Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I have a batch of 223 brass that is a little oversize lengthwise. Is a trim die/file better than a regular trimmer?

Last edited by m1rifleman; 12/27/10.

Those who would disrespect our flag have never been handed a folded one.

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.

When in the Course of human events......
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Put your $$ in a decent case trimmer...

You'll need it down the road if you reload more..

Redding or Forster are good choices

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Lyman makes a good trimmer also.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
There are trimmers and there are trimmers. My only first hand experience is with a manually operated, hand-crank trimmer and both of the ones I've had sucked. The results were really inconsistent case to case, lot of variation in length. I can do a much better job, and faster, with a file/trim die. A high end power trimmer might be a different story.

What I do when I can is start out with a Lee cutter/gauge setup to initially trim virgin brass to length, then size with an RCBS X die set.

Lee will make those cutters/gauges in anything .22 caliber and up to most any length you like and match the shellholder to the casehead you want to use.

RCBS is not so accommodating with the X dies. You gotta pick a caliber they already offer.

If there are no X dies available, then I go with a standard die set and a file/trim die.

Someday I may buy a power trimmer but I'd get more bang for my reloading buck from a power scale / powder dispenser setup so that's higher on my priority spending list.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I like the RCBS Pro Trim. It has a 1/2" shaft on it and I just clamp the three jaw chuck of my variable speed 1/2" drill on the shaft and trim a case every 5 seconds(Max).

Lyman's has a 1/2" shaft also, drill will attach same way.

FORGET THE TRIM DIE!

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by m1rifleman
I have a batch of 223 brass that is a little oversize lengthwise. Is a trim die/file better than a regular trimmer?

Lee's Zip Trim works for me.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
All you need is a Lee trimmer for less than $10. Works better than all those expensive RCBS, Lyman, and others... If you have a lot of cases to do, and a lot to trim off, then run it in a drill, but if not I would just do it by hand.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I bought a trim die for 30/06 several decades ago and used it only a few times. I did not like it at all. I went to an RCBS trimmer that I still have. I took off the hand crank and put the shaft in my cordless drill. It works great but it must be readjusted every time I change chamberings. I recently went to the Lee system and love it. I use the universal shell holder in a cordless drill and can trim and champher very quickly and very uniformly without having to readjust everything all the time. I wish I had gone to the Lee system years ago.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Getting back to the original question...

If you have a few cases to size, a trim die is probably as fast to set up as a case trimmer. If you're trimming nickle plated cases, you won't ruin a cutter if you're using a trim die. Some trimmers don't always cut the case mouth perfectly square while a trim die always does. A trim die and file is cheaper than a lot of case trimmers. If you're trying to make say a 357 Herrett case out of 30-30 brass, it's a lot easier to shorten the case with a hacksaw and file than it would be to use a trimmer to remove 1/4 inch. There is no adjustment needed when setting up a trim die; just use the appropriate shell holder, adjust the die so the shell holder meets the die when the ram comes up and you're in business.

I have a Redding hand operated case trimmer which I use at times. I also have an RCBS powerd unit for trimming large quantities of cases. Despite being well equipped, I have quite a few trim dies that I use on a regular basis.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use a trim die to set the length for .223 brass. I had a large number of Lake City brass given to me and I have probably sized up 500 pieces of brass with it. I have never used a case trimmer. I have only used a trim die. I have one for most of the calibers I reload. I don't plan on getting a trimmer just more trim dies. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I use the Lee for most of my small volume trimming, but for volume .223 trimming I use a Possum Hollow trimmer. It fits over the shoulder of the case. By using the drill adapter, I can trim faster an easier than with anything else I have tried. It is relatively inexpensive and fits a family of cartridges. The .223 also works on .222, .221 Fireball, 17 Remington, etc.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Lee trimmers are a PITA for anything more than about 50 brass at a time!
I switched to RCBS trim-pro and attached a corded drill (or cordless but that wasn't as good a fit on my setup) and wish I did a lot sooner!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Trim die market has faded in the face of fancier trimmers but they work very well, do a very good job and it's virtually impossible to screw up with them. I have a few old trim dies, sorta wish I had a few more. But, I also have two hand crankers and some Lee trimmers too. Like 'em all, so...that's enough I suppose.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
When I have a large number of cases to trim, I take them over to my buddy's house, he's got a Dillon case trimmer. It takes the pain out of it. I understand a Gracey is a lot better and easier, but that Dillon is pretty nice, too. It uses an electric motor on a specialty trim die, and it's slick.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a trim die, but have since gone to batch processing with a modified Lee setup. Basically, I use a drill press. It takes a little while to get everything on center to the quill, and the depth set, but once set up, then I can crank through cases until my arm falls off.
I'm hoping sometime soon I can get one of those 3-way trimmer heads and try that. After the trim, there's still inside and outside chamfer. Overall, tho, the results are pretty good.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by MarkD
Lee trimmers are a PITA for anything more than about 50 brass at a time!
I switched to RCBS trim-pro and attached a corded drill (or cordless but that wasn't as good a fit on my setup) and wish I did a lot sooner!

You can run the Lee Trimmer in a drill too. Takes about 2 minutes to set up. The big advantage of the Lee is that there is no length set up, and about zero risk of trimming to the wrong length or too short. I would use the Lee even if I had 1000 cases to trim.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
After you trim with your Lee, in your drill, just grab your inside-outside champher, run it one way and then the other, then grab a small piece of scotchbrite pad and buff the whole case. Go's quick and you do a lot of things while you have the brass chucked up. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ron_AKA
All you need is a Lee trimmer for less than $10. Works better than all those expensive RCBS, Lyman, and others... If you have a lot of cases to do, and a lot to trim off, then run it in a drill, but if not I would just do it by hand.

x2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Have never used a trim die but I can see where they might be more precise/consistent. Both my RCBS and Lee Zip Trip have given occasional inconsistent results. I blame myself for most of the problem. Noticed awhile back that the cases are sometimes not fully secured or secured off center before trimming. I now try to pay special attention to setting the cases up properly.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

All things being equal(which they ain't) a trim die relies on literal outside forces,to curtail length. Such things will skew concentricity and neck tension,as well as mar projectiles.

A rotary trimmer does not on the average,though they are not all equals. In fairness,the worst rotary,easily trumps the best trim die.

Hint..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 1,041 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,314
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.