Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What about using UV free detergent?

Time spent hunting is not deducted from one's lifetime.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
dont matter, dont look like a person standing there and they dont pay you much attention, if anything they will walk closer to see just what you are.....great eyesight but dumb as a rock and curious as hell.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
agree with rattler...

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
+1

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't think they are really dumb, they just think they can out run bullets.

Old bucks/herds that have been shot at get fairly wily.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Just don't use blue tape on the muzzle of your rifle. They can see that for miles, or so I've been told. wink

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
could be Sam........but it aint that hard to get most of them to start thinking "WTF is that? i better go get a closer look....."

my wife thought i was full of chit when i told her we could play cow and just walk up on some......started at over 500 yards away ended at 200, the whole time walking in their view.....whole time she kept mumbling "I cant [bleep] believe they are just standing there looking at us?!?!" grin

Last edited by rattler; 12/09/10.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pronghorn must not see too well, as there is better success on them than any other big game animal in Oregon. When one does not stand out structually, I've had them walk by at 20 ft of so while wearing all kinds of blue and orange.

Sitting in the shade makes one almost invisible. Appearing in the skyline though, is the kiss of death.

Last edited by 1minute; 12/09/10.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i think the success rate comes from the fact they dont try to hide......and as i understand it the big bucks tend to be younger than say a big, wise, old whitetail or mule deer.....

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Opening morning I found a herd about 2.4 miles from the lookout.
About 30 head in sight so I walked over. They were strung out grazing when I got close, couldn't see the whole herd and one little buck spotted me and boogied the whole herd.
They hauled ass almost 1 mile away(huge coulee), circled and came back to within' 100 yards.

Pretty neat.

Later that same morning two lone bucks tried to act like whitetails.

Goofy critters.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
definitely goofy, and my favorite critter to chase......love hunting the lil bastards grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rattler
definitely goofy, and my favorite critter to chase......love hunting the lil bastards grin

Me too...had antelope backstrap for supper tonight!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
So no matter what you wear if you have 4 legs or appear broken up they do not run.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SamOlson

True that,

Mark

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have read that they can see the color blue. But I agree they see movement at 1 mile easily. Maybe not color so much, but movement yes.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
They are fun to hunt too...

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by 1minute
Pronghorn must not see too well, as there is better success on them than any other big game animal in Oregon.

Actually, their eyesight is supposedly the equivalent of 8X binos, so it's not any lack of vision that gets them in trouble. Sometimes it's their curiosity. Sometimes it's their intense focus on guarding their harems. If the gals don't spook, your odds of closing the distance go up dramatically. And sometimes they just let their guard down, confident that their primary defenses -- vision and speed -- will get them out of a jam. But I agree they can be super goofy at times, and apart from being a classic spot-and-stalk animal, that makes them a helluva lot of fun to hunt.

You want goofy? This one was fasinated by my long camera lens. He started to leave four or five times, but kept coming back to give me the retarded puppy staredown.

[Linked Image]

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Like any other animal, they're meat. The only real advantage any of them has is they understand that.

I don't honestly believe any animal is truly smart. They are wily and they do learn and remember, but that's about the extent of it. I think they also understand their ability to blend in to their surroundings. (or in the case of some, to stand out -- with bright colors as a warning to most every other critter they encounter) The rest is simply natures instinct for survival. Add instinct to the abilities to learn and remember and some critters can be quite a challenge to successfully hunt. Including those whose nature is to "hide" in plain sight and/or run like your butts on fire at the first sign of danger.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DayPacker
So no matter what you wear if you have 4 legs or appear broken up they do not run.

They will look right at you while you are wearing orange and not react if you don�t look like a human. This year I saw one coming to the ridge I was behind. I skirted down the ridge and went to ground MPAJ and the thing came over the ridge 50 yards away, looked right at me, and went down to the water hole 50 yards to my right. I was in plain view the entire time. I aleady anticipated that he would go to the water hole and had my rifle on the ground pointing toward the water hole. I raised my rifle off the ground sideways and shot him. I have taken others while I was in plain view, but this was the closest. BTW, I do wear a face mask and camo in addition to the orange vest. Oh, my orange has some "tree branches" in it to break up the solid color.

Last edited by Cheyenne; 12/10/10. Reason: add stuff

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Spot on. Great eyesight and incredible speed are their two main 'defenses.'

As for curiousity, MANY animals and MAMMALS are "curious," at least once. Even dumbazz HUMANS!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 16penny, 17CalFan, 64 invisible), 2,357 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,222
Posts18,466,460
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.