Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 54 1 2 3 4 5 53 54
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Not saying its the best in the world, but this is what I'd reach for...7 1/2 pound GAP .308 with a 10X PMII.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
eh-
looks like only one rifle there
i thought you had lots a rifles--all kinds.

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Neither my 300 shamu or 7mm shamu have ever failed me and I sure like toting a <7 lb rifle around!!!

Crap Greenhorn -- I had to look up penectomy -- you're killin' me!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bugs_shoots_hi_vel
eh-
looks like only one rifle there
i thought you had lots a rifles--all kinds.

Thats funny!.....Jerry?

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
It dropped a dandy Gila Bull like a stone at over 800 yards,in the hour necessary to get to him across that canyon,the bull recovered enough to get up.

I never saw him again,he went off public ground and it was over.

There 'ya go right there.That about say's it all.It can also happen at shorter ranges but your not going to have many step up to the plate and talk about there failures shooting way past where they should be.

Anyone that hasn't seen a Bull get back up hasn't Elk hunted long.

Jayco

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Given the rifles I have, probably my .300 Win Mag with 180g North Fork or MRX bullets.

The 7mm RM with 160g North Forks wouldn't give me any heartburn.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I would grab my 338RUM and do a heck of a lot more practicing with it. Currently slinging 210 scirrocos, but those may go to 210 or 225 TTSX's next time around. I would be limited to 400 if all was perfect at this time. Hopefully I could get that closer to 500 or so with more practice.

If I could get driven around, the old 7mag might get the nod for nostalgic purposes. but it weighs about 10# and don't want to lug it around.

Salmonhead
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
we don't allow no huntin round here, too many cattle, sheep, horses, buffalo....
yes, its me. been wondering how you've been doing. i don't usually do this, but saw a post when i searched your name, and it led me here.
miss all our old times--i still talk to savage every so often.
not many of us left. talked with beyl a couple months ago for a few hours--he's a great guy from way back. he told me about your stag.
not many experienced shooters/handloaders around here, so at times i miss dat little bloodthirsy weazel...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
John,

Drawing from what I have, and have seen perform, it would be one of two rifles depending on conditions. IE, are we talking demanding, physical, mountain hunting or does this lottery include getting ATV'd to within a mile of where I'm hunting <grin>.

No quads on the rez, if you have a tag that you can kill a 380 bull, you'll have paid to have it retrieved. It's during the rut and shots will be close if desired.

Kent

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
338 Win. Mag.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by TangoKilo
Ill vote for 7X57 Ackley shooting 150Gr TTSX.

[Linked Image]

Super looking rifle, TangoKilo! I'll pick my 7X57 also, and a 139gr. GMX!

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One thing that I forgot to say, to me....it's more about the rifle and my level of intimacy with it than it is with the round.

I want to be using a rig that I am very comfy with and can kill on demand to 700 with it.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
B-29. It flips 'em and guts 'em to 1000 yards.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
John,

Drawing from what I have, and have seen perform, it would be one of two rifles depending on conditions. IE, are we talking demanding, physical, mountain hunting or does this lottery include getting ATV'd to within a mile of where I'm hunting <grin>.

No quads on the rez, if you have a tag that you can kill a 380 bull, you'll have paid to have it retrieved. It's during the rut and shots will be close if desired.

Kent

I'm liking this more and more! This is an over the counter tag, right? grin

Actually it sounds suspiciously like a canned hunt. To be honest big horns aren't that big a deal to me. I'm in it for an honest challenge and good meat. I'd take my public-land raghorn over a canned-hunt Booner any day.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'd probably use my Brno 21h 7x64. Or maybe my Sako carbine in 30-06. And I'd limit my shots to less than 300 yds. Anything farther than that is just shooting, not hunting - to me anyway.
About angle - I don't shoot at animals going away from me any more. And I seldom shoot at animals facing directly towards me - unless I'm very, very sure of the shot.
Interesting how the presence of "Really BIG" animals often makes people forget basic principles - like making sure of a clean kill. With enough technology a "hunter" can overcome just about any limitation. To me hunting is more about hunting skills than shooting technology.
So, I'd call 'em in close and shoot 'em where it counts. Flame away!

Last edited by castnblast; 12/08/10.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I want to be using a rig that I am very comfy with and can kill on demand to 700 with it.

Hunting works also.Bow hunters are some of the most successful hunters I have seen and I even pull a string now and then.

Jayco

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well there is certainty more than one �Rez� in the southwest that holds outsized bulls and having just come back from �The Hick� I can vouch for the fact that a long shot could present its self. (Wasn�t hunting just had breakfast in Dulce)

The point of my pointless post is what would you take when the hunt was going to be demanding and you really wanted to up your odds of scoring when the chance arrived.

This could just as easy be a public land hunt and you are carrying what you consider to be the absolute best elk rifle/cartridge.

So quit hedging your bets and pick one. See Mule Deer�s post as an example. No mincing words just right to the point. ( I will have to research this B-29. Sounds awesome!!)

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The point of my pointless post

I was wondering about that....In Idaho you hunt 'em all at the same time so you better pick a rig and bullet that works for all the critters,not just Elk.

Short story for you John.....I lived next to a Seal Team Sniper in North Idaho,actually,Athol.He had 67 confirmed kills..I watched him reload and go through his mind game and one day,like you have mentioned to another,it was a shooting match..

I said Okay as long as we use your rifle/your ammo randomly picked out of a 20 round box with three extra for me to get used to his trigger...

Never happened.

Hunting is a challenge and should remain just that

Jayco.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I'd bring my M70 300 H&H/legend loaded with 180 TTSX
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I might take my new Biesen 7x57, 150 NP's over some Rl 19, once BobinNH and I are done wringing it out. cool Even though my 7RM with 160's or 175's may be a better choice. grin

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member
Page 3 of 54 1 2 3 4 5 53 54

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

382 members (1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 160user, 1lesfox, 163bc, 12344mag, 37 invisible), 2,081 guests, and 1,006 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,493
Posts18,452,340
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.