Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Santa Claus came early this year and delivered my custom McHale pack earlier this week. It is a 38" LBP made out of 500d Cordura (Coyote Brown) and Spectra/Dyneema (Dyed Gray). This first picture shows the pack in its basic configuration (no top lid or water bottle pockets):

[Linked Image]

As shown it weighs in at about 4.5 lbs and has approximately 4500 cubic inches. The bottom and back pouch are constructed of Spectra/Dyneema.

This next picture shows the pack fully configured with the top lid and water bottle pockets:

[Linked Image]

The top lid and water bottle pockets add another 3/4 of a pound and push the volume to approximately 4700 cubic inches.

BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What's the price?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
The pack has meet my expectations. Dan is an artist in his own right. Everything is well thought out and done right.

As a custom build, I had Dan do the following options:

- Upsized frame stays and shoulder straps for heavy 100 lbs + loads.
- Oversized the back pouch for additional storage.
- Organizing pockets inside of the back pouch.
- Extra loops inside the main bag on the frame sleeve for lashing points to attach my meat baggie.
- 500d Cordura main bag and accessories in Coyote Brown for extra strength and abrasion resistance.
- Spectra/Dyneema back pouch for extra durability.
- Frame extensions that allow it to be used for a low profile day pack, or extended for heavy/tall loads that necessitate load lifter straps or extra storage.

While I obviously haven't used this pack much yet, I expect it to work very well compressed down for day/overnight scouting trips or fully expanded for week long bivy hunts. The back pouch works perfectly for storing a rain coat and fleece in the bottom with my 65mm scope and tripod on top, for easy access. The waist belt pockets, which are removable, will easily hold a range finder and release aid in a single pocket. The varied compression straps, horizontal and vertical, are all removable to you can customize your pack to the trip and leave any unnecessary weight at home.

Another very satisfied McHale pack customer.

Last edited by russ_outdoors; 12/15/10.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What's the price?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Brad
What's the price?

If I remember right, the base price for my particular model was $475. All of my extras noted above added another $300. Not cheap by any means! But as much as I use my packs, I expect to get my money's worth over the years.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
$775 for a pack with an antiquated suspension?

Damn...

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Damn...

Real class Brad, real class..........

MtnHtr

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Stacey, you have nearly zero experience with internal frames living in the central valley of California... your point is?

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Originally Posted by russ_outdoors
The pack has meet my expectations. Dan is an artist in his own right. Everything is well thought out and done right.

As a custom build, I had Dan do the following options:

- Upsized frame stays and shoulder straps for heavy (100 lbs + loads).
- Oversized the back pouch for additional storage.
- Organizing pockets inside of the back pouch.
- Extra loops inside the main bag on the frame sleeve for lashing points to attach my meat baggie.
- 500d Cordura main bag and accessories in Coyote Brown for extra strength and abrasion resistance.
- Spectra/Dyneema back pouch for extra durability.
- Frame extensions that allow it to be used for a low profile day pack, or extended for heavy/tall loads that necessitate load lifter straps or extra storage.

While I obviously haven't used this pack much yet, I expect it to work very well compressed down for day/overnight scouting trips or fully expanded for week long bivy hunts. The back pouch works perfectly for storing a rain coat and fleece in the bottom with my 65mm scope and tripod on top, for easy access. The waist belt pockets, which are removable, will easily hold a range finder and release aid in a single pocket. The varied compression straps, horizontal and vertical, are all removable to you can customize your pack to the trip and leave any unnecessary weight at home.

Another very satisfied McHale pack customer.

Congrats, Russ! I am sure that you will get many, many satisfied years of service from it. I own three of his packs and also feel that they are a work of art. I spent $950 each on two of them, and around $475 for the last one, and love the comfort and build quality of each of them. They are kind of an heirloom to me, and will be handed down to my sons.

Last edited by Vigilguy; 12/15/10.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Russ,

Congrats on a very nice pack, a pard is very pleased with his as well. Dan knows his stuff no doubt.

Thanks for sharing,

MtnHtr

IC B3

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R

Damn...

I thought the same thing when I first saw Dan's website a few years ago. In fact, that was the main reason I passed at the time. However, reading first hand accounts of people who have actually used his products over the years changed my mind.

Dan's suspensions have a number of features that are somewhat unique to his packs including double waist belt buckles, bypass harness, top frame extensions, and his Q-Bayo feature.

