24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've been experimenting lately with something a little different in pocket knives - fixed blades.

What makes it possible is different pocket sheaths available from Knives Ship Free. I've tried 3 basic models. One is a small sheath with room for a knife and then a leatherman micra or firesteel. 2nd is a slightly larger and has room for a Surefire backup flashlight and a small knife. The 3rd is a larger sheath meant for the pocket of a hunting coat. It has room for a larger knive like a Fallkniven f-1, Bark River Gunny or similar and a 2 123 cell flashlight or similar.

Here's a pic of the 3 different sheaths with the knives and stuff inside:

[Linked Image]

Now a pic of the knives and accessories without the sheaths:

[Linked Image]

And then some of the different knives I've carried:

[Linked Image]

The knives are an original Bark River Highland Special top left, Bark River Gunny Top right. Then l-r on bottom 2 Arnoud Bernard blades and then a Barkie PSK and Micro Canadian.

I daily carry a Surefire backup flashlight and a leatherman Micro in pocket so I've tried the 2 different sheaths to see which carries better. I'm leaning towards the smaller sheath with the Micra in the extra pocket. The flashlight is easier to find deeper in pocket than the Micra simply since it's larger.

I love the hunter's sheath for the front right pocket of my hunting jacket. I think it's a great way to carry your main knife and a flashlight, backups for both are in pants pocket. The hunters sheaths found their way into my good buddies christmas stockings - they liked them too.

I'm still deciding if I prefer the fixed blades over a folder but the little knives cut pretty darn well and the PSK and Mini-Canadian are very non-threatening if you have to pull them out in public. I've had more than a couple cute gals ooh and aah over them smile.

Anyway if you have a knive that might fit they might be well worth the $25-$30 for the sheath to see how you might like them yourselves. You can find them here:

http://www.knivesshipfree.com/Pocket-Sheaths

Happy New Year to you all..........................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I prefer fixed blades, and especially like the Mini-Canadian and Micro-Canadian from Bark River. Nice knives BTW.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been carrying a Charles May Fireant with a pocket sheath for 2 years. As much as I try and like folders, the Fireant always kicks them out of my pocket.

I think it is the perfect size, and can handle my everyday tasks with ease..

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Love Bark River Knives. Have four. Also like the idea of pocket sheaths for fixed blades.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Here is food for thought. Sometimes my hunting coat gets too heavy with all the important "stuff" I carry. So, I rigged a shoulder holster for a small fixed blade utility knife and mag light. Works good and it is leaves your pockets for other stuff.

a wet bird never flies at night unless it has to
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DOO_DAH
Here is food for thought. Sometimes my hunting coat gets too heavy with all the important "stuff" I carry. So, I rigged a shoulder holster for a small fixed blade utility knife and mag light. Works good and it is leaves your pockets for other stuff.

Seems like a good plan if you don't like stuff in your pockets. They also make a "Baldric" to help support the weight of a larger knife:

http://www.jerzeedevil.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38356

a bit of a variation on what you made but the same general idea.

For me I like lots of pockets and tend to fill them..............................................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have been carrying a small fixed blade in my pocket for some time now. Other than the AG Russell "WoodsWalker", the rest were commissioned by me, and custom made.
[Linked Image]

Sam......

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They are nice sheaths and nice knives pictured throughout this thread.
I prefer to carry a fixed on my belt as having my pockets with either the sheath or a fixed blade crimps squatting,bending,sitting, etc.
I like some of the kydex sheaths that carry the knife high on the belt for every day carry as they are easy to cover with coat or clothing.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't 'pocket carry' knives any larger then these. Much past two inches in blade length, and a fixed blade is in a belt sheath.

Sam......

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The A.G. Russell Woodswalker is a good, affordable knife. I bought one about 20 years ago at the Blade Show in Atlanta. Carried in the leather sheath they sell for it in a back pocket, it is readily available and weighs very little.

μολὼν λαβέ
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by TNrifleman
The A.G. Russell Woodswalker is a good, affordable knife. I bought one about 20 years ago at the Blade Show in Atlanta. Carried in the leather sheath they sell for it in a back pocket, it is readily available and weighs very little.
I've had one for years. Easy to sharpen little knife, and very lightweight. Ideal for small game field prep, or even kitchen use, or as a personal steak knife. I got mine with the Kydex neck sheath, but think I would have been better off with the leather pocket sheath.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Boot works good too

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got a Woodswalker many years ago and liked it so much that a buddy made me a nice little leather belt sheath for it. Still have em', and still use em'.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a little Gene Ingram Naked Hippo in S30V that is scary sharp. I plan to put some thin deer antler scales on it someday. It is sweet, but I have never carried it. I also have a Woodswalker with the leather pocket sheath.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
159 members (257 mag, 2UP, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 13 invisible), 1,471 guests, and 829 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,904
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.