Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#4764322 - 12/31/10 UNC wins wild Music City Bowl in 2OT  
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,211
Soulfly Offline
Campfire Guide
Soulfly  Offline
Campfire Guide

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,211
The Buckeye State
Oh man, for thoes who didnt see it, what a train wreck for both teams. If this keeps up the Tenn coach will look like he;s 100 yrs old by next year.

ďI had a sick feeling when that thing hit zero because Iíve been there. I didnít celebrate this time,Ē Dooley said.


Linky


A lap dance is sooooo much better when the stripper is crying
AIH 300 L
#4764327 - 12/31/10 Re: UNC wins wild Music City Bowl in 2OT [Re: Soulfly]  
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 62,042
isaac Offline
Campfire Oracle
isaac  Offline
Campfire Oracle

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 62,042
Northern Virginia
what a train wreck for both teams.
===================

That's a fact. It was rather patheic to watch,actually. Maybe some good games today can finally get us into next weeks potential.


The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward




#4764366 - 12/31/10 Re: UNC wins wild Music City Bowl in 2OT [Re: isaac]  
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 18,508
JohnMoses Offline
Campfire Kahuna
JohnMoses  Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Joined: May 2009
Posts: 18,508
Mississippi
The officiating matched the play. Never seen a penalty enforced after a play was whistled dead in which no flag was thrown. (too many men on the field for NC)

Only to be enforced after a clock review that confirmed time had expired.

By using the previous plays unacknowledged penalty, they were able to give NC another chance since a game cannot end on a penalty of that type, even though no flags were thrown nor was any announcement made by the umpire declaring there was a penalty on the play until after the review for time...

Spoke with Al Graning who is a former SEC official and was on the NCAA Rules committee for a number of years. He said they f-d up big time.

Oh well.

#4764422 - 12/31/10 Re: UNC wins wild Music City Bowl in 2OT [Re: Soulfly]  
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 33,863
byc Offline
Campfire Oracle
byc  Offline
Campfire Oracle

Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 33,863
VA 2 SC
I liked it! smile


Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!


#4764495 - 12/31/10 Re: UNC wins wild Music City Bowl in 2OT [Re: JohnMoses]  
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 13,957
Foxbat Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Foxbat  Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 13,957
Spring Hill, FL
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
The officiating matched the play. Never seen a penalty enforced after a play was whistled dead in which no flag was thrown. (too many men on the field for NC)

Only to be enforced after a clock review that confirmed time had expired.

By using the previous plays unacknowledged penalty, they were able to give NC another chance since a game cannot end on a penalty of that type, even though no flags were thrown nor was any announcement made by the umpire declaring there was a penalty on the play until after the review for time...

Spoke with Al Graning who is a former SEC official and was on the NCAA Rules committee for a number of years. He said they f-d up big time.

Oh well.



A game can't end on a DEFENSIVE penalty. The call was never that the time was put back on because of the penalty, it was because the replay booth believed 1 second was left when the spike hit the ground.

Rewatch the ending. The referee NEVER says that time is being put back on because of the penalty.

The penalty for "too many men on the field", only effected where the ball was spotted and had ZERO to do with time.

By your argument above, the penalty should not have been called IF it wasn't flagged, but the outcome would have been that UNC would have taken their FG attempt 5 yards closer.

Not to mention your original assertion above that you've never seen a penalty without a flag, after the play was blown dead....
Did you not see the end of the Tenn-LSU game this year? No flag, illegal participation only called after play/game over and the replay official called down to the referee that TN had too many men on the field.




[Linked Image]



#4764498 - 12/31/10 Re: UNC wins wild Music City Bowl in 2OT [Re: Foxbat]  
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 62,042
isaac Offline
Campfire Oracle
isaac  Offline
Campfire Oracle

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 62,042
Northern Virginia
You have some work ahead of you,JM!!


The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward




#4764518 - 12/31/10 Re: UNC wins wild Music City Bowl in 2OT [Re: isaac]  
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 33,863
byc Offline
Campfire Oracle
byc  Offline
Campfire Oracle

Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 33,863
VA 2 SC
Yup---It was indeed the spike that spiked the whole thing. wink

Really does make you wonder what Butch Davis might have had were it not for all the ineligibles. Also, I like the way TJ Yates plays football. Thinking we may just see him on Sundays.


Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!


#4764536 - 12/31/10 Re: UNC wins wild Music City Bowl in 2OT [Re: byc]  
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,211
Soulfly Offline
Campfire Guide
Soulfly  Offline
Campfire Guide

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,211
The Buckeye State
I am still confused about the guy from K-St getting a flag for saluting and no flag in this game they saluted after every stinking TD and no flags?? Both Big 10 crews too.


A lap dance is sooooo much better when the stripper is crying
#4764557 - 12/31/10 Re: UNC wins wild Music City Bowl in 2OT [Re: Soulfly]  
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,742
ExpatFromOK Offline
Campfire Guide
ExpatFromOK  Offline
Campfire Guide

Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,742
Oklahoma, Canadian River
Originally Posted by 270LightningBLR
I am still confused about the guy from K-St getting a flag for saluting and no flag in this game they saluted after every stinking TD and no flags?? Both Big 10 crews too.


K-State got robbed. That call is an embarassment.