Having now used one of Dan's packs, I have found them to be every bit the equal if not superior to offerings I have used from companies like Mystery Ranch, Gregory, Badlands, Mountain Smith, et. al. I no longer believe that thermo-molding, thick multi density foam, plastic stiffeners, 3D mesh, catenary cuts, etc. are necessary for a great suspension.

As for price, it is no doubt expensive. I'm hoping in ten years I won't remember how much it cost. :-) However, someone could easily purchase a basic and truly custom pack from Dan for similar cost, or not much more, than packs offered by Kifaru or Mystery Ranch.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Damn...

You have any experience/used Mchale packs to compare to others?

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
russ,
Its a one time purchase,mine cost alot more than yours,if that makes you feel better.They are great packs.Mine served me good on two sheep hunts.I still have my Barneys and MR crew cab for beater packs. I've owned a Kifaru LH Guide,MRCB NICE Behemoth,a couple different Eberlestocks.The Mchale pack I have is the best pack I've owned.I use it for extended trips,crew cab for shorter trips and AZ deer hunts.

I think my wife is gonna get a KUIU when they are available.Maybe for her B-day.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Congrats on the new pack. I think you'll find it's antiquated in the sense that good wool socks, custom mausers and the 30-06 are antiquated.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Very nice pack, Russ. The antiquated comment is funny to me too...I think Dan's packs are still leaps and bounds ahead of the others on the market as far as the design of the suspension system.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have two, along with the whole NICE system, and had the Arcteryx Bora, the Kifaru packs and several ultralights, and have had just about everything you can think of. Dan's packs still seem to be the ones that makes the trip with me. Understand though, I'm not the one carrying the whole sheep off the mountain, as I have to go guided; but, it carries my gear for two weeks well.
Don

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T

Damn...

you know what they say..........
progress, something that takes the place of something better grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Russ, I sincerely apologize for being so abrasive with my opinion... you have only yourself to please and I'll leave it at that.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
That antiquated comment was so uninformed as to be a joke right!?

I've been trying for years to get the kind of fit from off the rack packs that Mchale customers rave about. I've actually sent back packs from the big 2 pack companies due to poor fit of their "custom design" which is essentially a production pack with adjustable yoke. No slight to them- I'm not an avg size guy a bit difficult to fit with off the rack merchandise- both had excellent customer service.

After a few conversations with these folks it appears there are some patents owned by Mr Mchale that are difficult to design around and get that good old "Antiquated" custom fit they are all trying to achieve.

After 200miles+ since August with my latest "Semi custom" XL pack that developed a horrendous squeak [that left REI and the manufacturer with no answer] I'm finally ready to bite the bullet on a custom. By the way, kudos to REI for taking that pack back after being beat from the Alaska range to the Rockies and back more than once. Thats some customer satisfaction right there!

"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."

Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Russ, I sincerely apologize for being so abrasive with my opinion... you have only yourself to please and I'll leave it at that.

No problem Brad. While I am obviously very excited about my new pack, it will take another hunting season before I will know for sure how well it works.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I've been using my McHale for a couple years now. It's a CM pack that is about 4200cu in. It does everything I want it to and is pretty lightweight (went with the dyneema fabric). I only went with a McHale pack after all the packs I tried were insufficient for my needs. For my back, this pack fits the best, and that's what's most important. BTW, beautiful pack you've got Russ, makes me so jealous.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Damn...

Got yourself in trouble, eh?..... grin

Still, at that price I should be able to put a leash on it and have that pack walk itself up the hill.........

Of course, when I think about it, I believe I paid almost $500 out the door for my Dana in 1991.....in today's dollars, that would be...what?-- a 1000 bucks?.......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Damn...

Got yourself in trouble, eh?..... grin

Still, at that price I should be able to put a leash on it and have that pack walk itself up the hill.........

Of course, when I think about it, I believe I paid almost $500 out the door for my Dana in 1991.....in today's dollars, that would be...what?-- a 1000 bucks?.......

Casey

Yeah, insert foot, etc.

Still, I'd sooner run a 1991 Dana... hey wait, I did have a Terraplane from then!

PS, Dana's were no where near $500 in 1991... yer memory's failing grin

F
F
Hey Russ, thanks for posting the pack - looks good.

