Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DayPacker
I have read that they can see the color blue. But I agree they see movement at 1 mile easily. Maybe not color so much, but movement yes.

so what if they see the color blue.....i hear this argument for alot of critters we hunt.....here is a question, just what in there environment that is blue is a danger to them? i know of no blue predators......

as to what they will and will not do, the herd my wife and i usually hunt is on public ground, hang out in a big flat kinda surrounded by hills on more or less three sides east, west and north but the east side is alot shorter than the west....few weeks into the season they will spook and run at a pickup stopping let alone someone getting out and they will start running with you a mile away at times....

last day of the season a few years ago is when i finally convinced my wife you can walk up on goats "playing cow"....situation was right with the herd bunched up against the east side of the west lil ridge, we snuck down the west side of the ridge until we were about 500 yards north of the group and popped through a saddle walking parallel to them so they could get a damn good look, my wife was walking in front of me, bent at the waist at about a 45* angle, i was walking behind her, hands holding her belt head in the small of her back so we looked like some sorta 4 legged critter out walking...

we zig-zagged to eat up ground trying to keep our sides to them as much as possible every once in awhile we would stop and my wife would lean over to sorta touch her toes so we looked like some sort of mutant horse feeding.....the whole time the goats just sat and watched us, occasionally taking a few steps closer....

bout 200 yards a way we found a cut and dropped down in it and scrambled our way closer so the wife could use a lil rise up ahead for a rest...we popped up and the goats were gone..whole thing would have worked perfectly had another hunter not spooked the [bleep] from the road and they wandered off away from us....

unfortunately they way they wandered put the wind against us and the lil [bleep] have noses as good as any deer and we had to give up.....

Last edited by rattler; 12/10/10.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Antelope are great to both hunt and eat. They can be pretty predictable though on where they run to. Once or twice when I have seen where they run off to, I've used their predictability to push them to friends of mine who were too old(85+) to stalk them. It worked, much to the delight of my friends.

Steve

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by rattler
could be Sam........but it aint that hard to get most of them to start thinking "WTF is that? i better go get a closer look....."

my wife thought i was full of chit when i told her we could play cow and just walk up on some......started at over 500 yards away ended at 200, the whole time walking in their view.....whole time she kept mumbling "I cant [bleep] believe they are just standing there looking at us?!?!" grin

Without pictures it didn't happen. grin

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bbassi
Originally Posted by rattler
could be Sam........but it aint that hard to get most of them to start thinking "WTF is that? i better go get a closer look....."

my wife thought i was full of chit when i told her we could play cow and just walk up on some......started at over 500 yards away ended at 200, the whole time walking in their view.....whole time she kept mumbling "I cant [bleep] believe they are just standing there looking at us?!?!" grin

Without pictures it didn't happen. grin

have tried to get it on video but 2 years ago my wife had foot surgery and we couldnt and this year i was recovering from back surgery......if we pull tags again next year i WILL get video grin

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BTW it aint some sort of "secret tactic" i read it in some hunting magazine though damned if i can find the article or remember the author and i know of other hunters that have used the same trick that didnt get the idea from me......

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 59 invisible), 2,305 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,640
Posts18,455,339
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.