24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I said it was easy to measure groups, and or get a good idea as I like you don't get out a caliper and measure them either...grin

I know a lot of guyz at the range hit the steel and get to thinking they're Johhny Leather legs, problemo is the steel at our range are darn big hunks of steel.

(Hows that for I's)

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
BP-B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Sorry my mistake than, Like JWP said not to good of bullets for the 25s 277s. When Wildcat bullets was making bullets they had some great offerings.

I bought a 270 AM built for the 169.5 that had a BC of .740 and 195s with a BC .790 lucky for me I bought a bunch of these before Richard sold his business.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I did forget to say that while I don't carry a caliper I do a yard stick as that's tons better for the kinds of groups I normally shoot.. laugh

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have a local friend who went to a "Long Range Shooting" day at our nearby range. He shot a .338 Lapua belonging to one of the guys who were demonstrating how it's done. They ranged an 800-yard gong and Kestreled the wind, then punched the numbers into a program and clicked the scope.

My friend shot at the gong a couple of time (from a bench) and hit it both times. Now he is all excited about being a long-range shooter. His only two problems are that it's a 20" gong (2.5 MOA at 800) and he doesn't want to spend more than maybe $150 for a "tactical" variable that goes up to 20x or so. I believe he is going to mount it on one of the rifles he has in the closet, none of which he's ever shot beyond 200 yards, but hey, with a 20" gong it may not matter....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Yep every buddy wants to shoot long range tell they find out how much it cost to do it right. whistle

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by joecool544
Sorry my mistake than, Like JWP said not to good of bullets for the 25s 277s. When Wildcat bullets was making bullets they had some great offerings.

I bought a 270 AM built for the 169.5 that had a BC of .740 and 195s with a BC .790 lucky for me I bought a bunch of these before Richard sold his business.

No worries, Joe. I agree, like I mentioned above, that there aren't a lot of choices for long-range bullets from a .25 or .27, but there are a couple of decent options for each. Berger makes a good option and I was thinking about Wildcat, as well. I didn't know they went out of business. That's a shame. I'd like to shoot along side you any day, amigo. I'd sure learn a lot! smile

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Joecool544
Just thought I'd mention this although you probably already know.
A guy down in Nevada bought the business and is producing the heavy 7mm bullets and was hoping to bring the full lineup back. He is still operating under the Wildcat name.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
I did forget to say that while I don't carry a caliper I do a yard stick as that's tons better for the kinds of groups I normally shoot.. laugh

Dober

LOL, Dober. I don't believe a word you're sayin'. You use the sneaky tactic to get guys to shoot against you for money, don't you?

Dober (sulking): "Crap, buddy, I wish I could hit that 8'x8' sheet of plywood at 500 yards. What's that you say? You want to have a friendly wager on some LR shooting? OKAY!!" grin

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Jordon they didn't go out of buiness Richard sold the buiness, and Paul been a little slow a getting it going.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by dodgefan
Joecool544
Just thought I'd mention this although you probably already know.
A guy down in Nevada bought the business and is producing the heavy 7mm bullets and was hoping to bring the full lineup back. He is still operating under the Wildcat name.

Yes and I'm waiting for Paul to start making the 169s and 195s, than he said he was going to start in on the big .338s

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Figured you probably knew. Personally I hope somebody comes out with a heavy for caliber .257 that doesn't break the bank.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gotcha. Well that's good news, at least.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Well they are suppose to do the whole line up lets hope so, I would like to try some heavy's in my .257 Wby grin

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I was thinking along the same lines

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by joecool544
Yep every buddy wants to shoot long range tell they find out how much it cost to do it right. whistle

A lot of truth in that statement.

The original poster could go with a 270 STW. I happen to know this long drink of water that has one with a 5 to 25 power Schmidt and Bender scope on it. Ironically he shot his deer (a few weeks ago) at around 80 yards. Isn't that the way it works??? laugh

Don smile

Speed Kills - With the right bullet.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know of any place around me to shoot a 1000 yards but 600 yards is doable most of the time. I suppose a person could purchase a new .270 Winchester and shoot it a 1000 yards off in the distance to try and hit their target. They might even get lucky and score a hit or two out of 30 rounds but I seriously doubt it is going to happen. There is just a whole bunch to learn in order to take up that task and be successful with your results.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It cracks me up how many guys grab the old hunting rifle, strap on a Bushnell mega power scope and want to shoot 600 yards or more. Seriously, 99.99% of shooters couldn't hit an 8" plate at 600 yards with the most accurate rifle in the world. They don't have the ability or trigger time to do it right. I have some accurate rifles and have let guys try and try to hit stuff at 400-1,000 yards. They can't do it, even though the rifle and equipment are up to it.

I ran a .22-250 AI a while back at the 8" 1000 yard gong shooting 75 grain Hornady AMAX bullets. Wind was calm but would kick up in spurts. I had a 3 shot 3" group going and was really impressed with the little round. Shot #4 missed, due to a light wind and #5 ticked the edge. Just about any caliber can do long range, but the rifle and the nut behind it better be up to the task.

I recently ran into a guy that had a fancy custom $3,000 .308 and was shooting Federal Gold Medal match ammo through it. He hit all the forums and read everything on the internet about building an accurate rifle. The trouble was, he had NO ability to shoot it. He and his buddy went through two boxes of shells trying to hit clay pigeons on a hillside at 200-250 yards. I watched them with amusement as they talked amongst themselves about how poorly the rifle was shooting. I could tell they were flinching REALLY bad and had no ability to shoot well. They had the fancy range blanket and were shooting off a bipod. I asked them if I could have a whirl at it, since they were so frustrated. They kept tweaking the scope dials to "get it in". First shot I fired was a couple of inches left. I dialed in the scope and centered the next pigeon and did the same with the next three. I handed the rifle back to the two guys and told them it was "on" and to stop adjusting the scope and learn to squeeze the trigger. They still couldn't hit crap. I tried to teach them how to squeeze the trigger. Nope, couldn't do it. I gave up and left them there tweaking on the scope some more.

Working at the local rifle range, I see this all day long. It amazes me to no end. I have gone out with several guys that "think" they are 1,000 yard shooters. When I range their 1,000 yard targets, they are in the 400 yard range. Pretty embarrassing for them, to say the least. 1,000 yards or even 600 yards, is a long ways out there! It takes years of practice to hit consistently and LOTS of ammo down range. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Flinch, shooters up your way must be mighty bad. I have yet to have a newbie slide in behind one of my rifles and miss a target at 600 or even 800 yards. In a years time I usually have 30 or 40 guys come to shoot on my range. Any monkey can squeeze a trigger. The hard skill sets are ranging, dialing, and reading the wind.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Well said EddyBo
I get way more pleasure out of showing and helping people learn something that they want to learn, than sneering or talking down to them..
smile

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The first time my wife went prairie dog shooting she knocked over several in the 600 + range with her furthest at just over 900. The thing is she is a very poor judge of distance and I didn't tell her how far she was shooting. I'd just dial the scope and tell her how much to hold for wind. When we were done shooting and on the way back to the truck I told her how far she was shooting and she couldn't believe it.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
724 members (257Bob, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 77 invisible), 2,971 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,767
Posts18,401,467
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.