Last edited by fredflint; 12/17/10.
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I remember wanting a Dana Terraplane badly. They were pretty spendy. Has it really been almost twenty years? Still, those were/are great packs.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Here's some useless trivia:

In the early 90's I was looking at top of the line packs at a local mountaineering store. The two they carried were the Dana Terraplane and Gregory Denali Pro. I ended up the the Gregory at around $450. It was a great pack then, and still is now. What's interesting is the recent switch back to carbon fiber frame stays / frame sheets. My nearly 20 year old Gregory has carbon fiber stays with a plastic frame sheet. At the time they were marketed as "state of the art". Surprisingly enough, the version of the Denali Pro that followed my pack after a few years went back to aluminum stays. Two down sides to carbon fiber is you can't shape it to your individual back like aluminum and when it breaks, it's broken and tough to repair in the field. It will be interesting to see if the current crop of carbon fiber suspensions stick around this time.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Really nice; looking forward to hearing about your hunting experience with it.

Thanks for sharing!

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Hey, that reminds me...... I've got a brand new Denali somewhere in the garage.

Russ: What is the final weight?

Last edited by Grand; 10/04/11.
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Stripped down to the basics my McHale is just over 4 lbs. Fully outfitted around 5-1/4 lbs.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Hi Russ,

Had you looked at CiloGear packs before buying your McHale?

Ultimate Mountaineering Pack $1,500 USD

[img]http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-72629531875391_2173_37252143[/img]

I figure that a person could always dye the pack color to a green or grey themselves. They also come highly recommended, though they are not as customizable as McHale. Thoughts?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Kifaru's KU stays are carbon/wood laminate, not straight carbon.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I did look a CiloGear when researching my pack. Dan's product just seemed a better fit for what I wanted and were customizable.

It is my understanding Spectra/Dyneema is very very difficult to color or die. Dan has a special secret process he uses. I'm not aware of any other pack maker offering colored or dyed full Spectra/Dyneema fabric other than Dan.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am thinking of selling my new Kifaru KU3700 and having one of these built.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by elim
I am thinking of selling my new Kifaru KU3700 and having one of these built.

Well, I ain't sellin' mine. It is just about the perfect hiking pack, and I think humping out an entire deer is well within its capability, I hope to find out this fall.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know I am probable a fool to sell considering the wait times they have but I am really eyeing a new Mchale.I love the fact that I can built it any way I want.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
what is the deal with Mchale being closed?

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I believe he takes a month or so off every fall to go backpacking/camping and whatnot.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
of coarse it is the month that I want to order a pack..

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Russ - that's one sweet pack you've got there!!!!

elim - Dan's probably a couple months out on delivery so you're not really "out" if you were wanting it for this season.

I've been eye-balling a McHale pack for a couple of years now, but i've had other gear-stuff i've needed 1st. Also, my personal $ have been going into medium format photography so my McHale dream will have to wait, but he sure makes a sweet pack.

I don't even want to look at his site again - i've configured 2 packs and that's some big $jack$...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
any new news?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here's mine traipsing through the Yukon, looking for a sheep

[Linked Image]

Strangely, this is one I got off ebay, and had Dan rework it for me. I'm liking it better than the one made for me from scratch.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
doccd you have any better pics of the pack?I have a appointment next week with Dan and need some ideas.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
what are must haves for a new pack?

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Bayonet system is really awesome. Lets you extend the length of the frame. The rest is based on your personal tastes I guess.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am thinking a LBP 35 with kangaroo pouch and half zipper.It looks like the bayonet system is a must also.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
i sent Dan my cash and measurements last week. Im still on the fence on which pack to go with. The Critical Mass sounds great for packing out an elk. On the other hand when not packing out a critter it sure would be nice to have a smaller lighter pack. The Windsauk is the pack Ive had my eye on for a while. The problem for me is, could the CM be overkill or will the bayonets etc. be sufficient for heavy loads.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I have a CM with bayonets. I don't know how big a load it will support. I know I can't lift that much or walk with that much.
I also have one of his light packs (his simplest older version about day and a half sized) and it will control a pretty chunky load itself. If I were doing it over again, I'd probably drop down from the CM frame to the regular frame S-SARC for the big pack. For carrying meat, especially quarters, you need the bag to be big enough at top to slide the quarter in shoulder down. My small bag is cut too narrow for that. The CM is big enough that it's like loading into a garbage can.
The bayonets are good in that it allows my big pack to reduce down to a shoulder high pack that still has a sturdy suspension and frame. It works well when carrying the pack through thick brush where the short configuration doesn't hang up overhead or way out to sides. The bayonets are sturdy.
Tell Dan what you want it for including what a usual load will be and the biggest load may be and listen to his advice. His larger non-CM packs are built for carrying heavy loads.
Oh, also do not compare his cubic inch estimates to any other pack manufacturer cubic inch estimates. A McHale 5000 ci pack will have a much higher capacity than a mass market 5000 ci pack.
On the Windsauk- I don't have one. I will tell you that I use the side straps on both my McHale packs extensively to shrink them down around whatever the load is. The CM would be mostly unusable without shrinking it to hold the load in the right place when the pack is not full. Even with the small pack, tightening down the side straps to lock down the load makes the pack much more comfortable to carry over rough trails, through blowdowns and such.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If you have plans of ever carrying 60lbs plus, I would go with the CM series. I have been using mine for the last few weeks now and have loaded max wt. so far of a measured 55lbs. and it carries better than any pack I've owned, including Kifaru. And that 55lbs feels lighter than in any other pack ( I loaded the demo pack with a measured 85 lbs and it just carried better, more comfortable, more stable. And that was with lighter fabric and frame stays too).

