Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Soulfly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Oh man, for thoes who didnt see it, what a train wreck for both teams. If this keeps up the Tenn coach will look like he;s 100 yrs old by next year.

�I had a sick feeling when that thing hit zero because I�ve been there. I didn�t celebrate this time,� Dooley said.

Linky

A lap dance is sooooo much better when the stripper is crying
BP-B2

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
what a train wreck for both teams.
===================

That's a fact. It was rather patheic to watch,actually. Maybe some good games today can finally get us into next weeks potential.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The officiating matched the play. Never seen a penalty enforced after a play was whistled dead in which no flag was thrown. (too many men on the field for NC)

Only to be enforced after a clock review that confirmed time had expired.

By using the previous plays unacknowledged penalty, they were able to give NC another chance since a game cannot end on a penalty of that type, even though no flags were thrown nor was any announcement made by the umpire declaring there was a penalty on the play until after the review for time...

Spoke with Al Graning who is a former SEC official and was on the NCAA Rules committee for a number of years. He said they f-d up big time.

Oh well.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I liked it! smile

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
The officiating matched the play. Never seen a penalty enforced after a play was whistled dead in which no flag was thrown. (too many men on the field for NC)

Only to be enforced after a clock review that confirmed time had expired.

By using the previous plays unacknowledged penalty, they were able to give NC another chance since a game cannot end on a penalty of that type, even though no flags were thrown nor was any announcement made by the umpire declaring there was a penalty on the play until after the review for time...

Spoke with Al Graning who is a former SEC official and was on the NCAA Rules committee for a number of years. He said they f-d up big time.

Oh well.

A game can't end on a DEFENSIVE penalty. The call was never that the time was put back on because of the penalty, it was because the replay booth believed 1 second was left when the spike hit the ground.

Rewatch the ending. The referee NEVER says that time is being put back on because of the penalty.

The penalty for "too many men on the field", only effected where the ball was spotted and had ZERO to do with time.

By your argument above, the penalty should not have been called IF it wasn't flagged, but the outcome would have been that UNC would have taken their FG attempt 5 yards closer.

Not to mention your original assertion above that you've never seen a penalty without a flag, after the play was blown dead....
Did you not see the end of the Tenn-LSU game this year? No flag, illegal participation only called after play/game over and the replay official called down to the referee that TN had too many men on the field.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
You have some work ahead of you,JM!!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yup---It was indeed the spike that spiked the whole thing. wink

Really does make you wonder what Butch Davis might have had were it not for all the ineligibles. Also, I like the way TJ Yates plays football. Thinking we may just see him on Sundays.

Go Nats!!!!

Soulfly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I am still confused about the guy from K-St getting a flag for saluting and no flag in this game they saluted after every stinking TD and no flags?? Both Big 10 crews too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 270LightningBLR
I am still confused about the guy from K-St getting a flag for saluting and no flag in this game they saluted after every stinking TD and no flags?? Both Big 10 crews too.

K-State got robbed. That call is an embarassment.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Soulfly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Oh I can agree with that

IC B3

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

That was total BS! This whole excessive celebration thing needs its own manual. It's just plain silly.

Go Nats!!!!

Soulfly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by byc

That was total BS! This whole excessive celebration thing needs its own manual. It's just plain silly.

Agreed, it is getting pretty bad

dh1 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
NC coach believes the game to be a classic that will be watched 100yrs from now on ESPN Classic. Baloney.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
For bloopers,maybe.

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Was time not put back on the clock foxbat? It read zero after he spiked the ball....

Time was put back on the clock with no replay showing any was left.

The bogus no call that was enforced on the following play was used to bolster their position that NC still had a play left regardless, so as to mute criticism of the questionable time call, making it irrelevant.

You cannot call or enforce a penalty after the fact by using instant replay.

Tell me how an official can watch the clock and a guy spike the ball and know when it touched the ground and what the clock said.

I never saw a replay showing the official time during that play. Guess we'll have to take their word for it.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Bob Davie said repeatedly while the play was being replayed that ESPN's slowmo showed there was 1 second left on the clock when the spike hit the turf.

The Head Referee in his explanation said specifically that 1 second was shown on the replay when the ball was spiked.

The penalty was a separate issue. Because is was "too many men on the field" rather than a pre snap illegal participation for "too many men in the huddle", had the replay showed the clock at zero when the ball was spiked, the penalty could not have had time placed back on the clock, because it was a post snap offensive penalty. Tenn would have been able to decline the penalty and the game would have ended. TN accepted the penalty because the 1 second was placed back on solely because of the snap and it left them with no choice but to back UNC up 5 yards and hope for a miss.

Further proof that the 1 second was put on for the spike and not a pre snap penalty is the very fact that only 1 second was put back on, rather than 5 seconds as would have been the case in a too many men in the huddle pre-snap penalty.

The only way an offensive penalty can halt the last play of the game is if it is a pre snap penalty. All other offensive penalties can be declined by the defense and game is over.

As I said, this exact thing occurred in the LSU-TENN game. The SEC said that is a reviewable call.

Tell me how an official can watch the clock and a guy spike the ball and know when it touched the ground and what the clock said.

This is a reviewable call. The replay official has full ability to look at the replay and ascertain if time was left when the ball hit the ground.

This same thing happened in the Nebraska-Texas game last year.

[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

JM, watch this.....

Game ends around the :50 mark.

No flag...game over... no effort by the refs to claim there was a penalty.

Now... go to the 1:47 mark almost a minute after the game ends and you see the head referee run over to take a call from the replay official, who tells him that Tenn had too many men on the field.

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
645 members (01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 69 invisible), 2,771 guests, and 1,368 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,654
Posts18,399,211
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.