Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Has anyone used a 6mm 100 grain round to kill elk?

Last edited by DayPacker; 12/10/10.

Time spent hunting is not deducted from one's lifetime.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
by 6mm do you mean 6mm Remington or just a 6mm 100gr bullet?

I have not personally but know a few people who have killed them with a 100 gr partition out of a .243. It is supposedly quite lethal. I would opt for the old style grand slam in 100 gr and not think twice about it.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
6mm Remington 100 grain limited to 300 yards or less.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yes I've used and seen various 6mm's take elk, and some of them were with 100 grain bullets. U do your part and it'll do it's just fine.

Side note, you may wanna change the topic starter to say something about "100 grain bullets" instead of "black AR" as you may get a few more people to answer the question about the bullet as they may see the "black AR" part have no experience with the rifle and move on past. Poing being the 100 grain bullet pertains to the question and the black ar part doesn't. Just trying to help you get more answers is all. I know that Alpine Creek has shot a fair number of elk with his 243 and 100 Nozlers.

We've used the 6/06 to take a few elk with 85's to 95's and no issues either.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks Mark, I didn't think when I posted.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by DayPacker
6mm Remington 100 grain limited to 300 yards or less.

Cut that in aprox. half (150-200 yards) and only shoot on broadside, behind the shoulder shots, and you will probably be OK.

I would use one only if there were NO other options and then be very selective on my shots.

Venor ergo sum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
tshunter58-how many elk have you seen taken with such a combo?

Thx
Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
My neighbor had one and after disaster after disaster,moved up in caliber...I agree with tshunter58...It is not an all around Elk caliber and by all around,I mean taking any shot that will get to the vitals as Elk hunting goes.

Broadside only or head shots..Most any caliber/bullet works.

Jayco

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
A good friend of mine has been hunting elk for a long time...about 40 years out of the same camp to be precise, with about that many elk to his credit.

He's had disaster after disaster as well with his .243...disasterous to the elk he shoots with it.

Over 70 and still getting it done with the .243...as well as the old school pack frame.

[Linked Image]

His latest victim of a .243 disaster, the spike was hatin' it...(sorry best pic I could get while lending a hand with the packing).

[Linked Image]

Last edited by BuzzH; 12/10/10.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
BuzzH

That's really my point in the last few post about smaller calibers and exploding bullets on Elk.Someone like your 70 year old buddy has already paid his dues hunting and knows when and where to shoot as well as one of my wood getting buddies at 71 and still getting firewood to sell.He has killed more Elk than anyone I know and with a 25-06/Nosler combo.But,he is out there every day/knows where they are and has the hunting experience to know his 25-06 can't take some of the shots a larger caliber can and his heart rate doesn't rise to the sounds of the woods..

It's hard to advise something that small to a beginner Elk hunter who hasn't paid his dues or have the experience that some here have and that's what I was getting at with my young neighbor.He wasn't in his 70's with a ton of hunting knowledge behind him.

Jayco

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll preface this with saying I've never killed an elk, but I've killed a pile of deer, and many of them with a .243 Win and 100 gr. Partitions. From virtually any angle I KNOW that Partition will penetrate the vitals, I've had more than a couple that were severe quartering towards and either had exits on the opposite ham or bullets on the skin on the off-side ham. I wouldn't hesitate to take the .243 after elk with 100 gr. Partitions, or I suppose a Barnes would work as well. That being said, the last few years I've been breaking in a couple of .260 Remingtons. I'd stoke that thing with 140 gr. Partitions and feel even more confident with slightly more recoil than the .243. The .243 will get it done if you need it to.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I always thought about using a smaller caliber for elk and just all around shooting. But I keep going back to my 300 wby magnum. Seems when ever I carry my 7mm-08 there are no elk around. I bring my 300 wby and elk are everywhere. Why is that?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I know shot placement is where its at. So do I really need the higher priced premium bullets in a 243 to kill an elk? I know one guy who shoots core locks out of a 257 wby mag and elk just die in their tracks.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Okay..Since this is a gun writer type forum with some greats here,let's see what some other names have to say about the 6MM/243 on Elk.

JJ Hack

On the surface it would seem that with that many 308 diameter cartridges no wonder I feel this way. Yes but..... It is as likely to work against functionality as well. With that frequency we would likely see equal problems. But that is simply not the case. The 7mm mag compares in killing power nicely with the 30/06, however when it's a 300 mag in the mix there is simply nothing at all similar except recoil and muzzle blast. The 300 mag is a far more lethal cartridge then the 7mm mag. At this point in my career no matter who tries to convince me otherwise, I'm not buying!

