24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Flinch, won't argue w/your C/C comment, wonder if the plain Corelokt would be same/same vs. Hornday...they shoot sub moa in my #1 Ruger, not bad for a cheaper option.

H22 - Beautiful Bull sir - congrats, I hope to be lucky enough some day....

Rockchucker -also congrats, noticed as well leftie, tell us about your rifle as I assume it's custom.....thanks.

Merry Christmas all - and long live the 6.5s smile

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
my all around hunting rifle, chambered in 260
[Linked Image]

ill chase elk with it, my wife and daughter chase elk with a 7-08 and there aint enough difference between them to matter.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've done it with the swede. Wouldn't hesitate to do it again with any decent bullet about 120 gr. Or more.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
6.5 BR: I have no experience w/elk but I use 270/130 Core Lokts for whitetail, 100-200 lbs. Over the years I have observed they are a little tougher than Hornady ils, WHICH I USE. The Core Lokts work fine but the expansion is a little less than Hornady. (same cal. & wt)

That said, the Core Lokt should be PERFECTLY FINE on elk.

JWALL

There's a 260 Rem in every 270 Win > GRIN

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the info Jwall.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I run 140 grainers out of my 260 Rem at 2750 fps...

that is some serious penetration potential...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
6.5 BR: Just a little more info. I run the 130s at 3100fps or more in the 270s, no matter which bullet I use. Both the Hornady and Core Lokts work well but the Core Lokts opens a little less, which means penetration would be better.

IIRC 250 yds is about as far as I've shot a whitetail w/270. My preferred shot is broadside behind the shoulder. I don't take the straight on or the hole in one shots. Even with close shots both bullets work well but the Core Lokts give less bloodshot area which is good.

I've read a couple of times on the fire someone calling the Rems, core loss. That has never been my experience. I've not found any bullet fragments, all have been pass thrus.

NOTE, the 270 130 is the only Rem Core Lokt I've used to any extent and NO 6.5s. I expect you will test and compare your caliber and weight for terminal performance. I also expect you to find good results. I would like to know if you're not satisfied with them.

Good Luck with your SUB CALIBER > GRIN real big.

JWALL

An Old Handloader Deaf in Left Ear

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We've been using the 260 with great success on elk... stopped counting how many had fallen to the little guns at a half dozen... admittedly haven't seen a big bull shot with one yet. Based on the amount of damage and the penetration shown to date, I'd not hesitate to dump a big bill with a 260.

140 NPT, 140 SGK, and 140 NAB at MV from 2600 to 2750 all work fine. SGKs are the easiest to catch, they're pretty fragile. The Noslers, not so much.

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Matt Man: Fantastic, I certainly wish I could draw an elk tag.

I give ya'll a hard time from time to time, but it's all in fun.

Keep on keeping on. I like your bullet report also.

JWALL

There's a 260 in every 270 Win. > Grin

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
260 pushing factory 140 SGKs seemed to work okay. The more I shoot it, the more I leave the 300 WM in the safe. Just got the wife a compact for Christmas, and with the limited shooting I've done with it, it seems to look promising.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Note the 2nd cow was after we helped a guy track and gut a cow that he had shot about 10 times with a 270 shooting the never-fail Remington Core-Loks.

My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well I suppose one can not argue long against the success some have shown with their .260 caliber rifles. I once also took an elk under perfect conditions with a 25/06 but that rifle will never accompany me to the rocky mountains again for hunting elk, speed goats yes but elk no. I will stay with my chose caliber and that is the .338 diameter bullets going out of a .338/06 or my .338 Win mag.

Last edited by Tonk; 12/27/10.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have nothing against the 338 family.

The OP asked if the 260 worked on elk, and I gave testimony to my experience. IMHO the 260 works great on elk.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I too have my eye on a 260. But I do wonder when going small really starts to matter. If dropping to a 308, then a 7mm-08, then a 260 doesn't matter, when does it matter assuming decent shot opportunities to the boiler room? Just curious, nothing more. Can't argue with dead critters though! Look forward to loading one up.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can see where you are coming from. I felt the same way for a long time. One of the reasons I like the 260 so well is how well it mimics trajectory of the 300 WM. Higher BC also plays a roll for me, however, I say shoot what you are comfortable shooting.

If you are able to shoot a 460 Weatherby comfortably, and not flinch, but all means do so. 300 Win Mag is about my threshold for pain when it comes to recoil, and after shooting it a bit, I can manage it, however, it is not necessary, nor IMO recommendable for a beginner hunter to go out and get the biggest baddest gun he can find so he can show how large his huevos are.

There's a 243 in the safe that doesn't get used, it keeps the 300 WM company. YMMV, but from what I have seen out of a 260, it is going to be my "go to" for a long long time.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by JWALL

I've read a couple of times on the fire someone calling the Rems, core loss. That has never been my experience.

JWALL

I sat beside one of my friends (about 5 years ago) on a snowy hillside in Idaho and watched him shoot an average 6X5 bull at about 125 yards with a 7mm Rem mag. and 175gr. factory loaded Core Lokts. After the first shot (which hit perfectly behind the shoulders)the bull turned an walked uphill. My friend shot again and hit the bull right in the shoulders. The bull kept walking.....the third shot was also in the shoulders and the bull then turned downhill and walked about 40 yards before collapsing. He had to be shot in the neck a fourth time to die. The autopsy showed that all three 175gr. 7mm Core Lokts had mushroom early and big and none of them penetrated more than 2/3 of the way through the elk broadside. A 7mm Rem Mag. is a fine elk cartridge if you use good bullets and with good bullets, one shot anywhere in the chest cavity or in the shoulders is all you should need. I dont know about all Core Lokt bullets in all weights or all calibers, but the 175gr. 7mm bullet is far too soft.

