Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by bcp

Looks like they did it right.... landed right in the truck!

Hemi

BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
man, those guys was just ate up with the dumbass, weren't they?

we usually just let hurricanes handle palm tree removal

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
If you have access to a high lift jack, or a hand winch, you can try using this as an aid to digging the stumps out. Has worked for me well in the past.
Only really a consideration if the stump is tall enough to gain any appreciable leverage to make the job easier (why I leave about 5-6 foot of stump when I've cut down trees), and there is a solid anchor point near-by that you can run your line to.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did this twice in Scottsdale a few years back.

#1. Used some large (more than 1") and long (18" +) old style auger bits to drill deep holes in a circle pattern (and within the circle) about the overall diameter of a big power auger like they use on Bobcats or the trucks that plant telephone poles. Did that to open/weaken the circular area as deep as possible. May need to do two or three circles, depending on diameter of stump. Brought in the power auger and drilled out a big hole(s) in the stump. Used chain saw to cut sideways from the holes - to get at little feeders and shred as many as possible. Pulled the remainder out with a cable/chain and the Bobcat.

#2. Dug deep and wide around the outside of stump with a rented medium sized backhoe - went as deep as feasible, cutting some roots in process. Used the chain saw to cut down and across the many feeders. Dug some more with backhoe. Cut some more - until through most all of the underside. Yanked out the remainder with cable/chain and backhoe.

A lot of work either way, but let your brain and the machines do the heavy stuff. It was in summer - good to have the pool nearby.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Since they finally got it loaded just simply drive off and dump it somewhere.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've rented stump grinders from Home Depot and they work just great.

You could litterly bury the grinder up to the handles in the stump hole if you wanted to.........and they are FAST!

Here's a video:

http://bcove.me/o1c98bwa

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In that loose Florida sand, has any thought of just attaching a chain to it and a 4 X 4 and yanking it out?

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I just had four large Monterey pines removed from my back yard. The tree company charged about $200 per stump to grind them. The small grinders they use are about the size of a large rototiller, or walk behind ditch digger. I'd at least get a professional estimate before going DIY.

Palms are really a pain. I much rather take down 200+ foot tall redwoods and Doug firs, if it don't take a D-7 at a minimum to move the butt, it ain't a tree.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hatari
In that loose Florida sand, has any thought of just attaching a chain to it and a 4 X 4 and yanking it out?

You mean like the guy in the video above did??

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nemesis
Originally Posted by hatari

You mean like the guy in the video above did??

the theory is sound......you just need a longer chain grin

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Oh.....5# C4 at 0600 hrs. should do it! Then...your neighbors wouldn't be late for work!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by bcp

that brought back some memories.
I have one just like that in the front yard now.
It has become a home for generations of the same pigeon family.
The pigeons are so tame they don't bother to fly around us.
Tuff decisions.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Originally Posted by bcp

that brought back some memories.
I have one just like that in the front yard now.
It has become a home for generations of the same pigeon family.
The pigeons are so tame they don't bother to fly around us.
Tuff decisions.

Now that is some real planning.

NRA Lifetime Member
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
671 members (16Racing, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 75 invisible), 2,658 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,612
Posts18,398,407
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.