Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by mikeshickele
I think that it's high time for me to chime in here. I don't think that it's unreasonable at all to expect a bullet that always did hold together and penetrate, to continue to do so. If someone thinks that I'm an idiot canuck for conveying my findings, so be it. If someone thinks that i'm over-reacting when I ask questions and expect answers so be it.
I have expectations of a bullet that I take into the field after animals; if I can get performance at a good price, I'll do so. If a bullet is failing to perform, I will pay the money that's needed to obtain that performance.
historically, the hornady interlock performed to my expectations; so much so that I recommended them to others without hesitation. I now find myself in a situation where I have to tell others that my recomendation has been wrong due to the poor performance that I have personally found. If anything makes me an idiot, that is it.
But to convey my findings so some other person doesn't find out the hard way that the bullets may fail, is, in my oppinion, the right thing to do. Do I care what a certian person on this site feels about me........no. If he has issue with my findings he's more than welcom to continue to use whatever bullet he wants. I personally want full penetration from any angle, fallowed by an exit hole if possible.......I don't ever want to loose the biggest bull I've ever seen due to the bullet blowing up on the shoulder.
Mike

I'm curious Mike.

After reading though all your hand wringing here, exactly how many game animals did you not recover due to Hornady Interlock "failures"?

Last edited by jim62; 12/19/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
GB1

M
M
it's not the ones that I "did not" recover that I'm concerned about........which is none. it's the ones that I "might not" recover. A person can drive thousands of miles without a spare tire, never needing one, thinking that only a fool would carry something that was so useless......until the day that they needed it.
The same holds true for a bullet. There will be a day when that bullets hits the heavier bone, and when that day comes, if the bullet that you are using seperates when it hits the ribcage, a person could find themselves unable to recover an animal that will eventually die due to it's wounds.
Up until a short while ago, my experience with the hornady .308 180gr interlock, was that it was a bullet that would hold together in difficult situations. My, and others experience over the last season has shown that this is no longer the case. If you so choose to continue to use this bullet, that is your choice, BUT, when I see a problem with a product that could potentially wound animals and wreck hunts, I feel obligated to mention something about it; to the company that is producing the product, and other hunters that may be effected by this change.
Mike

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
it's not the ones that I "did not" recover that I'm concerned about........which is none. it's the ones that I "might not" recover. A person can drive thousands of miles without a spare tire, never needing one, thinking that only a fool would carry something that was so useless......until the day that they needed it.
The same holds true for a bullet. There will be a day when that bullets hits the heavier bone, and when that day comes, if the bullet that you are using seperates when it hits the ribcage, a person could find themselves unable to recover an animal that will eventually die due to it's wounds.
Up until a short while ago, my experience with the hornady .308 180gr interlock, was that it was a bullet that would hold together in difficult situations. My, and others experience over the last season has shown that this is no longer the case. If you so choose to continue to use this bullet, that is your choice, BUT, when I see a problem with a product that could potentially wound animals and wreck hunts, I feel obligated to mention something about it; to the company that is producing the product, and other hunters that may be effected by this change.
Mike

Interesting.

How many total big game animals of all kinds have you killed with Hornady Interlocks(all calibers)?

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Jim and others:

I would like to know why you do not even remotely suspect Hornady has changed the design of the interlock to be less sturdy to so nearly coincide with the introduction of their interbond bullet to sell more premiums? Clearly the upper end of a product line always has more markup and the bottom line tends to drive business in our capitalistic economy. I would like to know what you know about hornady's track record for altruism rather than self sustenance because it may help me understand better your stance. Looking for "empirical evidence" here please.

Jamie

M
M
Jim........rest assured that i have taken enough animals, with enough bullets to know the difference between good and poor performance.
Mike

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Aletheuo
Jim and others:

I would like to know why you do not even remotely suspect Hornady has changed the design of the interlock to be less sturdy to so nearly coincide with the introduction of their interbond bullet to sell more premiums? Clearly the upper end of a product line always has more markup and the bottom line tends to drive business in our capitalistic economy. I would like to know what you know about hornady's track record for altruism rather than self sustenance because it may help me understand better your stance. Looking for "empirical evidence" here please.

Jamie

WHAT verifiable proof, sir do you offer to support your silly little marketing conspiracy theory?

Please continue.

I'd really love to hear this. wink

To all gunmaker critics-
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Jim........rest assured that i have taken enough animals, with enough bullets to know the difference between good and poor performance.
Mike

Boy, Mr Mike.

If the figure was less than pathetic, I'm you would have named it.

An impressive basis for an indictment of Hornady Interlocks ..

How old are you 25 ? 26 ?

To all gunmaker critics-
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Jim... Please continue your worship at the altar. I'm sorry to have disturbed you. You may want to try to right some of the cows on the way out, however, because they may die in that position.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Jim62

I've shot at least a dozen animals (deer/bears) with the 165 gr interlock with zero issues. I have confidence in that bullet both in terms of accuracy and killing. I love them. Others have had the same results with the 180 grain. When I hear that there may have been some changes made to a bullet, that concerns me. Years ago remington thinned the jackets on the corelokt spitzers so it is not impossible that hornady may have changed things for whatever reason.

Why is that so difficult for you to consider?

Is the 62 referring to your age or your IQ? You have added nothing to this thread. Go troll somewhere else

Last edited by Colin_Matchett; 12/19/10.