The CM waste belt is so much better than the other packs because of it's width, full coverage and the double camlock buckle adjustment. It really does work. That and the Bypass shoulder straps make for a superior carry system that makes on the trail adjustment in small increments fast and easy.

I have the S-CMII in 1000d cordura with the summit lid. I had Dan attach a couple loops to the waste belt/frame bolts and an extra set of daisy chains on the side panels next to the back/harness side, heavier frame stays and Dyneema shoulder straps as extras.

The pack is big (+7000ci) and heavy(8.5lbs all up)by todays' ultralight standards and yes EXPENSIVE ($1000). But with the three design features of waste belt, bypass shoulder straps and frame configuration in relation to the other two, IMO it is superior to any system out there for carrying comfort and stability. You throw in Dan's quality sewing and craftsmanship and it is hard to beat and will last a very long time.

Even though the pack is relatively heavy, it carries so much better, it feels lighter than it is. I've been using mine for day hunts carrying a total of 25lbs. and I just feel better at the end of the hike than I have with the other packs carrying the same wt. When I shoot something I'll be able to load meat in to the lower part of the pack, or attach to the outside (those loops and daisy chains) and move the gear up above the internal shelf with the bayonets reinstalled and I'm good to go. Can you tell I like this pack?

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

I know this picture is crappy, but it's of the CM-II pack, with a kifaru gunbearer. I has a Kangaroo pouch on back, and it's all Dyneema, painted green, and it's on Dan's website.

[Linked Image]

This is a pic of the Winsauk that I bought off ebay and have had it out to Dan three times for remodeling. I don't seem to have a better picture of it around. If you go to the Windsauk portion of his webpage, it's the white undyed one along the left margin. He's camo painted it, added hip pockets, and a kangaroo pouch on back, as well as putting a panel load option into it (a wizard of a seamstress did this), and put on a hip pack top and the bayonet feature. It's really not even the same pack anymore. Please not, that for sheep hunting I think his side pockets are great because they fit a buttstock of the rifle and you can strap the forearm to the bayonet. The gunbearer works great, but for whole days hiking, it's nice to have the gun out of the way.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
what do you guys think about dyneema?Is it worth the extra money?

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Full dyneema? -probably gilding the lily. I have the dyneema shoulder straps and bottom which seems to be a good compromise as those are high wear areas. It really is functionally abrasion proof. Shoulder straps get salty and the dyneema supposedly keeps chewing critters at bay. It does make the straps more comfortable because of the way they slide over your clothing. The dyneema fabric is heavier than the nylon dyneema grid so full dyneema will add some weight, not to mention the sticker shock. My smaller pack is older and uses the very light grid nylon. The only places it shows wear is where my larger pack has dyneema reinforcement on the bottom. So, I'd say the usual dyneema reinforcements are just where they need to be.

