-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i have this pair of rocky, and are great over a wide range of temps. plus they are light weight.
rocky boots

=========================================================
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
My feet run very cold, so I usually go a little heavier in insulated boots than some folks might. I find the 400 gram to be adequate for most hunting, especially if on the move a lot (pheasant hunting etc.). I have a couple pair of uninsulated Wolverines, but there use is limited to warmer conditions.
My feet get the coldest when fishing in very cold weather, and I have some Sorel Pac Boots for that- I believe they are 800's plus a felt liner.
Size your boots for the socks (and thickness of them) that you will wear with those boots. Too tight not good.
Socks are paramount- silk liners with wool- I like Wigwams, and will layer as necessary for conditions. Antiperspirant foot spray helps immensely with sweating.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Cheesy
I'd likely run uninsulated Danner Pronghorns if I were you, in fact, they're my preference in boots for the last 5 years, new pair should be arriving this week.

Just received mine from the "goodfriend promo"... wink. I'm pretty happy!

Assuming you got in on that as well.

David

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
yes that are them

1. I now see the wisdom and merits of much older generations.
2. Technology makes things cheaper, easier, and less labor intensive, but not necessarily better.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Here are the 435's you were talking about-

[Linked Image]

I myself prefer a 9" boot.

-----

For the picture 'quote' me and see how the img code works-

yeah, these are the ones I have been looking at. there are variations on these. 6" or 9" either in insulated (400g) or non-insulated, and gore tex or not (gore tex equivalent)

2. Technology makes things cheaper, easier, and less labor intensive, but not necessarily better.
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
If it doesn't get much colder than 20-30* I'd go with uninsulated and wear good socks.

Light ins. is OK if you don't get sweaty feet. If you do, it won't matter what ins. you have, your feet will get cold.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
The more I wear the 9" at work, the more I wish I went with the 6.

Camp is where you make it.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
quote:
70 degrees F to 20 degrees F
That doesn't even approach real cold! Un-insulated boots are the way to go for mild temperatures. Wear good socks! The big problem with insulated boots is when you get them wet. With un-insulated boots, you just change socks and keep hunting. with insulated boots, you'd better be by a good moderate heat source and have 8 hours or more.....
It is very frustrating to have soaked insulated boots that can't dry out. Insulation is ineffective in those conditions.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If it's not going to get colder than 20 degrees F, then I wouldn't get insulated boots. You can handle that with warm socks. The last thing you want is to be sweating in 70F weather with your insulated boots. I've hunted in lower than 20 with a pair of boots similar to these with light poly liner socks under heavy wool in comfort:

http://www.rockyboots.com/Product-D...ynx-Realtree-AP-Waterproof-Hunting-Boot/

I did finally find some 400 gram insulated boots that I only wear if snow is involved, but if I only had one pair, I'd rather have the uninsulated than the insulated.

Last edited by natman; 12/21/10.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I prefer barefoot .. in the warm sand!

Anywhere else I need as much insulation I can walk in!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have (only one pair!) of insulated (400 i think). Most of my hunting is a lot of walking and so I adjust socks depending on temps:

warmer (40+ degrees) I will use a silk liner and cotton socks and my feet still get pretty warm usually. YES, I should also have uninsulated boots, but havent' spent the $$ for that.

Colder: under 30* - If I know I'm mostly sitting, liner + nice wool socks. But if walking- wear liner + not as thick wool socks or a blended (Ultimax type) sock from wherever (Cabelas, etc)

These boots have been my most comfy ever and are flexible, but have good grips. Not sure of the exact boot, but close to this: Cabela's 9" Insulated Pinnacle� Hunting Boots with GORE-TEX� Scent-Lok�

Also, if you will wear wool or multiple layers - you probably need a larger size but that depends on the boot. Try them on with the layers you will wear!
Cabelas has the same boot in 7 & 9" uninsulated for about $100. For your description of your hunting, I'd go with uninsulated. Especially if your cold is mainly in the morning or evenings and daytime is warmer. You may be a little cold right away, but shouldn't take too long to warm up your toes(sissy) grin
You could even pack a couple changes of socks probably (start wtih wool & change when warmer).

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have white bunny boots for ice fishing and ultra-light weight non-insulated wolverines for hunting. I got tired of heavy boots out walking, now it feels like I'm wearing athletic shoes with high tops. I tried the Danner pronghorns and they were about as light, but didn't fit my foot as well.

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a pair of un-insulated Danner Pronghorns, older pair but they've been pretty good. Insoles sucked, so I replaced them.

You'll see hit/miss reviews on Danners

I use them early season archery, antelope hunting, etc.

Next up is a 800g Pair of Irish Setters, don't know the model but I use them probably more than any other boot and will buy another pair when needed. These are probably 5-6 years old?

Than I have a pair of 1600g Irish Setters, HEAVY but they're my ice fishing boots. I wouldn't want to go hiking in them, but they are comfortable and I could walk a few miles without any problems.

Life is just one damned thing after another
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I think you need 2 pairs of boots. For summer and light weight loads I think the best hunting sneaking boot is the Lowa Renegrade. They are gortex and have soft soles that work great for hunting. Then for cold weather I would invest in a 400 gram pair of boots. I also recomend the liner sock and a pair of wool socks my preferenc is smartwool. These days there are a lot of options.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks to you guys with all your input.

It seems the consensus is go non-insulated for my intended use.

I was leaning that way anyway.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For our country and eastern NM you can't beat the Danner Pronghorns . I have one pair without insulation and another pair with insulation . The insulated ones look nearly new 'cause they don't get worn .

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

143 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 14idaho, 1_deuce, 2ndwind, 260Remguy, 23 invisible), 1,659 guests, and 976 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,211
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.