"I am at heart a meat hunter."
John Barsness, The Life of the Hunt
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Jim... Please continue your worship at the altar. I'm sorry to have disturbed you. You may want to try to right some of the cows on the way out, however, because they may die in that position.

No worshipping here.

I am just not keen on 20 something 'net wankers like you and your buddy here smearing good products or companies with baseless rumors and "conspiracy theories"...

Your "evidence" presented here has been pretty impressive for how absolutely SILLY it is.

To all gunmaker critics-
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Colin_Matchett
Jim62

I've shot at least a dozen animals (deer/bears) with the 165 gr interlock with zero issues. I have confidence in that bullet both in terms of accuracy and killing. I love them. Others have had the same results with the 180 grain. When I hear that there may have been some changes made to a bullet, that concerns me. Years ago remington thinned the jackets on the corelokt spitzers so it is not impossible that hornady may have changed things for whatever reason.

Why is that so difficult for you to consider?

Is the 62 referring to your age or your IQ? You have added nothing to this thread. Go troll somewhere else

Colin,

Minor design changes happen in the life of any product. No proof has been offered here that Hornady has actually done anything that would adversely affect the performance of the Interlocks.

I am glad to see you are so open to conspiracy theories based on rumor and sheer opinion offered up as "evidence".

Maybe your age IS your IQ. It sure seems that way. grin

To all gunmaker critics-
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Mike, you are one of FEW who have reported any problem with this bullet. Obviously there has been some l/l variation. Show me ANYTHING where this CAN NOT happen.

OTOH, I and others have had EXPECTED success THIS year with NEWER lots than yours which DID NOT perform acceptably. I don't agree with your CONCLUSION that ALL H.ils. are NOW unreliable.
(? do you work for S. or S.?)

My point in this is; all things are not as they appear. We can not SEE the diff. in alloy, tensil strength, softness/hardness etc. I suggest that you CONSIDER the majority of reports in this thread. ?Have you read ANY of the other reports from this year? I'm NOT being critical, one report of il. failure was NOT an il. after investigation.

I suggest that you are painting a BROAD stroke with thin paint. I would ask that you give more consideration to ALL the evidence.
I too WOULD NOT use any more of the LOT that has failed you,for hunting, but I would compare any other lots I had in something OTHER THAN ANIMALS.

Broad Generalizations are by definition wrong more often than right.

I submit these things for consideration for a more fair assessment. Let's try to give EVERYBODY a reasonable representation. FWIW I'm not on any gun industry payroll.

JWALL

An Old Handloader

Deaf in Left Ear

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
M
M
Mike

Actually, I'm 40, and no, that is not my IQ, and no, I find no reason to drop to your level and ask if it is yours. My dad started me hunting when I was 6. I think I might know when things are working right, and when they are working wrong. I suspect that at this point it is no longer worth my time to attempt to discuss anything with you. You have said nothing in any of your posts to prove otherwise.
Mike

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by jim62
20 somethings

Jim - I'm 37.

Cheers,
Jamie

Last edited by Aletheuo; 12/19/10. Reason: pearls to swine
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The 30 cal 180 Interlock #3070... before and after.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Aletheuo; 12/19/10.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The Interlock... before and after.
[Linked Image]

I believe JB's suggestion would be the most accurate assessment. When that inner ring is relocated it can lose the core if expansion goes back that far either with close shots or higher velocity loads.

I also remember the .416's when they were released, the bullet available to handloaders was not the same as used in Weatherby Factory ammo. It happens, always unannounced.

JW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
check out Aletheuo's pics. Still think there is no change?

"I am at heart a meat hunter."
John Barsness, The Life of the Hunt
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Yukoner
Originally Posted by Technoman26
Originally Posted by Colin_Matchett
some people recently had some "failures" with the 308 cal 180 grain interlock.

I would propose that any failure is likely due to poor shot placement.

What kind of "failure" are they talking about? Did the deer/carribou/bear/critter "run" after the hit? No "bang-flop"?

How about a 270 gr .375 spitzer that failed to penetrate a black bear neck at at 35 yd. Is that failure enough to demand attention?

Ted

When I hear stories like that, I start to question the sanity of whoever is reporting it.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
All I Want For Xmas Is a BJ From Jim62!!!
Hawooooooooooooooooo Ca'monnnnnnnnnn Jimmy...Dont Be Nervous Ya Bagbeat!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Up until a short while ago, my experience with the hornady .308 180gr interlock, was that it was a bullet that would hold together in difficult situations. My, and others experience over the last season has shown that this is no longer the case.

You have had good luck with the interlocks.. I'm happy for you. Have you considered that maybe you have been pushing the envelope with this bullet for years. It has held up beyond expectations for you. After all it is just a standard cup and core rapidly expanding frangible bullet with an added bonus feature that on occasion sometimes helps retain the core. All this for the same price or less than other bullets of similar design without this feature. Your experience of complete penetration up until now just goes to show what an exceptional bullet the interlock is, holding together beyond what can be reasonably expected for that design of bullet. You have been getting premium bullet performance from a non premium bullet. Finally your luck ran out, you had an experience where it came apart or failed to completely penetrate your animal, that is to be expected from this type of bullet, Instead of complaining you should be praising your experience with these great bullets. Apparently your expecting more penetrating performance than this bullet is designed for. If you want complete penetration everytime then perhaps spend more $$ on tougher bullets, even premium bullets designed to penetrate deeply don't always do so.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 1936M71, 66 invisible), 2,176 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,129
Posts18,464,664
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.