I like my CM but you should know that the bypass shoulder straps, bayonet frame extensions and double camlock waist buckles are all available in the SARC frame style. The SARC waist belt is very good and uses double buckles or cams. The CM waist belt is better but the overall pack is heavier.
So, I'd agree that if you're going to carry very heavy loads often, then get the CM. But, if you're usually going to carry ordinary loads and occasionally pack very heavy loads, then get one of the bigger SARCs set up by Dan for heavy loads. It'll be lighter, more flexible and cheaper than the CM.
Getting a CM to occasionally pack out deer is like using a .375 mag for whitetail. It'll work but it's overkill.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Having both a larger SARC and a CM, I totally agree. As I mentioned, I sent my SARC, which I got off ebay, back to Dan to modify and put on the frame extensions, and the bypass system. I don't find myself often using these features, though.
Don

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
what do you guys think about dyneema?Is it worth the extra money?

If I read Dan's site correctly, he's no longer offering full dyneema. I don't know why. My only dislike is that it seems to take on water and get heavier in the rain, a problem solvable by a pack cover. When you hold the fabric in your hand, you'd swear it would stop a .22 long rifle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
is there a part 3 yet??

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Happy New Year!

Any news or updates? smile

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J

Damn...

Hello all, new guy here. In fact, looking up McHale LBP reviews is what brought me to this site. I'm in the market for a new pack and it's come down to two; the LBP and a similar sized pack from another well respected company. I apologize for necroposting, but I'd love to see this thread updated with more reviews of the LBP's.

I also wanted to mention I got a chuckle out of your quote Brad. I mean no disrespect, you've probably forgotten more about backpacking than I'll ever know (And props to you, by the way, for apologizing. Too few people do that anymore). I just wanted to make an observation on the "antiquated" vs. "advanced" argument. I bought a SIG P226, European made handgun new, many years ago. I like it so much that more recently I bought the same model that is supposedly the "advanced" version, 1 peice stainless slide with Nytron finish versus the old folded carbon slide of the original. The old gun is better in every way (except perhaps rust prevention, although in fairness it has never rusted either). It is more accurate, smoother, better trigger, etc. I promptly sold the newer version. I'll never sell my oldie.

The department I work for switched radios a few years back. We went from the Motorola Saber to the newer, more advanced, Motorola XTS 5000. The newer radios are smaller, lighter, "more powerful", etc. Better in every way right? Nope. The Saber battery lasted way longer (I can barely get a 12 hour shift worth of charge out of my new radio), the Saber transmitted and received far better in remote areas. I was once on a rescue where I (and all my gear), got dunked in the Pacific and then stranded on a beach. The Saber continued to work the remainder of the afternoon until a Coastie helo could come and hoist us out. Finally the battery got so corroded the radio stopped working. Put in a new battery the next day and never had an issue. The "advanced" newer radios crap out constantly (I have coworkers on their 3rd or 4th radio from normal use). Sorry for the long stories. The point I was trying to make is that with gear I've almost come to view "antiquated" as a compliment. smile

Last edited by Jedi5150; 02/10/12.
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I had planned on doing a Part III after the fall hunts, but life seems to have gotten in the way.

Maybe this weekend.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I had planned on doing a Part III after the fall hunts, but life seems to have gotten in the way.

Maybe this weekend.

That'd be great Russ! With lots of pics of course. Hahaha. But seriously, if you wouldn't mind giving a list of the gear you pack in it I'd appreciate it (at least a list of the larger items). I'm still up in the air as to which size LBP I'd get. I noticed you said your 38" in the top photo configuration was about 4,200 CI. But that confused me a bit as well. From reading the site it makes it look like the biggest of the LBP's they offer (40" I believe), is only 3,000ci. Then the S-Sarc (42 or 43" I think) comes in at about 4,000ci?? The numbers seemed a little bit off.

Thanks!

PS- I love the color sceme you chose for your pack. Grey and coyote work well together. Also, I'm shooting you a PM if you don't mind.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
The numbers should be accurate. I had it designed for a very specific size based on past experience with other packs. I'd have to dig through my papers to be sure, but I believe mine is somewhat taller than normal and the 4200 would include the back pouch, which is oversized as well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
well you guys are to late.I just ordered a LBP36 in full brown cuban (or what ever he calls the new dyneema material)

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
well you guys are to late.I just ordered a LBP36 in full brown cuban (or what ever he calls the new dyneema material)

Pics or it didn't happen. wink smile

I can't wait to see it Elim. I'm sorely temped to go this route. I'm a died in the wool Kifaru fan, having had a great many of their packs and gadgets over the years (and still do). Plus, they are an outstanding group of people. But there are a few things that are heavily swaying me towards the McHale this time around.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just got ride of a new Kifaru ku3700 when I ordered the Mchale.I am kind of a picky guy and being able to call Dan and be able to get what ever options configured how I wanted was huge for me.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
As I understand it, Cuben and Dyneema are two different types of fabric. My guess is Dan is using Dyneema in the high wear/stress areas and the lighter Cuben for the rest.

elim, keep us posted on how the pack turns out. Using Cuben and Dyneema is cutting edge pack construction.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
As I understand it, Cuben and Dyneema are two different types of fabric. My guess is Dan is using Dyneema in the high wear/stress areas and the lighter Cuben for the rest.

elim, keep us posted on how the pack turns out. Using Cuben and Dyneema is cutting edge pack construction.

