Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GaryVA
[Linked Image]

That's awesome, BTW.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
GB1

C
CZ550 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by antlers
[Linked Image]

That's awesome, BTW.

+1

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm no "macho man" either, about 10 years younger than you Bob, a few inches taller and about 20 lb heavier.

When I first got my Ruger #1 375 H&H and had to shoot it off a bench per range rules, it hurt because I was dodging that scope coming back so quick. I never took it back to that range, but only to one where I could shoot standing up and everything was fine.

I went on to get an identical rifle in 458 Win Mag, and found I could shoot it from a bench more comfortably than the 375, in my opinion due to a slower recoil velocity, not lesser recoil. I did have it rattle my cage once when shooting semi prone( laying over a round hay bale for support)

Later I picked up a pretty CZ Safari American, again in 375H&H, for two reasons beautiful wood and the thing fit me perfectly. In all honestly it's softer shooting, from a bench than the old Winchester 70 featherweight 30-06 I started out with back in 63. I have offered to let others shoot it at the range and they usually decline saying it would hurt too much, when I can see their little 7mm &30 cal wonder mags are whipping them much worse than my big 375.

I guess what I'm saying is that mental attitude is the biggest part, position and technique help.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Connie Brooks, all 125 or so pounds of her, shoots 500NE and others just fine. I, at 6'3" and a muscular 245lbs with a very deep voice and an avid biker, dangerous game hunter, former football player, etc run out of tolerance at 416 Rigby. Big and strong or 'macho' have nothing to do with it.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just as the average Navy Seal is around 5'10" and 165-170#, size has nothing at all to do with toughness. It's in you head.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by antlers
[Linked Image]

That's awesome, BTW.

Don't know if it's photo chopped but looks real. Nice pic

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

This guy seems to do ok.

If 'ya can't put hot sauce on it, it ain't worth eat'n....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wonder if he ever needs a follow up shot? LOL

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It might be that the bigger and more solid one is, the more the felt recoil since a large shoulder attatched to a large frame does not want to move or give as readily as a smaller counterpart.

I have owned and shot a coulple of 458 Win and Lott rifles and can shoot them OK, but do not care to do so and find no need. 416's seem to flatten 'em out quite nicely.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

You're getting some good responses w

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I think it has to do with shooting form, and just relaxing. I shoot a .416 Rigby (CZ 550)off a bench and have shot as many as 40 rounds in one sitting with no problem. I am a large body. I have taught my son and a friend to shoot it and once I could get them to hold it correctly and relax they were very surprised that is was not bad at all. They both shoot short action cal. and are very recoil sensitive. But if you try to stand up to the recoil it will hurt you.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by UtahLefty
IMO, being fit & flexible matters more than size in terms of recoil tolerance. 'Tis much less punishing to be fit and be able to "move" under recoil than to be huge / stiff and absorb the full blow with your body.

YMMV.

Darn right! Always knew there might eventually be some advantage to being skinny without big muscles. That probably explains why some women handle the recoil so well. They move with it rather than tensing up too much and fighting it. Also the shape of the stock is really important. You don't want to get whacked in the jaw with every shot. Or have the bolt handle or trigger guard bang into your finger.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Some are nibbling around the ket issues IMHO...which, to me are that recoil does not effect your whole body....which explains why little lightweight folks can manage it(sometimes) and big people cannot(again, sometimes)......generalizations about "toughness",body weight,gender,etc have utterly nothing to do with it....and neither does physical fitness(the more weight lifting you do the more recoil you can manage,which is "bull")....

What is affected by recoil are those body parts in touch with the rifle,or directly affected by the recoil, ie, head, face neck,hands and shouler area(if I left anything out lemme know smile

As you age, you better keep an eye on your retina's too, which are not quite as well put together as they were when you were younger.

Also, the way you shoot.....dealing with a very hard recoiling rifle requires greater muscle tensio to control the rifle in recoil than a lighter kicking one....sometimes, for some people a lighter hold allows better more accurate shooting than something that will fly out of your hands if you fail to get a monkey grip on it.....

And heavy rcoil is detrimental to accurate shooting,most especially over long strings,or from awkward and unsteady field positions.

If you don't believe this set up a 3" dot at 50 yards,shoot it off hand with your 22 rimfire.....it is no trick to hit it every time,off hand. Try the same thing with your 30/06 and see what happens..... smile

Of course for a couple of shots in the field,all this will not matter much......

I could pick up anything from a 22 rimfire to a 458 and do well with it....but that doesn't mean I want to, or should...generally the less the better especially if you shoot a lot.....I have found there is a lot of dishonesty among riflemen when it comes to how much recoil they can truly manage.JMHO

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 458Win
Just as the average Navy Seal is around 5'10" and 165-170#, size has nothing at all to do with toughness. It's in you head.

Well said.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.
C
CZ550 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks to all for your views and input on this sometimes blurred subject.

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
When I got 500 Jeffery, my youngest son (16 years old and 140 lbs at the time) had to shoot it. He did fine, though he liked shooting the 375 H&H better ...

smile

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
cz550,
I used to mount scopes on a lot of 12 gauge shotguns for deer hunters. Most of the time they would have me sight it in for them. They were afraid to shoot their own gun!
I can't really blame them. I have a Ithaca 37 LAPD model with rifle sights on it. It kicks worse than the 8.5 lb .458 Model 70 African I had.
My advice is to shoot it standing up if at all possible.
Noone shoots dangerous animals from a bench that I know of. grin The light rifles are nice to carry but beat you up bad.
The worst kicker I have ever fired was a 5 pound 20 gauge.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That recoil absorption allowed from standing is better than from the bench since recoil distributes over the whole body mass, not just the shoulder neck and head.The body movement allows recoil impulse to occur over a greater time period and thus be subjectively less.

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My personal take is that it has absolutely nothing to do with one's personal size. Fit of the gun sure helps a lot but mostly it's about the want and desire to master the bigger rounds as well as the will to practice.

Just the way I see it.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
...but mostly it's about the want and desire to master the bigger rounds...
Just the way I see it.

That's kinda the way I see it too.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 68 invisible), 2,640 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,671
Posts18,456,023
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.