Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
John,

You're probably right about Knapp's loads. But whatever he's using, it sure is fun to watch him break 9 hand-thrown clays before any hit the ground. That's quite a feat! Try it sometime. I can't get 9 clays far enough into the air with one hand, let alone shoot them all.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Not that I would wish it on anyone, but until you know you have had a concussion it is hard to get a handle on the symptoms. They are subtle. I have had a good one and know for a fact that shooting brings on some of the same symptoms.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
...I guess poor old Brett may not be shooting the big bores anytime soon then... wink

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have a .300WM that if it does come out it gets 150s. It has not been out for years. A great shooter, but not worth the price. However, I've been thinking of giving it a go with 130 Barnes.

Pretty much how I ended up when the step gave way on a treestand on the way down. I was lucky a concussion was all I had. Wish I would have been wearing a helmet. smile

Got myself together and finished out the day hunting, but when driving home over 35mph I couldn't focus. Then the headaches came, along with having a hard time reading for any length of time. Restless/irritable and not sharp. Mule Deer was right, sleep became erratic.

Anything over a normal weight .308W-and even that if many shots are taken-brings on the slight headache.

Love my .22lrs for just screwing around and they keep you in tune.

A Nula 7mm-08 has not caused any symptoms even tho it is lighter. I'm thinking the stock design has something to do with it.

Last edited by battue; 01/05/11.

laissez les bons temps rouler
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I got a severe concussion on Labor Day. I was going hunting to an area I use a mountain bike to reach. I was riding down the mountain on a loaded bike when I had a TIA, also called a "mini-stroke", and couldn't remember how to ride the bike. My right side did not exist as far as I knew. I had the rifle slung across my back with the barrel behind my left shoulder and the butt on the right. Things rapidly went haywire. I hit the ground on my right side and the butt slammed into the ground which caused the barrel to slam into the back of my head. I came to sliding through the gravel with the barrel holding my head down and my right arm out in front grinding away on the gravel. Thought I would never stop sliding!

I have been slow to recover. I started feeling better around Christmas and I shot a rifle silhouette match last Saturday. I shoot mild loads in a 7mm-08, 140's at 2600 fps, 40 rounds plus sighters. I had a headache and felt horrible for the next two days. I suspect the jarring from the recoil was enough to aggravate the concussion.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BATTUE,

I use the 130TTSX's in my 300 Belted Newton. Give 'em a go, you will like the results.

Marc,

So sorry to hear of your TIA and subsequent ailments. Scary stuff those strokes and such! Do you mind if I ask your age? If you were mountain biking one would assume that you were/are in pretty decent overal physical condition, so most would be surprised that you would be susceptible to such, but we are wonderously and fearfully made, says Gods word. A very complicated creation, are we. Thanks and May God bless you and heal you. MARK with a "K" smile

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jeez Marc, that sounds pretty serious. Take it easy and get well soon, ya' hear? Prayers sent for a speedy recovery.

While we're sharing our concussion experiences, I'll share mine: In '84, on a friday/payday, my wife and I were heading to "the big city" (Grand Rapids, MI) on a date. We were travelling on a country road, no doubt going at least 60 mph, when a lady driving an old station wagon full of kids and bad brakes ran a stop sign into our path. From what my wife tells me, and judging from the damage to our vehicle, I tried to swerve out of the way and the right/front of our Chevette hit the side of that station wagon, then our car swung around and the right/rear hit the station wagon. I slammed into my wife sitting in the front/passenger seat hard enough to break and displace both her collar bones. My head went through her window and my leg bent the floor shifter flat to the right. The passenger door bulged outward about 6 inches. I wound up laying on my wife, unconscious. She tried to push me off but the excrutiating pain in her shoulders prevented her from doing so. This happened around 6:00 p.m. They say I began talking and asking what happened about 15 minutes later, but I have no memory until midnight when I woke up and became aware we were in the emergency room. Talk about a headache! I had a severe concussion and whiplash. We went home from the hospital a couple days later, but my wife's problems were just beginning. Her collar bones were still displaced as evidenced by the jagged ends of the fractured bones trying to poke through her skin. I drove her back to the hospital where they tried unsuccessfully to put her bones back in place manually while she sat awake on the examining table. She said she has never before experienced pain to the degree she did when that jackass was reefing on her shoulders, trying to set her collar bones back together. Finally, they took her to surgery where they pieced her back together. She wore a brace for several weeks. My recovery included physical therapy for a couple weeks where they used ultrasonic massage and intermittent traction on my neck. I missed a month of college classes but still managed to graduate at the top of my class.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
We all see how Strict The refs are at the pro football level for helmet to helmet hits.Lots of former players who suffered many concussions wound up with Alzheimer's at an early age.Guys who are in The Army,Navy and Marines who are shooting heavy Artillery and also those exposed to IED`s are getting concussions sometimes on a daily basis.They are having all kinds of problems from this when they get home.Probably not a good idea to shoot heavy recoiling Shotguns and Rifles on a steady basis.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I turned 61 yesterday. I had a heart attack 6 years ago so I guess I am susceptible to clotting and plugged arteries. I try to stay in shape by bicycling and backpacking. This episode really fouled up my deer season though. Cost me my elk hunt. But I did get a buck not far from the road in second season so it's all good!

