Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Ditto on the Atlas Snowshoes. There are lots of snowshoes that work fine on reasonable level ground. Even fair numbers that work OK going up and down. But when it comes to side hilling, those Atlas shoes with their synthetic bindings are ankle stress savers of the first order when spending a day in the mountains. E

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That Coyote/scenery shot is a pretty incredible picture Pat.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Ditto on the Atlas Snowshoes. There are lots of snowshoes that work fine on reasonable level ground. Even fair numbers that work OK going up and down. But when it comes to side hilling, those Atlas shoes with their synthetic bindings are ankle stress savers of the first order when spending a day in the mountains. E

The bindings are the main reason I have gone to Northern Lites over Atlas. Atlas's bindings are much too stiff and ridgid for my liking. I did wear out a number of pairs of older Atlas 'shoes though.

For serious sidehills in mountaineering type applications, nothing IMO comes close to the MSR Lightning Ascents with the searated edges as well as an agressive crampon.

The old Sherpa's like in Pat's photos were as good as snowshoes ever got. I had Sherpa Bigfoot and Featherweight models and foolishly sold them to get newer snowshoes and actually went backwards in technology.

Ed T

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
We like our MSR out here too but we use the tails quite a bit with a pack on. The snow in Western Oregon even on Hood is wetter than Central Oregon. So the tails help keep you up a little more on the flats. I have never had a problem with the tails. But I sure like the crampons on packed snow and ice. Also great for side hilling and climbing. Lot of options like any thing don't think there is one better than the other all personal choice. As along as the bindings fit and are tight.

Last edited by ehunter; 01/04/11.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I do like the Sherpas myself. I've got two pair of 30s and one pair of 36ers. Having a truly good used gear store is a blessing. I passed over a pair of 25s a couple of years ago. I won't make that mistake again.

IC B2

F
Foxtrot Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I'm getting the feeling that buying snowshoes will be no different than other gear and there will be some degree of trial and error involved. Glad I can rent before I buy!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
FWIW I have been in contact with MSR/Cascade Design last week. Their shoes are made here in the US. I have a pair of Denali EVO Ascents coming to try out for the season

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Our family runs the Denali Evo Ascents. The Ascent feature is really nice for steep uphill climbing. We are happy with them but they are a little noisy when on crusty snow due to the plastic construction.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Following a tip from Ed T a few years back I got a pair of Northern Lites and have nothing but good things to say about them. I've been in some decent terrain with them and think the newer MSR would be better for a seriuos Mnt. shoe, but for everything else, the NL's are awesome. I went with the Tundra model as they are so damn light. They are very easy to walk in and do a decent job of keeping my 210 lbs up in fresh snow.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

For serious sidehills in mountaineering type applications, nothing IMO comes close to the MSR Lightning Ascents with the searated edges as well as an agressive crampon.

[/quote]

Ed,

What do you consider serious sidehills? This thread is informative for me....I have very little snowshoe experience, but am considering getting some for use in Idaho backcountry. Cabin fever sucks. I presume your recommendation for the Northern Lites is weight driven, and the MSR's are more durable, better traction, but heavier?

IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
The bigger the better if you go off trail. Rather than go with a certain design I'd follow the deepest discounts.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Steve,

The Northern Lites have been very durable for me. I have used them in some pretty steep country while elk hunting. (I tend to stick to the ridges when I have a choice, when hunting I go where the elk are)

The MSR Lightning Ascents have the aluminium frame with the searated edges and a more argessive crampon so they are better on side hills. Snowshoes in general suck on sidehills, reguardless of how burly the crampon is. The 'shoe wants to pivot to being perpendicular to the fall line. Thats where the searated edges have an advantage.

As fas as what I mean by steep, I say anything steeper than 35 degrees, which may not sound too steep but in fact is getting pretty darn steep. On steep traverses over snow, I have always prefered skis.

Another factor to keep in mind on showshoes is whether the bindings are free pivoting hinge or have a tension bar of sorts. Having used both kinds extensively, I much prefer a torsion bar set up. My reason is the tension bar snaps the 'shoe up as it is unweighted. This allows for more effecient forward motion and allows for much more efficient backing up. If you try to back up in a free pivot 'shoe, the tail drops straight down as you unweight it, making it quits cumbersome. Obviously, one doesn't spend much time backing up, but this can come into play when dragging an animal.

The disadvantage to a torsion bar is it will, in loose snow, throw it up on your back side.

As a matter of refrence, MSR's, and the old Sherpa's are free pivoting. Atlas, Northern Lites, Red Feather & Tubbs use torsion bars, with Atlas IMO being the stiffest.

My prefrence for Northern Lites is both weight driven as well as I prefer the simplicity of their bindings. They easilly adjust for everything from trail runners (which I use most of time year around) to bigger boots.

Ed T

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
In mountainess terrain, don't go with too big of a snowshoe. Sherpa actually did a very comprehensive study a number of years ago and their conclusion was that unless you were in fairly level terrain with deep snow, a smaller snowshoe was more efficient because it had less weight and less snow to lift up with each step. The older traditional 'shoes with lacing rather thana solid deck allow the snow to mostly fall through when lifted.

Ed T

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Alright, two pages and noone has said it yet, so I will - you may be better off with backcountry geared XC skis than snowshoes anyway. I certainly prefer skis for traveling in the winter myself.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by evanhill
Alright, two pages and noone has said it yet, so I will - you may be better off with backcountry geared XC skis than snowshoes anyway. I certainly prefer skis for traveling in the winter myself.

I'll agree to disagree with Evan. Overall I generally prefer snowshoes to skis but my main reason is that with snowshoes, I am able to wear a boot like my Inov-8 X-Talon 240's that weigh 21 ounces for a pair (and that size 12.5 boots) and my Northern Lites Backcountry snowshoes that are less than 3 lbs.

Plus snow condition doesn't matter. Hard, icy snow that involves survival skiing is ideal for snowshoeing. I do lots of ridge top travel along the Rocky Mountain Front, where in a mile you may alternate between 30' drifts and 50' to 100 yard bare rock a dozen times. With the snowshoes I just keep going, the worst thats going to happen is to remove the paint from the frame. With skis, I have to take them off each time.

Skis also require a greater learning curve if you haven't skied before. That said skiing is LOT of fun!

Ed T

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Skis on a trail are great..even if it's an old skidoo trail. Off trail ski's even wide ones tend to be difficult to use. In the wrong snow conditions they are exhausting. In the right conditions though they are hell for fun and fast.

In Finland you can buy bear hunting skis that are nearly 10 feet long with very flexible tips that float over even spring crust that can make regular back-country ski's instruments of torture.

I love the winter!

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I've always wanted to get a pair of these:
http://www.lightningboards.com/

Ed T

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ed, I hope you're coming to the "Lewis & Clark" Kifaru rondy next month in the Spokane area. I'd really like to reevaluate my bias against snowshoes by watching how well you get around on yours. In all fairness, I do carry snowshoes in the sled for use in camp and in case I run into conditions that skis with skins can't handle.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Evan, I am fairly new here did you set a date for the rondy?
Who is welcome? I might be able to make it.

Thanks, Randy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Randy, this is a Kifaru MB thing, but all are welcome. You can come up to speed Here.

Last edited by evanhill; 01/09/11.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 2,957 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,704
Posts18,456,820
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.