Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It is a nice looking gun but i still stand by my earlier value estimate of around 6 to 7 hundred simply because of the pad, the polished bolt and the crack.. Now keep in mind these things do not detract at all from the usability of the gun... That is still a nice gun but just will not bring the higher dollars of a collector gun. You may be able to find someone who wants a gun like that for hunting and is willing to spend more but I would suspect not much more.

I would suggest hunting with it and enjoying owning a good quality firearm...

enjoy

Last edited by Sako; 12/27/10.

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks for your coments guys. I think Reelman is right about his statement, "One thing for sure about transitions are that nothing is for sure!" Sako, I am thinking the polished bluing on the reciever and the complete rebluing is the biggest downfall to this rifle + polished bolt (everything that takes away from its originality takes collector value away). A person could always find a nice all original stock if they put the time and effort into it. Maybe one like this:
[Linked Image]
All original with original sling, never been touched (just hunted with). Like I always say, wood can always be changed but once the metal has been messed with the collector value goes out the window. Am I right? Take care, bsa.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Finding the correct stock can sometimes be nearly impossible and EXPENSIVE! Especially for a rifle like that without the cloverleaf tang. Yes a non-cloverleaf tang is easier to find but then you also would need to find one with a low comb and the correct checkering and LPR on the checkering as these changed throughout the M70's production run.

I have been looking for a transition rifle that has been screwed up for a long time to make a 35 Whalen out of but I refuse to cut up an original. THe rifle you picture would be a good candidate but I want the cloverleaf tang as I just like the looks of them better.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Reelman: The "clover-leaf tang" is something that CAN NOT easily be swindled/riflesmithed/conjured up! The type of tang that is correctly/inherently displayed on this action I am certain was not made from a later style tapered tang!
The serial number and the action tang type usually go hand and hand - in this case and overall.
The year 1948 was THE year that the tang "style" began to change form the dual radius ("clover-leaf") to the "tapered" style.
As with most all changes to the pre-64 Winchester Model 70 there are some exceptions and variations to the dates of inclusion/instigation.
I simply have never seen or heard of anyone "changing" the clover-leaf (dual radiused) tang to the tapered tang.
Why - anyone doing so would incurr an easily detectable and significantly value diminishing bunch of work.
The tang looks correct to me.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Bsa1917hunter: Back in 1995 I began work on a "transition" Model 70 - I wanted to turn this handsome, safe and smooth action into my dream Rifle.
I did.
I had looked for many years and finally found a transition Model 70 action that was made the same month I was born (July 1947) - and once found I began paying away for a new barrel, custom stock and the Riflesmithing!
I chose a 25" custom high quality barrel and the caliber I wanted was 280 Remington!
I could NOT be happier with this Rifle - I have harvested all manner of game with it including a 13 point Whitetail, several Antelope including a 15 1/2" trophy, Elk, Bear, Mule Deer and more.
The three things I like most about my custom transition Model 70 are:
#1) The "butter/silky" smooth action.
#2) The absolute safeness of the safety lever - I left the original small "transition" style safety as was - I think this safety lever is the worlds safest (toughest to accidentally move!) safety lever.
#3) The stunning beauty of the action!
In your friends case he has a VERY attractive (even though re-finished) Rifle and I bet it shoots well and its again worth mentioning - a very safe Hunting Rifle that holds a LOT of bullets (six!)!
Just last week I saw a "piggy" (abused and altered) 1960's era Featherweight Model 70 in caliber 30/06 sell for $575.00!
Cash sale this!
I would estimate that a non-hurried seller could get $750.00 for the Rifle in question.
Personally I would take it Hunting (carefully) as opposed to selling it or further customizing it!
You are a good friend to travel that distance to aid your friend!
Long live the pre-64 Winchester Model 70's!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Varmintguy, my friend will be happy to read your post. I appreciate your kind words. Take care my friend, bsa.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Transitions are just that, transitions. They are a stepping stone from old to newer. There are lots of varieties and inconsistencies. Roger Rule states the tapered tang appeared at sn 87,700 approx for standard calibers.

ETA: Roger also states that 87,700 is the start of type III

The reblue kills the value of that gun. It is most likley $600-$725 to the right buyer.

Last edited by sbrmike; 12/27/10.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Varmintguy, I agree that it would be extremely difficult, and expensive, to change it from cloverleaf to oval and also pretty stupid as it would lower the value as most people greatly prefer the cloverleaf tang. I was not trying to imply that anything was "messed around" with this rifle, just that it was an odd variety.

I also have a dream of someday building my ultimate rifle and there would be only one action I would build an ultimate rifle on and that's a transition M70!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
x

Last edited by reelman; 12/27/10.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
x

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
OK let's try this again with actual pictures!

Here are some transition era M70's you don't see everyday.

[Linked Image]

375 H&H without rear sight. cloverleaf tang with type II safety

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
[Linked Image]
257 Super Grade Carbine 66XXX

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
[Linked Image]

22Hornet Carbine 88XXX Oval tang with type II safety.
[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
[Linked Image]

257 Standard 85XXX Cloverleaf tang with type III safety

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
[Linked Image]
270 Super Grade 86XXX

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (Ashworth, 35, Bigd7378, 7mm_Loco, 12 invisible), 1,414 guests, and 830 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,256
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.