Somewhere on his website (I'm going to start taking notes on where I find things for later reference wink ) I saw there was an update that 100% Full Dyneema packs were no longer going to be available, due to the shortage of material. I'm guessing that 100% full Spectra packs will still be available, but that is only a guess. Do you guys know if Spectra is also white like Dyneema? I've heard they are the same thing, but I believe he said they come in two different weights. I'm hoping for white to be the main pack color if I order one.

As a side note, I recently got new rifle plates for work. I wear a kevlar concealment vest under my shirt, but the new plate carrier is with Dyneema plates (stacks of dyneema made into a hard plate). That stuff is IMPRESSIVE. I've seen it shot first hand (for testing). A 3 lb, 10"x 12" plate of Dyneema will stop anything up to and including 308 Winchester FMJ, 5.56 FMJ., etc. at muzzle velocities. I think it's cool that packs are made out of it too. lol

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Spectra and Dyneema are white and considered to be "un-colorable". They do not take dyes or other coloring like standard nylon or polyester.

If you get on Cilo Gear's website you'll quickly notice their S/D pack bodies are all white. There's a reason for that.

Having said that, Dan has a special process where he colors his S/D material. Some have referred to it as "painting", but only Dan knows how he does it and he ain't talkin. The down side is the process is not colorfast. Some of the coloring will disappear over time. I've noticed the gray on my pack has lightened a few shades in some areas.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Spectra and Dyneema are white and considered to be "un-colorable". They do not take dyes or other coloring like standard nylon or polyester.

Well, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and this is the color scheme I fell in love with (photo off of McHale's website):
[Linked Image]

In fact, although this is one of the biggest packs (bigger than the S-SARC if I remember right), is it set up very similar to how I would like the LBP to be...two-layer summit lid, expedition pack and water bottles, and the same color scheme (white body, grey pouches, black webbing).

If the grey will eventually fade, I immagine he has other fabrics for those areas that would be similar in color...

PS- Russ, I sent another PM about sizing, you might have missed it. wink

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I just got ride of a new Kifaru ku3700 when I ordered the Mchale.I am kind of a picky guy and being able to call Dan and be able to get what ever options configured how I wanted was huge for me.

Why did you get rid of your KU 3700? I love mine, it replaced a ULA Catalyst as a hiking pack. I had hopes Kifaru would come out with a simple (no idiotic sleeping bag zipper) 5000 cubic in pack with a backpouch but it was not to be. A McHale looks like the only game in town if that is what you want.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

Why did you get rid of your KU 3700? I love mine, it replaced a ULA Catalyst as a hiking pack. I had hopes Kifaru would come out with a simple (no idiotic sleeping bag zipper) 5000 cubic in pack with a backpouch but it was not to be. A McHale looks like the only game in town if that is what you want.

You and I are in agreement about the sleeping bag compartment zipper. That is why of the new Timberline series the T3 was the only one I was even considering. The two larger ones have the zippered main compartment. And I do really like the bellowed slot pockets (would work perfect for my camera tripod).

My two biggest selling points for the McHale over the T3 or KU packs both center around personal style. First, and I know this is very picky sounding, is color. My friends at work make fun of me because all I wear even off work is earth tones...khaki pants, black or coyote jackets, tan boots, etc. But when it comes to backpacks, I really like a pack that is not so...what is the word..."tacticool". Multi colored packs appeal to me (even if they are just shades of grey, black and white smile ).

Secondly, the way the McHales so successfully take one pack and make it fit a wide range of conditions. When I backpack, I get to my camp for the day, set up my tent and gear, and then go exploring/ picture taking. The McHale, with the P&G system, dumping the top lid and expedition pouch, etc., really makes that happen well from what I've seen. There are other minor points, but those two are the biggest things swaying me towards a McHale at the moment.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Very nice.