Moral: Watch those rifles. You can get a concussion from one without pulling the trigger!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Glad you got a deer, hope future seasons go better for you!

Interested in a 416 Rigby or a 340 Tyrannosaur? Maybe a nice light 348AI? smile

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Concussions can have many side-effects....including....irritability. They also can change sleep patterns drastically.

Ever notice how many curmudgeons post at crazy hours of the night on the 'Campfire?!? wink

Seriously, this is something that I had never thought about nor heard of previously. I suppose it is time to be a little more careful with those goose loads, especially slipping one in for my kids to blast with.

I do see one good result of this information: we all have a valid REASON (not excuse) to pick up another few guns. You know, we need the correct recoiling gun for each situation! We might even be able to get a doctor's note recommending such. This is gonna be good!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
jd...................ylesrevda esiwrehto em detceffa it sah ro noegdumruc a gnieb ro gnitsop itin etal htiw od ot gnihton sah liocer taht erus m'I

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by djpaintless
jd...................ylesrevda esiwrehto em detceffa it sah ro noegdumruc a gnieb ro gnitsop itin etal htiw od ot gnihton sah liocer taht erus m'I

Priceless. smile

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Long live the 223AI.....

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Long live the 223AI.....

That's even more priceless!

Ted

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Dakota Deer: re: doctors note; I think DR. KEN HOWELL might be persuaded to give us all PRESCRIPTIONS for concussion protection, i.e. lighter recoiling GUNS. lol

Seriously, those two occasions with me were the only times I noted any problem/problems at all. Both were sufficient recoil and VIRTUALLY no recoil pads. IIRC one was about '79-80 the other was about '89-90.

I learned a long time ago HOW to hold a rifle tight to my shoulder w/trigger hand yet NOT to stiffen my shoulder and back to try and stop recoil.

If you can allow your shoulder & back to go w/the flow of recoil, it will NOT HURT in most cases. The 375 HH is the largest caliber rifle I have shot any at all and it only PUSHED. I SUSPECT there are a few CANNONS that have MUCH MORE recoil than a 375.

This thread MIGHT give me a reason to CONSIDER a 260/6.5 and Dr. Howell's prescription would smooth it out w/my wife.

JWALL

Son I Don't Know You Well Enough To Miss You............Johnny Cash

Last edited by JWALL; 01/06/11.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a great 6.5x55 but to use it I will have to reprogram 40 years of Firearm Marketing departments advertising the need for Magnums and how they make a marginal shot a good one! But sir the deer died with my .243 was that a lucky shot? All of this is probably due to an 870 shotgun I used as a kid at trap league that gave me large black and blue marks every week. Only gun I had and I just had to shoot. Lucky the range made us use ear protection.
To be young and bullet proof again....... Buckfever1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

And finally, is SICS [Shooting-Induced Concussive Syndrome] the actual explanation for the the existence of so many 'Campfire curmudgeons lately??? wink

You may well be on to something here.......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"I learned a long time ago how to hold a rifle tight to my shoulder...."

This comment brought to mind a question I've had for a long time. Why do the armed forces seem to teach holding the AR style rifles with the butt near the top, or on top of the shoulder?

I realize these are normally .223 (i.e. light recoiling) but how do they attain proper control of the rifle?

I would appreciate any explanation the campfire members can provide.

Jim

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
What an eye opener this thread is.

I loaded twenty 400 grain Barnes spire points over a stiff charge of 4198 for my 45.70 last year. Tried to dial them in, but my Ruger did not like them. Wound up shooting all twenty and then some Hornady Revolution stuff to get it back to zero. Maybe 25 - 26 shots total.

Could not remember driving home and wifey kept asking what was wrong. She said I was stranger that usual.

My question to you gun gurus is this:

Can I draw disability from this? Do I have a case?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 16penny, 52 invisible), 2,650 guests, and 1,114 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,225
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.