Print Thread
Hop To
B
bcwhit Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Well after 4years of selling everything I own to stay afloat with this economy. I have gotten to a point that I can begin to figuring out my next rifle build but I have a few questions that I am looking for anwsers. So far this is what I have planned. Mcmillan HTG stock magnum fill,1st year production rem m700 LA blueprinted, caliber will be 280AI. Now the questions. Chrome moly or Stainless steel Barrel? Pillers in the stock or not?I am most likly going to use a Pacnor Barrel in a remington sendero taper. Which coating should I use for the barreled action? I realize that the cost differece is minimal but money saved will go to puchacing a jewel trigger.
thanks
billy

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
HTG's suck,as do CM tubes...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
bcwhit Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Ok, reasons for the opinon?

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by bcwhit
Mcmillan HTG stock magnum fill,

Have you tried one of those HTGs yet? They're pretty bulky. Lots of guys are surprised (and disappointed) when they actually get one in their hands. Sounds like the build is planned around a semi-stationary rig, but I'd reconsider the magnum fill as well.

1st year production rem m700 LA blueprinted, caliber will be 280AI.

I'm not a big Ackley fan, but do know that the 280 AI has a big following here. Action and chambering, I can't argue with your choices (even though I might pick a different round myself, I won't say that yours is necessarily a bad choice wink ).

Chrome moly or Stainless steel Barrel?

I prefer stainless myself. A bit longer life for starters, and I usually just leave them as-is, with maybe a light bead blast, saving some money towards the rest of your build if the action doesn't need reblued anyway. If the action needs blued, and you're trying to save a few bucks, consider CM and have the whole thing tossed in the bluing tank.

Pillers in the stock or not?

Certainly won't hurt, but with a proper bedding job, in a McMillan, you can get by without.

I am most likly going to use a Pacnor Barrel in a remington sendero taper.

The brand I can't argue with. I don't have much use for a heavyweight 280, but if your hunting style suits it, it should be a solid shooting rig!

Which coating should I use for the barreled action?

I'm not much for coatings either, though again, they're quite popular with this crowd here. Myself, I'd go beadblasted barrel and leave it all as-is, unless the action really needs redone. In that case, I'd blast the whole thing, put a matte blue on the action, and go with that.

I realize that the cost differece is minimal but money saved will go to puchacing a jewel trigger.

Again, if cost savings is an issue, there are other trigger choices out there, at much less cost. If wanting to save money, have your 'smith just tune up your factory trigger. You'll save an easy $150 right there.

I'm sure others will chime in with personal preferences, and not like mine, but that's how I see it. laugh

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bcwhit
Ok, reasons for the opinon?

Because they is facts................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
What finished weight are you looking for?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My opinnions and experiences to take them for what they are worth..
Let me start off by saying if your looking to save a few bucks then there are some thinks you can change about the setup. I will still be just a good and accurate.

Get a used H&S off of here. Saves you about $200 bucks and since you want the Magnum fill in the HTG, the weight shouldn't be much difference.

If you are getting the Mc Millian, then I would pillar it. More money and more reason just to get a H&S.

From experince a bluprinted action is a ripoff, or should I say this. Unless you plan on spending hours and hours shooting the rifle along with hundreds of hundreds of dollars on reloading combinations to get the maximum benchrest ability out of the rifle then blueprinting is pointless. And maybe not enough then for the average shooter to be able to tell.

I've got both Custom CM and SS barrels.. I like stainless just becuase of of the rust factor. That's the only difference I've found. Nothing either way on accuracy.

Save you money on the jewel..Like Coldbore said there are alot of other. I actually like the Shilens I have. But had to beat a tuned Factory remington trigger.

Do what you want becuase it's your gun and only matters if your happy with it. I was just trying to give you some cost saving ideas. Good luck and keep us informed.

B
bcwhit Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
weight is not much of a factor it will be used from a stationary position very little packing around. so 10-12 pounds iam ok with.In the past I have used ss barrels from Hart I have been very happy with them but I am going to try Pacnor this go around for change sake. Anyway I noticed that Pacnor are both cm or ss just wondering is a differance. Thank you all for the input.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Big Stick

HTG's suck???? Who knew. Memo's must be slow going heading south from the tundra, and I must have the market cornered by now on HTG suckatude:

First one's in desert flavor is a 223 AI Brux 20" twisted 1-8", so can't suck too much wind, the second in Forest garb is a 7mm-08 Rem OEM 26" 1-9.25", both of which have received the Big Stick seal of approved chamberings.

Of course neither one has the approved 3.5-10x40mm mit M1 twisties, but they does have turrets......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

But then again I'm a slow learner......

Bob

Last edited by Shadow; 12/11/10.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by summitsitter
My opinnions and experiences to take them for what they are worth..
Let me start off by saying if your looking to save a few bucks then there are some thinks you can change about the setup. I will still be just a good and accurate.

Get a used H&S off of here. Saves you about $200 bucks and since you want the Magnum fill in the HTG, the weight shouldn't be much difference.

If you are getting the Mc Millian, then I would pillar it. More money and more reason just to get a H&S.

From experince a bluprinted action is a ripoff, or should I say this. Unless you plan on spending hours and hours shooting the rifle along with hundreds of hundreds of dollars on reloading combinations to get the maximum benchrest ability out of the rifle then blueprinting is pointless. And maybe not enough then for the average shooter to be able to tell.

I've got both Custom CM and SS barrels.. I like stainless just becuase of of the rust factor. That's the only difference I've found. Nothing either way on accuracy.

Save you money on the jewel..Like Coldbore said there are alot of other. I actually like the Shilens I have. But had to beat a tuned Factory remington trigger.

Do what you want becuase it's your gun and only matters if your happy with it. I was just trying to give you some cost saving ideas. Good luck and keep us informed.

A heavy filled HTG is quite a bit heavier than a HS. My heaviest HTG is 52 oz,for conversation. Then there's the fact that HS sucks in the ergo and construction department. never seen a McMillan that required pillars,as pillars are to fend compression issues and McMillans don't/won't/cain't compress...100 fold so in a heavy fill.

The upside to S/S,is that there is no downside...................

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Shadow
Originally Posted by Big Stick

HTG's suck???? Who knew. Memo's must be slow going heading south from the tundra, and I must have the market cornered by now on HTG suckatude:

First one's in desert flavor is a 223 AI Brux 20" twisted 1-8", so can't suck too much wind, the second in Forest garb is a 7mm-08 Rem OEM 26" 1-9.25", both of which have received the Big Stick seal of approved chamberings.

Of course neither one has the approved 3.5-10x40mm mit M1 twisties, but they does have turrets......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

But then again I'm a slow learner......

Bob

That glass is a bitter pill to swallow.

Poke one of 'em in A5 and get back to me. That low comb is a goatphuck,thus the plethora of pads/doodads available to curb same.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh I HTG/M40A1 more than a wee bit and they is what they is,which is a concession..................

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 160user, 54 invisible), 2,310 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,616
Posts18,454,956
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.