Expat


"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
#4764558 - 12/31/10 Re: UNC wins wild Music City Bowl in 2OT [Re: ExpatFromOK]  
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,211
Soulfly Offline
Campfire Guide
Soulfly  Offline
Campfire Guide

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,211
The Buckeye State
Oh I can agree with that


A lap dance is sooooo much better when the stripper is crying
#4764564 - 12/31/10 Re: UNC wins wild Music City Bowl in 2OT [Re: Soulfly]  
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 33,863
byc Offline
Campfire Oracle
byc  Offline
Campfire Oracle

Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 33,863
VA 2 SC
Originally Posted by 270LightningBLR
I am still confused about the guy from K-St getting a flag for saluting and no flag in this game they saluted after every stinking TD and no flags?? Both Big 10 crews too.


That was total BS! This whole excessive celebration thing needs its own manual. It's just plain silly.


Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!


#4764569 - 12/31/10 Re: UNC wins wild Music City Bowl in 2OT [Re: byc]  
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,211
Soulfly Offline
Campfire Guide
Soulfly  Offline
Campfire Guide

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,211
The Buckeye State
Originally Posted by byc
Originally Posted by 270LightningBLR
I am still confused about the guy from K-St getting a flag for saluting and no flag in this game they saluted after every stinking TD and no flags?? Both Big 10 crews too.


That was total BS! This whole excessive celebration thing needs its own manual. It's just plain silly.


Agreed, it is getting pretty bad


A lap dance is sooooo much better when the stripper is crying
#4764593 - 12/31/10 Re: UNC wins wild Music City Bowl in 2OT [Re: Soulfly]  
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,300
dh1 Offline
Campfire Regular
dh1  Offline
Campfire Regular

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,300
PA
NC coach believes the game to be a classic that will be watched 100yrs from now on ESPN Classic. Baloney.

#4764614 - 12/31/10 Re: UNC wins wild Music City Bowl in 2OT [Re: dh1]  
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 62,042
isaac Offline
Campfire Oracle
isaac  Offline
Campfire Oracle

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 62,042
Northern Virginia
For bloopers,maybe.


The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward




#4764813 - 12/31/10 Re: UNC wins wild Music City Bowl in 2OT [Re: isaac]  
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 18,508
JohnMoses Offline
Campfire Kahuna
JohnMoses  Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Joined: May 2009
Posts: 18,508
Mississippi
Was time not put back on the clock foxbat? It read zero after he spiked the ball....

Time was put back on the clock with no replay showing any was left.

The bogus no call that was enforced on the following play was used to bolster their position that NC still had a play left regardless, so as to mute criticism of the questionable time call, making it irrelevant.

You cannot call or enforce a penalty after the fact by using instant replay.

Tell me how an official can watch the clock and a guy spike the ball and know when it touched the ground and what the clock said.

I never saw a replay showing the official time during that play. Guess we'll have to take their word for it.

#4765142 - 12/31/10 Re: UNC wins wild Music City Bowl in 2OT [Re: JohnMoses]  
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 13,957
Foxbat Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Foxbat  Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 13,957
Spring Hill, FL
Bob Davie said repeatedly while the play was being replayed that ESPN's slowmo showed there was 1 second left on the clock when the spike hit the turf.

The Head Referee in his explanation said specifically that 1 second was shown on the replay when the ball was spiked.

The penalty was a separate issue. Because is was "too many men on the field" rather than a pre snap illegal participation for "too many men in the huddle", had the replay showed the clock at zero when the ball was spiked, the penalty could not have had time placed back on the clock, because it was a post snap offensive penalty. Tenn would have been able to decline the penalty and the game would have ended. TN accepted the penalty because the 1 second was placed back on solely because of the snap and it left them with no choice but to back UNC up 5 yards and hope for a miss.

Further proof that the 1 second was put on for the spike and not a pre snap penalty is the very fact that only 1 second was put back on, rather than 5 seconds as would have been the case in a too many men in the huddle pre-snap penalty.

The only way an offensive penalty can halt the last play of the game is if it is a pre snap penalty. All other offensive penalties can be declined by the defense and game is over.

Quote
You cannot call or enforce a penalty after the fact by using instant replay.


As I said, this exact thing occurred in the LSU-TENN game. The SEC said that is a reviewable call.

Quote
Tell me how an official can watch the clock and a guy spike the ball and know when it touched the ground and what the clock said.


This is a reviewable call. The replay official has full ability to look at the replay and ascertain if time was left when the ball hit the ground.

This same thing happened in the Nebraska-Texas game last year.


[Linked Image]



#4765227 - 12/31/10 Re: UNC wins wild Music City Bowl in 2OT [Re: JohnMoses]  
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 13,957
Foxbat Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Foxbat  Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 13,957
Spring Hill, FL
Quote

You cannot call or enforce a penalty after the fact by using instant replay.


JM, watch this.....

Game ends around the :50 mark.

No flag...game over... no effort by the refs to claim there was a penalty.

Now... go to the 1:47 mark almost a minute after the game ends and you see the head referee run over to take a call from the replay official, who tells him that Tenn had too many men on the field.



[Linked Image]




Moderated by  RickBin, SYSOP 

AIH 160 1
Who's Online Now
479 registered members (204guy, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1234, 300jimmy, 18sgd99, 51 invisible), 1,335 guests, and 523 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod









Copyright © 2000-2017 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.073s Queries: 14 (0.003s) Memory: 1.0009 MB (Peak: 1.2596 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2017-09-21 15:49:54 UTC