Last edited by sundles; 12/28/10.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The "Core-Lokt" Remington sells now ain't the same bullet grandpappie used...

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All bullets are not created equal NOR behave similarly when impacting at varying speeds.

No doubt, the 7 mag is proven and Corelokts, yet the combo? Depends.

What I do know about them, I fired a 7mm TCU 14" handgun at point blank range into a creosote post and dug it out, it was the 150 gr, a bullet that IIRC Rem designed w/a dual bearing surface if you will, shorter riding surface area to lower friction.

None the less, I have that bullet somewhere, it looked 'Ad pic perfect' a NICE fat mushroom w/o fragmentation. Granted my MV was around 2,000 but I shot point blank range and it went thru alot of wood. I was actually fairly impressed. It was not 'field performance test' but it gave me confidence accuracy/trajectory aside, they WILL hold together well.

Mattman, when the 7/08 came out, the 140gr load actually used 139 Hornady's for a long time. Not sure if or how many other 'corelokt' loads might have used Hornady IL's but suffice to say NOW they latest 140 CL load is named 'NEW' and apparently is a different bullet. How it's construction might vary from older 'corelokts' or true corelokts - not Hornady's I cannot say.

What I do know is the 6.5 CL's fly flat, killed many deer w/120s, VERY effectively - as in all dropped on the spot w/6.5x55. In 140 gr in 6.5, I find they often are just more accurate and seem to hold up a good bit better on longer shots, like 400 yds, vs. the 120 version, and that likely is applicable to other bullets in that caliber as well.

Nice post/pics of the elk kills above.

I hear you PRM about 'when does going smaller' get too much so.

Yet my response is even though one may drop from 30 cal down to 6.5, when you use a 140 class bullet, your mass in the bullet is a great deal more than a 6mm, and often a good bit more than a 25 cal, so I think 6.5 is perhaps a 'threshold. Not that a good 25 or 6mm won't work w/good bullets, they will.

In the end, 'Good Shot placement/thru vitals + properly constructed bullets = dead critters' and that rule IMHO applies regardless of headstamp, paper ballistics, etc.

Every shooter has their limits and should know them. Inside that, every bullet has their's also, and when that is placed w/in it's 'window of effectiveness' if you will, it works.

I.E., A varmint bullet is NOT necessarily going to fail, or be WRONG, on a large animal "IF" the shooter KNOWS he must go for head/neck shots. Yet, for everyday use w/o the need to 'hold fire' on a variety of shot angles, true 'game bullet's" will provide more latitude in where you must hit to kill.

I think that 7 mag/175 CL elk, was dead on it's feet and just had not realized it yet smile Sometimes those big animals can absorb alot of lead before they give up the ghost.

That said, a Partition are Accubond, or even Barnes might be my pick on a fast Magnum round that might see duty at close range on large animals. I well recall Warren Page taking one at around 475yds w/7mm Mashburn using 175 partitions. Slower impact speed helsp penetration as well.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
sundles: no.1 I have no experience with elk period. MOST of my experience with core lokts has been with 270-130 06-150 and 6mm-100. On whitetail 100-200 lbs. they have performed extremely well.

Bob Hagel thot highly of them too and said "they were the best of the cup/core."(not verbatim) I UNDERSTAND that was 30 yrs. ago and things CAN change.

I have a STOCK of 270/130s from several yrs. back and I'll put them UP AGAINST any and ALL CUP-CORES. Again, deer not elk. I like and use Hornady ils. and the core lokts I have are tougher.

I think it was 260 rem guy or 6.5br I told at their velocities, the 140 core lokt SHOULD do well and I expected they would test them BEFORE shooting an elk.

We know that diff. calibers, diff. bullet wts, & diff. velocities, diff. lots can show VARITATION in performance.

Before I would use ANY cup/core on elk or larger game I would thoroughly test them on diff. media. (ABC NBC CNN et.al. TIC)
Especially since we KNOW of lot-lot variation in EVERYTHING.

I have NO REASON to disbelieve or doubt you, it just has not been my experience. MATT MAN may very well have the secret to the ?

I don't PRETEND to be an EXPERT or AUTHORITY and I don't want to be a KNOW IT ALL. Verbosity and Bloviation doesn't PROVE you know ANYTHING.

Just a thot to consider. If we don't fuel a fire it will go out.

JWALL

Verbosity and Bloviation doesn't prove you know anything. JW

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tonk
Well I suppose one can not argue long against the success some have shown with their .260 caliber rifles. I once also took an elk under perfect conditions with a 25/06 but that rifle will never accompany me to the rocky mountains again for hunting elk, speed goats yes but elk no. I will stay with my chose caliber and that is the .338 diameter bullets going out of a .338/06 or my .338 Win mag.

is a 260 an ideal elk round? no prolly not but with one in hand i wouldnt hesitate to go after elk......with good bullets it has no problem punching through an elks vitals and that is what matters....if you prefer to use a 338 have at it, ive got a 338-06 i would prolly use more if it didnt weight over 9 pounds ready to hunt....i really didnt think that build out to well crazy thinking i need to get either one of the Ruger Africans in 9.3x62 or get a long actioned Kimber and rebarrel it to such for my "big" rifle....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If your gonna chase elk with a 260, use 140s, NAB, NPT, HIL, in that order...

If your rifle won't seem to stabilize 140s, slap yourself, HARD, for settling for a 9 twist and drop down to a 130 or 129 of similar construction.

If you don't have the ability to reload, get Federal Premium 140 SGKs, and start saving for a press. The SGK will NOT punch through heavy bone and keep trucking, nor will it work to shoot them up the azz with. Stick it in the boiler room, and schitt's gonna die, and die quick...

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
679 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,899 guests, and 1,421 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,478
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.