In any case there are almost always tracking problems with .243/6mm/.257 diameter bullets. There are close to zero problems with the .338/358/375 diameter bullets.

Wayne Van Zwoll

To destroy vital organs, the bullet must penetrate. To penetrate, it must retain enough mass after mushrooming to overcome the pull of tissue slowing it down. When it gets to the vitals, it must be big enough and heavy enough to make a fatal wound and keep going. Whether it stops just under the far hide or pops through is of academic importance, perhaps relevant to the bullet maker, but certainly dependent on shot angle, distance, velocity and what bones and muscles impede the bullet inside. All that matters to you happens before exit.

For this reason, the .24s are not ideal for elk hunting. In open country at moderate ranges with good presentations, strong 6mm bullets can be deadly. But in the catch-as-catch-can of elk hunting in elk cover, they fail. You need never cripple an elk, no matter what cartridge you use, if you limit your shots to those sure to kill. The trouble with the 6mms is that they require you to pass up shots you could easily make with heavier bullets.

Still, when I can't pick the shot and I must shoot the elk, those delightful, accurate -- and versatile -- 6mms stay in the rack.

Craig Boddington

Those looking for low-recoil efficiency can start with the .243. Since it's the only really popular 6mm, we'll discard all the rest. However, I tend to consider the .243 an "expert's deer cartridge" rather than an ideal beginner's round, and I strongly believe it's best suited for small- to medium-size deer.

Jayco

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by logcutter
My neighbor had one and after disaster after disaster,moved up in caliber...I agree with tshunter58...It is not an all around Elk caliber and by all around,I mean taking any shot that will get to the vitals as Elk hunting goes.

Broadside only or head shots..Most any caliber/bullet works.

Jayco

sounds like your neighbor needs to learn how to shoot and spent more time at the range if he keeps crippling Elk. Going up in cal doesn't make up for poor marksmanship. The 243 or 6mm will kill any Elk if you shoot it straight.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
If the shot is spot on at a mild angle but the bullet does not have the weight or design to penetrate,the results are going to be less than spectacular.That's where the experience of hunters like Buzz H's friend come in.

As Wayne Van Zwoll said.

The trouble with the 6mms is that they require you to pass up shots you could easily make with heavier bullets.

My friend learned that and moved up in caliber for his Elk hunting.Broadside shots are hard to come by these days so in Elk hunting,use enough gun and bullet or tag stew is in order or worse yet,a wounded Elk.

Just my opinion and some others as I quoted.

Jayco.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hate to bring actual experience to an internet forum, but.....
Over the last 50 years with the 243 I have seen both over the shoulder and thru the scope one shot kills on elk everywhere from powder burn close in the timber to... well better not say or some twit's liable to get their panties twisted. Only know of a couple dozen out of the entire bunch that used anything other than a cup and core hornady 100 gr bullet. The other bullet was the Nosler partition and that's because that's what my Moms rifle shot the best...
As with any cartridge YOU MUST put the bullet where it will do the most good, and anybody that thinks you need something big to shoot thru an elks paunch and kill it probably haven't shot enough elk to matter.
Bottom line yes the 100 gr bullet from a 243/6mm remington will kill elk dead, and as with a 338 if you blow ones hind leg off you still got a mess....
Some of you bonafide experts could tell the old guy in this picture that a 100 gr 6mm bullet isn't anygood except up close and on small elk, and he'ld laugh in your face.
[Linked Image]

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Killed seven elk with the 6mm Rem, five with the 100 gr. Partition two with out. From 20 yards to 300 only had to shoot one twice but wasn't using the Partitions on that one.

Will it kill elk? yes. Is there better choices? Yes

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I personally think a man who has limited time to hunt elk should use the biggest rifle he can shoot comfortable and accurate. The best Elk round in my opinion starts with the 338 cal. I can't remember who said this, but it is still good advice when it comes to Elk. (Use a rifle chambered in a cal that will get the job done when everything goes wrong, not just when everything goes right.)

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DayPacker
I know shot placement is where its at. So do I really need the higher priced premium bullets in a 243 to kill an elk? I know one guy who shoots core locks out of a 257 wby mag and elk just die in their tracks.

You can kill them with a 40 grain varmmint bullet and a .223 with proper placement. Or a .22 short, for that matter.

Personally, I think anything in .243" caliber is a better choice for experts and those who are willing to take a pass than newbies or someone that is determined to pull the trigger.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
664 members (1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 007FJ, 75 invisible), 2,702 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,367
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.