After a few years now, any of you have updates as to McHale for Hunting packs?

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization"-- Emerson

Support outdoor sports and our hunting-conservationist heritage; hunt with high morals and ethical standards
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by John_Gregori
Very nice.

After a few years now, any of you have updates as to McHale for Hunting packs?
I'd be curious too. I have a Stome Glacier and am looking at a Seek Outside pack for possible purchase, but still hear great things about these McHale packs.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a Super SARC with the P&G frame extensions in green/white grid Dyneema w full Spectra shoulder straps and bottom I use for backpacking. Never used it for hunting though it would fit an elk quarter inside nicely. I think it is 4500 cu in. I guess I never wanted to get blood on it hah. It carries like a dream. I have all the Kifaru KU pacs and prefer the KU2200 for day hiking. Over the years I've used pretty much all the Kifaru packs as well as Stone Glacier, Exo and Seek Outside. I have a Peregrine now as well. Seems like I use the Kifaru or Exo packs for hunting the most. I like the load shelf idea and the Stone Glaciers have this as well. Backpacks are a personal thing and what fits me and works well for me may not work for you. I don't do a lot of heavy packing anymore but the McHale SARC is a very nice backpack and carries extremely well with 3 or 4 days worth of gear in it. I like the belt and suspension and without the lid you can suck it down for day hiking. The only downside to a McHale pack is the cost but you get what you pay for and the cost of Kifaru, Stone Glacier, and Exo is not far behind. The best value out there may be Seek Outside. Not quite as costly and carry a load extremely well. You just have to see what works for you in the end.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I bought my CM II in 2011 and have been using it every year on Stones Sheep hunts, as well as lots of goat, caribou, deer and antelope hunting. I used to use a Kifaru LongHunter Guide and the Mchale is a huge improvement for carrying heavy loads for me. Might be just my body shape, but the CM II harness system is on another level for heavy load comfort. Other people I’ve hunted with, including my brother, have bought Mchale packs after witnessing and trying mine. The packs they replaced were Kifaru’s, Mystery Ranch and Barney’s.
It is the one piece of gear that I would never get rid of unless it was for another Mchale pack.
Mine is full Dyneema and apart from looking a little faded and dirty, it has no cuts, holes, abraided patches or frayed threading. I’ve never torn out a strap, popped a zipper, or broken a buckle, and this pack has carried many rams, goats, deer and caribou.

Last edited by mod7rem; 11/22/19.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by mod7rem
I bought my CM II in 2011 and have been using it every year on Stones Sheep hunts, as well as lots of goat, caribou, deer and antelope hunting. I used to use a Kifaru LongHunter Guide and the Mchale is a huge improvement for carrying heavy loads for me. Might be just my body shape, but the CM II harness system is on another level for heavy load comfort. Other people I’ve hunted with, including my brother, have bought Mchale packs after witnessing and trying mine. The packs they replaced were Kifaru’s, Mystery Ranch and Barney’s.
It is the one piece of gear that I would never get rid of or trade unless it was for another Mchale pack.
Mine is full Dyneema and apart from looking a little faded and dirty, it has no cuts, holes, abraided patches or frayed threading. I’ve never torn out a strap, popped a zipper, or broken a buckle, and this pack has carried many rams, goats, deer and caribou.

Since the McHale doesn't have a load shelf, How do you pack out of the backcountry with meat? For instance, do you place your tent, sleeping bag, clothes food etc. into a drybag outside of the pack and carry the meat in meat bags inside or something else?

Thank you!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My pack has a removable shelf that separates the to and bottom of the pack with a heavy access zipper across the middle. If I’m carrying meat and gear, I’ll pack my sleeping bag, cape and anything else compressible into the very bottom(in a sil-nylon bag) and put a bag of meat on top of that. Then more meat in the top half on top of the shelf and pack as much gear and clothing behind it to keep meat close to my back. Then extend the top of the pack and stuff gear in. With one ram between two guys it’s no problem to have everything in the pack except for the head. One animal each and some things get strapped to the outside like tripod, etc.
If the loads are so big that I have to strap a bunch of stuff on the outside, then it’s too heavy for me and I make more trips lol. Strapping a big caribou head to the pack is a little trickier than with an external frame but doable, and for me the comfort of the harness system more than makes up for it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
142 members (257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 18 invisible), 1,908 guests, and 912 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,659
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.