Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
bsa1917hunter,

I have had several of the BSA Sporter 17s, and agree with you on them being the "poor mans pre-64" . Their only serious drawback is that they are a tad heavy, which prompted me to rechamber one of the Ds to 270 Wby.

That was my first 270 Wby, and Bevan King did the job. He said the steel cut as smoothly as any new barrel he had made, and that getting it to to feed into the coned breech was a piece of cake. It shot just as well after the job as before, and killed a very nice bear just a few days later.

Yours looks very nice, and the Redfield variable sure fits the vintage well.

Ted

BP-B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Here's my classic in swampys favorite chambering (30-06):
[Linked Image]
She's a shooter too for a model 70 (group size .650"):
[Linked Image]
And lastly, my buddies featherweight with my handloads shot about 2 months ago. He wasn't happy with his first group and as you can see he really bared down to make the other group count:
[Linked Image]
This was a featherweight after about 25 rounds were sent down range!! He's the owner of this beauty:
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Yukoner
bsa1917hunter,

I have had several of the BSA Sporter 17s, and agree with you on them being the "poor mans pre-64" . Their only serious drawback is that they are a tad heavy, which prompted me to rechamber one of the Ds to 270 Wby.

That was my first 270 Wby, and Bevan King did the job. He said that the chamber cut as smoothly as any new barrel he had done, and that getting to to feed was a piece of cake. It shot just as well after the job as before, and killed a very nice bear just a few days later.

Yours looks to be a very nice example of these rifles, and the Redfield variable sure fits the vintage well.

Ted

Thanks for the coments, I agree that it is a tad heavy grin. I have often thought of rechambering it to something like 308 norma, but like it as a 30-06 and it is damn accurate. I'm starting to have more 06's than I know what to do with though. Maybe it is time for that norma grin.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You sure wouldn't be going far astray with a Norma Mag. smile

Both are great cartridges!
Ted

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've always wanted a 308 norma, just don't have the guts to start cutting on my bsa frown

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
And lastly guys, here's the new rifle I just bought from a member here (dc3483). Hopefully he puts it in the big brown truck on monday grin. A FN PBR XP 300 wsm:
[Linked Image]
Yep, this is the one I've got my fingers crossed on whether or not it is going to be a shooter. By all rights It should shoot better than any other model 70 I've got, but we'll see.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Who put the rail on backwards? smile ...........................dj

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Funny dj. grin

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
It rained most of the day but cleared up just before dark, so I slipped out to the bench on my back porch and shot this group with my 1952 M70 standard rifle in .30-06. I've only had it a month and we're still getting to know each other, but so far things look promising. This is the one-inch five-shot group of myth and legend (actually 1.012") but a better shooter with a more precise target would probably have resulted in a better group. I don't care; I'm happy with the rifle and thrilled with my start to the new year.

The load is 150-grain Hornady softpoints and 56.0 grains of Big Game, in Federal cases and F215 primers. The scope is a Leupold
Rifleman 2x7, set on 7X and using a six o'clock hold.

[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

Last edited by gaperry59; 01/01/11.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Damned nice! Thanks for sharing, see swampy there are some model 70's that can shoot grin.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
bsa you are wasting your time with that idiot. When I posted the target below his profound response was to say I shot it from ten yards. jorge

[Linked Image]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jorgeI
bsa you are wasting your time with that idiot. When I posted the target below his profound response was to say I shot it from ten yards. jorge

[Linked Image]

375 H&H. Nice shooting jorgeI. One of these days I'm going to get a nice 375 grin.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Snoop is right, those old pre64 Model 70s just will not shoot. Today my .308FWT-wearing a McMillan suit and 6x36 with PD-would only put 9 of 10 inside and inch at 100. However, it did place all 4 in under 2in at 200. I just can't trust that rifle. I guess I should sell it. Dang and I really liked it a lot. It also likes to suck on copper. There is another reason.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by battue; 01/05/11.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I never get tired of looking at some of the targets you guys post. Especially when they are shot with the pre-64's. I went out the other day and froze my azz off (15 degrees) and shot my 30-06's a little. The pre-64 proved to shoot the best out of 3 rifles I had. I already posted pics of the targets in the "how accurated is your 30-06" thread or I would post them here. Ah what the hell, here's 2 targets anyway grin:
5 shots at 100 with 165 sierra gamekings:
[Linked Image]
Another 5 shots at 100 with 165 hornady interlock spire points:
[Linked Image]
My classic sporter shot the best 3 shot group of the day with the same 165 sierra GK load @ .4570" (what's one more going to hurt blush):
[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
685 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 83 invisible), 2,776 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,634
Posts18,398,904
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.