts" than to try to believe that no one EVER makes a mistake in the field, and ALWAYS kills a record-book anumal. A lot of other outdoors shows could learn from watching this on in that respect.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
She would have been well served with a straight 6x

She shot a smallish cow. That's an eatin' critter

Last edited by crosshair; 12/05/10.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like how she downed it with one shot from the savage

She needs some practice with the other rifle though

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
If I had to guess, it'd be someone on the set messed with her scope with promises of wealth to make her look stupid.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
When Chuck was getting his guns together for the hunt he said he took the "varmint rifle" for Sarah, it was the model 70 she missed with. Any idea what caliber she was shooting? There didn't seem to be any recoil when Sarah or Chuck shot the rifle.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
nada to hang head over on shooting a rifle that's had it's scope knocked off zero.

only criticism I have of the gig, is she seemed a mite early to have finger inside of the trigger guard for my liking, specially having been told "safety's off, it's ready to go"

but in fairness, as much as I try and practice good gun handling techniques I'm sure if I was videoed during an entire hunt, I could catch myself doing something I don't aspire to.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I just watched it, and that was pretty cool. Her dad is still giving her a hand, even though she's grown. I'm sure that will tear the liberals up.

I bet the producers of that show knocked that messed with the scope to make it more dramatic.

Last edited by Calvin; 12/06/10.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That footage has in just a few minutes undergone more nit-picking here than the Zapruder film!

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
That's funny

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
kudos to TLC for not editing the kill

I hope every American watches this show
to make their mind up, one way or the other on Sarah.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RipSnort
Maybe the four missed shots had something to do with Palin's dad (wearing a backpack) falling on the rifle while trying to get down a steep river bank. Using the rifle as a walking staff on the tundra couldn't be conducive to fine accuracy either. I'm wondering why it took so long to go to the other rifle......

But, in the end, meat in the freezer.

RS

Agreed. Her Pops took a pretty good tumble down a cut bank and appeared to land right on the rifle. When he righted himself he proceeded to use the rifle as a walking stick to descend the rest of the bank.

Of course it's possible that her Pop just assumed the gun was still zeroed when he pulled it from the gun cabinet and didn't fire it before hauling it North a thousand miles to hunt with it.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Calvin
I just watched it, and that was pretty cool. Her dad is still giving her a hand, even though she's grown. I'm sure that will tear the liberals up.

I bet the producers of that show knocked that messed with the scope to make it more dramatic.

I tried shooting my grandsons deer rifle and shot 12 inches hi at 50 yds.

you can't sight in a rifle for anyone else to shoot and expect much. they must try it before going hunting. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In-laws drove in from Oklahoma and the kids came over to visit, we watched the show and all agreed that Sarah is about as down home, girl next door as one can get.....this show is helping her greatly.

And you KNOW she's driving the leftists mad!

All American

All the time
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i want her to have my baby !!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Stan V
� And you KNOW she's driving the leftists mad!

Not to mention a bunch here who aren't all that far to the Left.

Is there anyone who's neutral or moderate about Mrs Palin?

"Good enough" isn't.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've bt/dt with a rifle that had been knocked off of zero..

Had same this past Jan.... wife was on me for bad shooting, but after the 3rd shot I told her the rifle has to be about close to 10 inches left for some reason....

Shot it on target... 8 inches left.

Stuff happens.

Had it many years ago... gut shot a cull buck.... second shot, guts again while my wife is spotting... so third I hold OFF the deer the correct direction and dump him.... that was a SOB at our ranch guiding that was pissed off at me and moved my scope but I digress

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Chuck Heath appears to be a quintessential hunter but not a rifle loony.

I wonder whether he handloads or knows all that much about rifles and what we here would consider the basic points of their care and feeding.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Leanwolf

So have I. It happens.

L.W.

That makes three of us. Also why I mostly hunted close cover with open sights afterward.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Leanwolf

So have I. It happens.

L.W.

I think anyone who's done any hunting with a scoped rifle has had this happen. In cases like this, I'm glad when it results in clean misses rather than dirty wounds!

Coulda been gut-shots. Wouldn't that have been fun?

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In my experience, the majority of hunters are just that. They'll shoot a few rounds at the range (many at only one distance), and then proceed to kill more game than you can imagine.

Most don't know the difference (nor do they care)'bout feed-type. Bedded actions, free floated barrels, or trigger pull probably means nothing to 'em. Twist rates, and even bullet construction often get little attention either.

They spend their time chasing game, learning it's habbits, and areas. When they locate their quarry, they don't care if the rifle is short, or long action. Wood, or synthetic matters little. Factory ammunition is the norm (and many don't have a notion 'bout velocity, or bullet construction). What most hunters want, is a dead animal, and the only way to achieve that is to spend their time hunting - not on riflery.

Most of the folks I've hunted with fit the above description (at first glance, so do the folks in the video). I've not had the chance to hunt with a 'fire member (yet), but hunting with the average poster here would be a unique experience from my perspective - hunters, who are riflemen.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1lesfox, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 54 invisible), 2,921 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,355
Posts18,468,899
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.